RightNYer

Replacing pinned stock on my M&P Sport II

So I just purchased a new M&P Sport II, and am unfortunately in New Jersey, so it's a "post-ban" featureless model. I don't like the stock, because it's pinned at the fully extended position and is too long for me, so I think I want to replace it with a Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock. 

I have two questions for anyone who has done this. 

First, do I need a new mil-spec buffer tube alone or do I need the whole assembly, with the spring, nut, and all of that? It's not clear to me from the research I've done whether I can keep using the springs that it came with. I also know I need a wrench to remove the tube.

Second, does anyone have any recommendations on a buffer tube, or if necessary, a whole assembly? 

I'm just starting out here, so I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Why not drill out the pin, move it to the position you desire and re-pin it?

Because the NJ compliant model of the Sport II doesn't come with a standard 6 position buffer tube. It comes with a much longer one. Basically, if you drilled the pin out and moved the stock in, the tube would stick out the back. It's very weird.

Yup, they use a rifle length tube and tack a plate in at the carbine stop mark.  Double check if you have a carbine spring and buffer, if so you just need a carbine buffer tube. Just make sure the tube size, commerical or mil-spec, and the Magpul stock are the same (comm-comm or milspec-milspec).  Can reuse the castle nut and plate. No pinning required.

12 minutes ago, T Bill said:

Yup, they use a rifle length tube and tack a plate in at the carbine stop mark.  Double check if you have a carbine spring and buffer, if so you just need a carbine buffer tube. Just make sure the tube size, commerical or mil-spec, and the Magpul stock are the same (comm-comm or milspec-milspec).  Can reuse the castle nut and plate. No pinning required.

Thanks.  This is a really dumb question, but what do you mean by a "buffer" as opposed to a buffer tube. Both my tube and the Magpul are mil-spec, so my only real issue then I guess is what the spring is?