Old School

Big Caution I Encountered

Well I was cranking out 9mm on my 550B and caught an OOPS!!!

I take "Range Brass", tumble it Hot Shot lube it and load it.

Standard load 5grs W231 and 115gr fmj

Then check loaded rounds with an EWG chamber gage.

Well one came up short in the gage.

Upon closer inspection the head stamp was marked 9mmM.  9mm Makarov? Maybe?  It was probably 9X18 not 9X19

It ran and primed and charged and seated just fine.  Could have been a BIG problem.

• Like 3

And that's why EVERY piece of ammo we crank out goes in a gage before it goes in an ammo box.

WE are THE quality control guy. There's NOBODY else looking out for us.

Good catch, Old School. And a really good reminder for the reloaders among us.

• Like 2

Even if you aren't gauging every round, there's a good reason to use ammo boxes rather than the sticking them in a jug or zip lock like a lot of people do. When you have something wonky, but case head interchangeable,  you will see which one of these things is not like the others. 

4 hours ago, George Yetka said:

Its probably not the safest thing in the world picking up range brass. But i get excited seeing all that treasure on the ground and have no choice but to pick it up

You're saying it may not be safe because you want it all...LOL

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bully said:

Sometimes I think you say shit just to keep your post count up.

Those days are long gone.  I just don't like reloading.  But thanks for your concern.

8 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Those days are long gone.  I just don't like reloading.  But thanks for your concern.

Raymond - Reloading just adds another dimension to shooting.  You get the experience of being totally involved in the pursuit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old School said:

Raymond - Reloading just adds another dimension to shooting.  You get the experience of being totally involved in the pursuit.

I totally get it, and in all honesty if I had the space I would probably dabble in it too.  I just like to ruffle the feathers of our esteemed members here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I totally get it, and in all honesty if I had the space I would probably dabble in it too.  I just like to ruffle the feathers of our esteemed members here.

It doesn't have to take a lot of space!!

I converted an old black and decker folding workbech into my reloading table.  It fits in the corner of my spare room next to a keyboard and rocking chair.

Join the fun!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tony357 said:

I use an EGW 4 hole gauge, just curious how you found a short case as bullet seating would still be preset length?

Did it fall down further in the gauge?

Post up a picture of that midget!!

Rimless cartridges head space off the case mouth. An empty case will sit as deep in a guage as a loaded one. However, a shorter case will drop in too far. 

The less superior method of looking for oddballs in the ammo boxes comes down to different appearances overall, or the fact that a given press setup won't necessarily seat two different calibers that can make it through the press to the same length. 

19 hours ago, tony357 said:

I use an EGW 4 hole gauge, just curious how you found a short case as bullet seating would still be preset length?

Did it fall down further in the gauge?

Post up a picture of that midget!!

I can't post a pic because I bulled the bullet and reloaded in a good case.

When in the gage the Makarov case head was 1mm below the height of the gage