SmittyMHS

Been thinking about a 10-22

And other then reading about them, never shot or even fondled one. I see that Palmetto has one on sale today for $199 with free shipping. Is this some bottom of the barrel no frills bad machining model or are all the carbines really the same with just the stock different?

.Ruger 10/22 Carbine Autoloading .22 LR Rifle w/ Hogue Overmolded Stock & Threaded Barrel

10/22s aren’t bad out of the box. The barrels on them are usually good enough for most people... but like an AR, people like to modify them.

Personally, I recommend the Takedown. While the standard works, compactness and ease of cleaning the barrel is better with the Takedown. If you get a shorter barrel, and then that Magpul Backpacker stock, your rifle is along the lines of a AR-7... that is Ruger 10/22 reliable.

If it was only that gun, and not having a 10/22... I’d buy it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

And other then reading about them, never shot or even fondled one. I see that Palmetto has one on sale today for $199 with free shipping. Is this some bottom of the barrel no frills bad machining model or are all the carbines really the same with just the stock different?

.Ruger 10/22 Carbine Autoloading .22 LR Rifle w/ Hogue Overmolded Stock & Threaded Barrel

I think stock wood ones go for around that price. The threaded barrel is useless in nj.. 

10/22 go in the must have section. Great guns.

A takedown version is on my short list.

• Like 1

I love the takedown. I bought the BX trigger at the same time as the gun, but honestly didn't feel it was necessary when I shot it stock before replacing parts. Definitely get the VQ bolt release. I chased an empty soda can off hand at 50 yards without a scope and cheap ammo. I can stretch it to 100 when seated. Really fantastic 22. The backpack is pretty cool as well, though buy actual straps for it off amazon.

I looked at the takedown. IMO useless unless you live someplace else that you could actually use it in the field.. Plus I don't intend to hike much at my age so whats the point.

That is part of the role for a Takedown, but if you look at long guns around the turn of the last century (1900), they were also made to make cleaning easier.
  • Like 1

Everyplace I looked were over $260 or so for the base carbine. At $200 and free shipping I thinks its a pretty good deal. Plus my dealer only charges $20 for the transfer since I'm a member. Now I have to start looking at goodies for it.  :D 

If you are willing to go on a little drive, Tanner's in Jamison, PA has both wood and synthetic new for $179. They used to have Kryptec takedowns for 239.

If you can wait a month or so, black friday sales usually include a basic 10/22.

Just got conformation it shipped today (Sunday?) I already have the BX trigger. bolt release, Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x40 scope, Leupold rings, Picattiny rail, on order. Hope it all comes this week so I can shoot this thing soon.

I think I've read that the CCI Mini mags aren't a good match for the 10-22. Anyone find that true?

i

18 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Just got conformation it shipped today (Sunday?) I already have the BX trigger. bolt release, Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x40 scope, Leupold rings, Picattiny rail, on order. Hope it all comes this week so I can shoot this thing soon.

I think I've read that the CCI Mini mags aren't a good match for the 10-22. Anyone find that true?

i

I've shot 4 or 5 different kinds of ammo, mostly cheap stuff through my 10/22. CCI surprisingly was the only one that caused problems in it. I got 3 FTF out of 50 rounds while I've shot almost 1000 of Federal bulk and various other ammo without a single issue. 

I have shot a couple thousand rounds of mini mags from my 10/22..  i could probably count on 1 finger how many issues i've had with it.  As a matter of fact, I can probably count on one HAND how many issues i have had with my 10/22 with all ammo that I have tried (and I have used at least 6 or 7 different kinds in it).  Mini mags (RN and HP), Winchester M22, Remington GB, Federal HP bulk, Winchester SuperX, Winchester bulk (which, coincidentally is the kind i had the most trouble with, and by that i mean about 3 FTF's out of approx. 150 rds).. 

Take your 10/22, shoot all sorts of different brands..  Chances are, you will have very few issues.  Its a great plinking gun. 

• Like 2