Drbchy

Firearm purchase as a part time resident

Wouldn't he need matching NJ ID also? DL etc.?
No. Matching addresses is an old wives' tale. To buy from a dealer, one must produce government issued documents showing a photo, current address, and DOB. The out of state DL would suffice for the Photo and DOB, and the FPID or Permit for the address.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, PK90 said:

No. Matching addresses is an old wives' tale. To buy from a dealer, one must produce government issued documents showing a photo, current address, and DOB. The out of state DL would suffice for the Photo and DOB, and the FPID or Permit for the address.

To purchase, yes.  But Even my passport wouldn't get me my FID when I tried.  It had to be licence to prove residency and address to NJSP.  I guess we'll wait and see.  DRBCH let us know what the cops want from you. 

To purchase, yes.  But Even my passport wouldn't get me my FID when I tried.  It had to be licence to prove residency and address to NJSP.  I guess we'll wait and see.  DRBCH let us know what the cops want from you. 
As asked and answered, one needs a FPID or Permit to buy in NJ. To get those, you’ll need to prove residency to the PD, ie tax bill or utility bill issued by the municipality.

PK90 is correct (as per usual, lol)!

There is NOTHING in the 2C statutes preventing the Blind from owning/acquiring/collecting/shooting/using/transferring/selling/buying firearms.  SO NO DRIVER'S LICENSE IS NEEDED!  Unless you're the schmuck that expects the Blind to DRIVE....  So ANY government issued photo-id is acceptable in place of a DL!

13 hours ago, BobA said:

Some people have gotten a NJ boat license to make it easier to buy here in NJ.

The NJSP wouldn't accept a government issued tax bill (or some other government issued bill) to prove residency?

8 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

The NJSP wouldn't accept a government issued tax bill (or some other government issued bill) to prove residency?

Nope. Once at the Somerville barracks and twice at Kingswood barracks 3 different troopers in all.  Only a drivers license. This is personal experience not hear say. I was dumb founded considering motor vehicle will not even accept one and makes you do that 6 point crap. 

2 hours ago, BobA said:

Nope. Once at the Somerville barracks and twice at Kingswood barracks 3 different troopers in all.  Only a drivers license. This is personal experience not hear say. I was dumb founded considering motor vehicle will not even accept one and makes you do that 6 point crap. 

Do you have a local PD in your town? If not you need to go to the NJSP station that serves your town - I'm a little confused why you would go to two different NJSP stations............

You may want to try getting a NJ boat license. I know some members of this forum have them and a out of state DL, though they may have gotten their FPID cards when they still had a NJ DL. Maybe they'll chime in.

When I got my FID I didn't ask for any P2P as I was not yet into pistols. Back then one could go to the nearest station. Somerville was closest to my work. Sometime after that when I returned to apply for pistol purchase they informed me I had to go to the barracks that serviced my town. Quite the hardship in my case but I followed the rules and the rest is history. 

I believe the law states you need a license with your current address on it to apply for a FPID. I'm curious if they would put  your out of state residence on the FPID.

You don't have to be a resident of NJ to get a FPID so there must be a way.

When you go to buy the gun it is not the same requirement.

43 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I believe the law states you need a license with your current address on it to apply for a FPID. I'm curious if they would put  your out of state residence on the FPID.

You don't have to be a resident of NJ to get a FPID so there must be a way.

When you go to buy the gun it is not the same requirement.

So you are saying one needs to drive to get a FPID? :slap:

Law states to the effect of "as prescribed by....". In all its wisdom, the powers be decided to put "Drivers License Number & State" (#8 field) on STS-033 form. There is no place for a separate "State Issued ID/Other". They also have a "Social Security Number" field, but small print by the Signature tells you its optional and your application may dive into black hole if you don't give it to them. 

Apparently the "prescriber" doesn't understand what he/she is "prescribing".  They should have mentioned a "Government Photo ID", but then they would actually be reading law, using lot of common sense and actually help people get FPID. 

So yes, if you are visually challenged, live in NJ, you better get a "Drivers License", even if its just a DMV PhotoID (they are willing to overlook that much). 

If you are a part-time resident, but have DL from another state, you can mention that DL & State on the form. This way, you simply "point" to the form if anyone asks why you mentioned DL from different state. 

6 hours ago, PK90 said:

So you are saying one needs to drive to get a FPID? :slap:

I got into a rather heated debate when I moved into my new home last year with both a detective and the records woman at the PD... They wouldn't allow me to apply with out my Driver's license, with the correct address. Wouldn't take anything else, maybe the DMV no drivers license ID card.

13:54-1.4 Applications for a firearms purchaser identification card and for a permit to purchase a handgun
 (a) Every person applying for a firearms purchaser identification card or for a permit to purchase a handgun shall
furnish such information and particulars as are set forth in the application form designated STS-33

2 hours ago, Drbchy said:

Thanks guys for all the input. I was thinking of getting NJ ID card (not DL) to establish my residence then apply for the FPID. 

I'm pretty sure you can just use your Driver's license from your home state. They do give IDs to non-resident.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you can just use your Driver's license from your home state. They do give IDs to non-resident.
I believe the goal is to get a FPID and Permits for one's residence in NJ without having to change the driver's license with an address of the non-NJ home.

You'll know when I tell you where I'm from... Yup, CA! We have the most retarded, unconstitutional handgun laws in CA in terms of the "handgun roster". Only guns in the roster can be purchased for "safety" reasons. It's basically the CA government extorting money out of the gun manufacturers. They have to pay a fee for every gun they list on the roster. So for example, the Springfield 1911 TRP full rail is on the roster so it's legal to purchase in CA. If u want the same gun with half rail? Nope, not on the list. Total BS!

Anyway, there r some guns I would like to purchase not on the roster. Since I have a place in NJ, why not take advantage? Maybe this is going to be harder than I thought? I guess I'll find out this summer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Drbchy said:

You'll know when I tell you where I'm from... Yup, CA! We have the most retarded, unconstitutional handgun laws in CA in terms of the "handgun roster". Only guns in the roster can be purchased for "safety" reasons. It's basically the CA government extorting money out of the gun manufacturers. They have to pay a fee for every gun they list on the roster. So for example, the Springfield 1911 TRP full rail is on the roster so it's legal to purchase in CA. If u want the same gun with half rail? Nope, not on the list. Total BS!

Anyway, there r some guns I would like to purchase not on the roster. Since I have a place in NJ, why not take advantage? Maybe this is going to be harder than I thought? I guess I'll find out this summer.

http://njsp.org/firearms/forms.shtml

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sts-033.pdf

5 hours ago, PK90 said:

I believe the goal is to get a FPID and Permits for one's residence in NJ without having to change the driver's license with an address of the non-NJ home.

Then he would have to establish residency in NJ. ESPECIALLY if he wants to buy a handgun here.  There is no such thing as a part time resident in NJ. Isnt that a federal law?

9 minutes ago, Drbchy said:

The only way to establish residency in NJ is to get NJ DL?

I think NJ uses part-year residence as a term to clarify taxing purposes.

The only way to establish residency in NJ is to meet the criteria for being a resident. Only residents can be issued a drivers license.

AND you cant buy a handgun in a state you are not a resident of. 

• Like 1