Stonecoldchavez

Suggestions on single stacks

Hello-

I am considering purchasing a single stack polymer handgun. It can be 9mm or 40; I will narrow that down later. 

I am looking at the following:

Walther PPS M2

S&W Shield 

Glock 43

Ruger LC9S

Springfield XDS

Any pro's/con's, thoughts, suggestions, or opinions on these or other single stacks would be greatly appreciated. Some background information: My intended use would be for out-of-state CCW. I have held each one at the LGS, but have yet to shoot any other than the SW Shield (9mm) once awhile ago. I have a G23 already so I am familiar with the G43 functions and features. I do not currently own any 9mm pistols.

Thanks,

S. 

I have had a Kahr PM9 for about 11 years now that has been flawless. Probably has a few thousand rounds of 147gr through it without a hitch. It has nice trigger - feels like a smooth double action revolver - and is very shootable for such a compact pistol. Comfortable and not too snappy. You can get 6 round flush mags or 7 rounders with an extension.

It gets carried almost daily - usually as a BUG on my ankle - but occasionally it gets primary duty in a pocket holster or on my hip in a CompTac rig.

Been happy with my LC9S pro.  I was expecting a lot more kick for such a lightweight gun, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I will say I have the pinky extension on all my mags, since I have larger hands.  Weight when carried OWB around the house, I forget it's even there sometimes.  I gotta get an IWB holster, but seeing how I still don't have a CCW permit for anywhere, it hasn't been a high priority.

I have been carrying the Walther PPS M2 for about a year and I love it. The mags are so small that I usually carry an additional one in a pocket.

When I was looking for a small gun, I wanted one that still maintained some level of ergos. I had a tough time getting mags to release on the G43 and I found it to feel a bit too small (I love Glock btw, and I wanted it to work).

The M&P Shield was/ is my number two. It was pretty much the same, but I just like the sculpted grip of the Walther a bit better. I added the rubber Talon grips and it feels like it was made for me.

I usually carry at the 4 o’clock position, but I shift it to the 3 when sitting/ getting in a vehicle. I use a Patriot holster. It a simple clip on molded plastic deal. Super small, super thin. It doesn’t print that bad when in shorts/ t-shirt. 

As for reliability, I only have about 650 down the pipe plus an additional 50 of my choice carry ammo. 0 hiccups, but I clean my carry guns after every outing, so under those conditions, pretty much any gun would work. 

It is plenty accurate (probably more so than me). I can connect with a standard silhouette at 25 yards with boring reliability. It has less recoil than the G43 and is about on par with the Shield. I would describe it as a smoother recoil impulse though. IIRC, the PPS M2 is a wee bit more top heavy than the Shield which may account for that. I have shot 147 and 124 gr ammo with it but I primarily practice with 115 gr. 

Overall, I like it. Had I never held one, I would have the Shield, and this post would probably read the same way.

Hold and or shoot them if you can. The best gun is the gun that works for you.

I will say if I had to do it again I would get a performance center version of the Shield.  I recently replaced the slide of my M&P full size with a ported performance center slide and the change in accuracy and follow up is impressive. I'd like to get an M&P compact and I plan to wait for the performance center model to be released.

• Like 1

I carry a 9mm Shield with a TLR-6 a 4 o'clock whenever I'm not on base on Guam.  It's constant shorts and t-shirt weather, and I don't have a single issue hiding it.  I was also very surprised at how tame it is to shoot.  Get a pinky extension for the 7rd mag.  It makes a big difference, and it's like $8 off Amazon.

12 hours ago, Splat said:

Liked the way the Shield felt but the trigger guard is too small. I kept hitting the top of my finger on it whenever I'd go to fire. Not good. I was going single stack only until I just happened to handle an FNS9C. Wow. Beautiful, handles great, and a good trigger.

I have an FNS-9.  Great gun.  My only gripe is that I just can't seem to shoot it as well as I'd like.  Guns out here are just too expensive though, and I'm going to wait until getting back to the states to figure out a different full size (polymer that is, I'll always have my 1911:wub:)

9 hours ago, vjf915 said:

I have an FNS-9.  Great gun.  My only gripe is that I just can't seem to shoot it as well as I'd like.  Guns out here are just too expensive though, and I'm going to wait until getting back to the states to figure out a different full size (polymer that is, I'll always have my 1911:wub:)

Check out the Ruger SR9 or their new American. Pretty much same grip as FN's so just as comfortable for me. I still think the SR9 is one of the most comfortable guns.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Splat said:

Check out the Ruger SR9 or their new American. Pretty much same grip as FN's so just as comfortable for me. I still think the SR9 is one of the most comfortable guns.

The SR9 was my first pistol.  Still have it.  Bought it from @Ray Ray back in the day.

I am also looking into pocket pistols. Before I dive in, I just bought a Desantis Nemesis to put my G43 in.  In cargo shorts, fits and works great in the bottom cargo pocket.  For the front pocket it also fits and works, the grip is just below the pocket opening. In a pair of dockers, completely covered, the shape stands out more in the slimmer pants, looks like a notebook in the pocket. 

Am also considering the Ruger LCP2, but do not know if I want to go with the smaller 380 caliber. 

Avoid .380 unless you absolutely have to. The juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

They are making 9mm guns that are marginally larger than their contemporary .380 counterparts and - most importantly - 9mm ammo designed to function with true 9mm terminal effects out of those short barrels so you get proper 9mm velocity and penetration.

There was a time that if you wanted a little gun it had to be .380 or smaller. I am happy to say that those times are gone. There are many flavors of small 9mms suitable for pocket carry. Go with a proven caliber that has the reliable ability to stop fights.

I pocket carry my Kahr occassionally as a BUG. Works great.

Edited by High Exposure
  • Like 2

I carry an XDs .45 almost everyday at the 4 o'clock position in a Bravo Concealment BCA holster with the pancake style loops in warm weather months or where more concealment is needed. Amazing gun. 5+1 in the smallest mag which I can get a full grip on without a pinky extension and my hands are medium sized and a extended 7 round mag on the weak side. Have a few hundred rounds through it with 0 malfunctions. I'm a Glock guy and carry one for work everyday and carry either a G27 or G30 in most other occasions when I can carry a larger gun. Same functions only you have an added grip safety which I do like on the smaller gun. Trigger isn't as smooth as a Glock but is pretty good for a small compact gun. One of the other posts made a great point in shooting each and see what works for you if you can. If not atleast hold each and see what feels right. Good Luck!