70gto

opinion needed toyota tundra or chevy silverado

So its time for a new used full sized truck. I love the look of the chevy's but also I have to consider then toyota tundras for reliability . I cant afford anything new. I need a crew cab for kids and the dog. I also need the bed for moving stuff around odd ball stuff around things that wont fit in the wifes suburban. I don't want a money pit obviously. what do you guys think Toyota or chevy , and what years ? I know ford makes a good product but its some sort of mental block against the fords. maybe because every one my dad used to own constantly needed something. I don't care how old I have to go just as long as you guys think its one of gm or Toyotas best year and why please. thanks.

the early/mid 2000's fords are great. 'cept for that $$% spark plug issue in some of the 5.4's. chevy's are nice too. they seem to hold up well. i don't see many problems with them. dodge,,,,,,stay away, toyota seems to be the winner here. those friggin things just run. their v8's seem reliable and strong. their v6's you can't beat. their interiors and bodies seem to hold up better than any of the "big three" too. as much as it pains me, i'd say go with the toyota,.

there was a day when i'd have slapped the crap outta someone for saying anything japanese was better than our stuff. then i learned better....and their products got better.

• Like 1

I got an 02 silverado z71 ex cab with 300k on the odometer right now. It was a couple years old with 68k on it when I got it. All the drive tran is original, only things I've replaced was

2 fuel pumps, one at 120k and the next at 250k

Alternator at 200k

Water pump at 150k

Radiator at 280k

Cats and o2 sensors at 200k

A couple of coils a little over 200

My interior is emaculant, it still runs and drives amazing but there is some rust on the cab corners and rockers. From what I understand now you can prevent the rust with annual maintenance but I was lazy and didn't know any better. 

After my experience with this truck will I ever buy any other brand, fuck no, I'm saving up for another one right now  (l like to pay cash for everything). 

Side note, 2 guys I know we're die hard ford fans both went through 2 trucks each over the years I've had this truck. They both drive silverados now and have indirectly thanked me (because I talked alot of shit every time their fords were in the shop or when i was fixing them and finally when the engine blew in one).

Toyotas, meh, I was a mechanic at the dealer for 2 years when the tundras first came out. After seeing all the weird problems with them I would never buy one. That was many many years ago though so I really don't know anything about the newer ones. I know they are supposedly more made in America than the silverado but I'm way to American to support the japs. (Even though the only thing in this room made in America is the plastic bottle I'm using to feed the baby).

9 hours ago, tony357 said:

my buddys tundra rusted out all over the place. after the rusted frame was replaced..those early fords were junk went through 3 f150s last one was 2002 scrap yard picked it up in the spring. stick to chevy or gmc.

my expedition's got 154k. working on a buddys f150 that's in the 160's. just shipped an 05 f150 to the engine shop. that one's got 290k. mine and my buddys are pretty rusted underneath. mechanicals holding up well. the 05 you'd never guess it was in the 290's. buddys is a 99, mine's an 01

10 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

my expedition's got 154k. working on a buddys f150 that's in the 160's. just shipped an 05 f150 to the engine shop. that one's got 290k. mine and my buddys are pretty rusted underneath. mechanicals holding up well. the 05 you'd never guess it was in the 290's. buddys is a 99, mine's an 01

Transmission failure on all three..one engine failure. and lots of other sensors and what not..And all the maintenance was done i still have one sitting in yard 4x4 stopped working engine is consuming oil at high rate so i parked it eaating quart every week. and all three have the infamous exhaust manifold leak i repaired the one we replaced the engine on replacement engine also was rotted had 94k on it purchased from cosmo's with 90 warranty no shit!! Plus the body and cab rusting out..They just were not good vehicle..the 97 through 2002 f150 is a throw away truck.

i've had a few of the manifold leaks. i farm them out. too much of a pain in the butt to deal with here. i haven't had any issues with the fords or chevys eating oil yet. i've got a small fleet that uses mostly toyota corollas....and 3 or 4 of theirs are burning about a quart every 1k miles. haven't had any tranny issues yet with any of these. my buddys has a bad a/c compressor though.

my biggest issue with the fords is how the engine comes out.....you either lift the cab off the frame or tear the entire nose apart and pull it out through the front........i'd like to do mean things to the moron that came up with that.

The wife has a2016 suburban. Great truck. I have a 2010 suburban and recently it's running rough idle with stabikitrack /traction control lights on. Etc. Can be an easy fix or a hundred other things.  It's got 120k on odometer. 

Chevy too me always seemed more refined and rode smoother than other trucks.  Tundras the newer ones look nice but the only real interest I have in them is they appear or seem to have less gremlins over the long haul.

I looked at 2007 gmc lbz diesels. Seem to be reliable but 25 to $29000 for a 10 year old truck with well over 100k on odometer blows me away. 

My wife will drive the new stuff. Me like I said don't mind an older get around truck. I don't care the year or make. I'm just picking your brains for experiences for better years or makes etc.. 

Like some of you guys said. Rust does seem to be an issue with some of the Toyota's 

I believe in supporting the guys on this board first. So i try to buy and deal with them before I reach out to general public. So if there is an experienced gm mechanic who could breath some life in the 2010 without killing me on price.  I would give it a go and limp through the winter and take my time truck shopping. I'd really don't want to bring it to the dealer. 

Either way a new used truck is gonna happen for me. 

As a contractor I recommend GMC we used to love the fords in the 90s but the last one we bought lasted 100k as a delivery truck so a little over a year. the next not much longer than that we bought an 01 silverado it lasted 300k then the 2007 next went 320k current is a 16 and it has 120k and is running great. our foreman trucks usually get a minimum of 200k. All of this with basic oil changes unless something falls off of em

we had a toyota in there first trans went at 65k second at 110k

Had a 2001 tundra and simply loved it. I'm a mechanic so I did all repairs myself which were nothing but normal maintenance. It finally succumbed to rust. I didn't get the new frame when they were giving them out. Dealer told me I didn't qualify. I was gonna keep it and start replacing stuff, swing arms, spring mounts, cross members........ wife told me to get a new one. Just got a new ford 150 xlt 4x4 super crew. Its a really nice truck. Rides great. The reason I went ford was simply curb weight. It was under my tow rating for RV. Toyota, GMC, Dodge all to heavy. I have 1100 miles on it now so we will see how long it lasts. I have to say the V6 eco boost is very impressive partnered with the 10 speed auto. I plan on it being my last pickup purchase........

I guess I really didn't answer your question did I?

Ive had em all.  I have 2012 Tundra now with 49,xxx.  Favorite truck by far.  Plenty of of power.  I have on more than a few occasions had close to 2000lbs in the bed without issue on a couple of state hauls.  Im keeping it till I retire in 9 years.  Then Ill get a new tundra and use this on the farm.  I also have added a Plow with out any issue.  2nd season.