JayWilling

NRA Oks Bumpfire Regs

wait? the nra in favor of restricting our rights? who'da thunk??

Same old NRA... been not giving a crap about NJ for years, now going to toss something that was approved as not a machine gun by the ATF (under Obama) into the furnace.

Glad I didn’t get a chance this year to donate more money to them... will not do it again.

It is friking genius, hey are playing a much smarter game then most people realize. They read the tea leafs,  and know that congress wants to do "something". 

By doing what they are doing, they take the wind out of "evil NRA is pro bump-stock", they point out it was the Obama era ATF that approved them and they are urging the ATF to look at them. That means that if the ATF reclassifies them, it takes the wind out of legislative actions that could be broader and dumber and could later be undone again with just and administrative change 

Before people are ready to burn their NRA cards like 70's bra's, consider that they have some pretty smart people working there, they are not the most powerful lobby for nothing. 

• Like 6

It is friking genius, hey are playing a much smarter game then most people realize. They read the tea leafs,  and know that congress wants to do "something". 
By doing what they are doing, they take the wind out of "evil NRA is pro bump-stock", they point out it was the Obama era ATF that approved them and they are urging the ATF to look at them. That means that if the ATF reclassifies them, it takes the wind out of legislative actions that could be broader and dumber and could later be undone again with just and administrative change 
Before people are ready to burn their NRA cards like 70's bra's, consider that they have some pretty smart people working there, they are not the most powerful lobby for nothing. 

Exactly! Didn’t we just have an event two Saturdays ago where we discussed that we here in the 2nd amendment community are our own worst enemies. This thread is a prime example. Now the NRA gets to show they can compromise, puts the onus on the dems to show they can “reciprocate” and not long after we can get this overturned in the courts.
  • Like 3

Talk to any NFA machingun collector and they will tell you the NRA does not care about this segment of the market and would readily sell them out.  It's always been about protecting the huge semi-auto black arms, handgun, and Fudd sportsmen industries.

If you look historically, the NRA has never done anything in support of NFA other than suppressors (which is another potentially lucrative new market).  NJ gun owners have probably gotten more resources and dedication from NRA than the NFA collector community.  At worst, there is almost a Fudd-like disdain for machine guns by the NRA.

NRA and Wayne LaPierre would sell out bumpstocks and NFA machine guns in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I think it’s trap. The left always says we need to compromise. Well here it is. The left of course will show their true colors and only want to take

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/10/05/pelosi-certainly-hope-bump-stock-ban-beginning-slippery-slope-gun-control/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Darrenf said:

Exactly! Didn’t we just have an event two Saturdays ago where we discussed that we here in the 2nd amendment community are our own worst enemies. This thread is a prime example. Now the NRA gets to show they can compromise, puts the onus on the dems to show they can “reciprocate” and not long after we can get this overturned in the courts.

So what did the other side offer to "reciprocate"?

• Like 1

I see. I'm assuming you're referring to this from the NRA statement:

"To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."

Do you know what that reminds me of?

But I may be too stupid, to undereducated--some even say an irredeemable deplorable--to grasp the multilevel of Vulcan game of chess the NRA is playing.

We''ll see.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

you can bet that they'll sell us out on items such as the bump stock, and we still won't get national recip

We won't but as long as they ask pretty please with sugar on top and that's ok. Oh and if anybody thinks the wolves will be satiated just with the bump stock, then you haven't been paying attention. That's what makes this capitulation so asinine. But that's just the cynical me talking.

1 minute ago, WP22 said:

. Oh and if anybody thinks the wolves will be satiated just with the bump stock, then you haven't been paying attention. That's what makes this capitulation so asinine. But that's just the cynical me talking.

No one at the NRA and certainly not me think they will be satisfied.  That's not what this is about.  

1 minute ago, WP22 said:

Right. A wish and a prayer. Neither of each will get anywhere.

Carry on, then.

How do you think contemptuous legislation gets through?  It's called compromise.  Again, a pawn for a greater gain.  If it doesn't work out, so be it, but it looks like a shrewd move to me so far.  

It amazes me how no one has read the actual opinion written by the NRA.

They pushed the blame on Obama in one breath, and in the next they push for national reciprocity.

They didn't make any ask or demand that bump stocks be banned.  The ATF isn't going to reverse their position at this point.  If they do then they'll look even more like fucking morons than they do now.  If they do, the NRA and everyone else can point at them and laugh, and blame the ATF for the MBS.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sota said:

It amazes me how no one has read the actual opinion written by the NRA.

They pushed the blame on Obama in one breath, and in the next they push for national reciprocity.

They didn't make any ask or demand that bump stocks be banned.  The ATF isn't going to reverse their position at this point.  If they do then they'll look even more like fucking morons than they do now.  If they do, the NRA and everyone else can point at them and laugh, and blame the ATF for the MBS.

Nuance & FACTS are completely LOST on the emotional among us.  The same gun owners that can't grasp high school punctuation (2C statute on firearm transportation:  comma OR locked in the trunk of an automobile) can't grasp the true meaning of a carefully crafted statement.  All they see is a lack of a temper tantrum and wonder why the NRA isn't trying to attempt said tantrum.  Gun rights is the third rail of Second Amendment politics.  Touch it & YOU DIE!  

Here's what Vlad G. said on another thread here on the forum:

"It is friking genius, they (the NRA) are playing a much smarter game then most people realize. They read the tea leafs,  and know that congress wants to do "something". 

Before people are ready to burn their NRA cards like 70's bra's, consider that they have some pretty smart people working there, they are not the most powerful lobby for nothing". 

So before everybody burns their bras, let's see where this thing goes :) 

• Like 1

have to agree with Vlad.

those of us that were in the military and got to play with the full auto stuff got that out of our systems,  yea it would be cool but if we can trade bump stocks for national reciprocity I'm for it but it MUST be very clear.  it must include protections for self loading sporting arms so the USA doesn't have AR15's that look like NY's.

the left needs to learn that black powder and wood for guns are a thing of the past and polymers, cerokote and space age alloys are in the present.

• Like 1

I think I understand the strategy.

(1) Agree that regulations are required so that the other side accepts that and doesn't push for banning bumpfire stocks.

(2) Put the focus on stocks so they don't start trying to ban semi-auto rifles.

The end result will be banning bump fire stocks, lots of talk about banning semi-auto rifles, and no national reciprocity.

If there was no chance of winning this round, the NRA should have just shut up and stayed away.  The NRA screwed the pooch on this one.

• Like 1

they say ban bumpstocks. we say ok, give us national recip. they say we'll think about it. we say ok. they get what they wanted. we get nothing. they say the ban wasn't enough. need to ban <insert item here>. we say give us national recip. they say we need to think about it. we say ok.

well....not we.....but you get the point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I think I understand the strategy.

(1) Agree that regulations are required so that the other side accepts that and doesn't push for banning bumpfire stocks.

(2) Put the focus on stocks so they don't start trying to ban semi-auto rifles.

The end result will be banning bump fire stocks, lots of talk about banning semi-auto rifles, and no national reciprocity.

If there was no chance of winning this round, the NRA should have just shut up and stayed away.  The NRA screwed the pooch on this one.

+1

Reading the NRA statement? Hells Bells, I quoted it. So, yeah, I read it and understood it just fine.