Sign in to follow this  
Bully

Calling All Hunters

Senator Raymond J. Lesniak

Tonka would be alive today if, in 2010, Governor Christie & the Democratic! Senate and Assembly hadn’t reduced the feet from residential homes for bow & arrow hunting from 450 ft. to 150 ft.

Go to my event page and sign up for next Wednesday’s FaceBook Live press conference from 6:30-7:30 pm at the home of Tonka’s family, Jim & Liz Mongno , to announce legislation to expand the buffer from hunting for residents and to give notice to homeowners when hunting is allowed near their property.  Joining Jim & Liz will be the legislation’s prime co-sponsor Senator Kim Bateman. We will have a Q/A period for the press and everyone participating.  Senator Bateman & I voted NO in 2010 to reduce the buffer protection for families and the pets.

I copy/pasted this from another board.

This is another attempt by the liberal elite to restrict both hunting and firearms rights in NJ.  

It's gonna get ugly folks.  Really ugly.

Tonka is the name of a family dog that was shot by a hunter.  It's what the administration is using to promote this bill.

That sucks. I’m sure the buffer zone distance had nothing to do with it. Knowing NOTHING about it I feel reasonable in guessing the hunter was a total moron and possibly even a psychopath.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bully said:

Tonka is the name of a family dog that was shot by a hunter.  It's what the administration is using to promote this bill.

Do you have a news link to the incident? I would like to know the details because I gotta tell you if anybody shot my dog I would be pissed too

Edit---so I googled it and found several articles. I'm not a hunter so I don't know. But would you mistake this for a coyote?

No automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: one or more people and dog

http://nypost.com/2017/09/25/beloved-family-dog-shot-dead-by-hunter-with-crossbow/

My problem with it is that there are hundreds if not thousands of hunters that go in and out of the woods without incident every day of the season.  This one asshat...

I'd like a word or two with him.

12 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Do you have a news link to the incident? I would like to know the details because I gotta tell you if anybody shot my dog I would be pissed too

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/family_dog_shot_dead_when_hunter_mistakes_it_for_c.html

As a hunter, your suppose to look identify what your shooting at. i never shoot towards houses even if their 450 feet away, and always make sure theres a hill behind the deer to stop said buck shot. But not surprised us good hunters have always paid the price for dumbass who should retake the hunting course every year.

Yeah, "Tonka" does look a lot like a coyote.

"Elizabeth Mongno said she was walking her Alaskan Shepherd, Tonka, on Wednesday when the dog spotted a deer and darted into the woods next to her house.

As she waited for the 1-year-old dog to return, Mongno says she heard a pop and a yelp. She immediately knew something was wrong.

About 10 minutes later, she found Tonka about 50 feet from her property line.

"I let out a blood-curdling scream, yelling 'Someone killed my dog, who killed my dog?'" said Mongno, of Readington.

Police said a hunter mistook the dog for a coyote chasing a deer and shot the Alaskan Shepherd with a crossbow. Under state law, hunters are permitted to shoot coyote."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lilred121986 said:

idk if nj has the same law but in vermont you get fined for having dog chase wild game saw it on a show about fish and game up there.

There are many states that don't allow for dogs to take down wild game...  NJ there's fines for allowing your dog to run loose in the woods...

https://www.animallaw.info/article/table-state-and-federal-laws-concerning-dogs-chasing-wildlife

Tonka would still be alive if he was on a leash. Sad that it happened as I'm a dog lover but my dogs are leashed everywhere except the dog park.

19 minutes ago, brucin said:

Tonka would still be alive if he was on a leash. Sad that it happened as I'm a dog lover but my dogs are leashed everywhere except the dog park.

Exactly.  A stupid dog owner nearly killed my wife; and if I remember right broke a bone or two.  Stupid owner let her dog run free on the trail, and went after and seriously spooked her horse, who reared, threw my wife, and took off.  Wife to the hospital; horse was found about 5 miles away.

I'm certainly not arguing with anyone about the dog's owner being partly to blame.  But since this state is not all that interested in banning dog walking (yet) but instead making hunting less appealing and more difficult, the primary fault will stand with the hunter.  

They are calling for certified letters to go out to all adjacent properties to inform them of any hunting that is happening.  Adding significant expense to the hunt along with all the fees already associated with hunting (licensing, permits, equipment...) which will, again, make it less appealing.  It'll be cheaper to buy meat at the store soon enough.

Hi all, 

Been lurking on the site for a while and figured it was time to join the masses so I could share this gem of an editorial article with you.  I live in Clinton and receive the weekly "Today in Hunterdon" newspaper.  It's a mostly left-leaning publication that's always good for a laugh.  Anyway, here's the "Letter to the Editor" I want to share.  All spelling and grammar mistakes were printed as is.

EDITOR:

First it was Tonka getting shot.  Now a sniper in Las Vegas killing people.

The committee members of Raritan Township put snipers with weapons designs to kill in your backyard.  Why would they do this? Because the town received about $65,000 from the highest bidders.  No background checks or anything, just to whom paid the highest.  Isn't it interesting that none of them live behind a property with snipers in their backyards? They put them in your backyards, not theirs.  It is unacceptable to have people in a tree stands acting as snipers.  Why are we forced to wait for another accident to happen? Ask the owners of Tonka how they feel.

By the law, these dangerous weapons can be 150 feet from your house but if you own a one or more acre lot, legally they can be one foot from your property line.  How can the Township Committee allow this? It seems reckless and irresponsible. With the Las Vegas shootings and the killing of Tonka in our own backyard, it is time for the Raritan Township Committee to do the right thing and stop hunting on township property.

How many more dogs and people must die? It's never too late to do the right thing.

Call them and demand they put a stop this and protect the people not put them in harm's way.

ANDY JEZENSKY

Raritan Township

Imagine that... someone equating the Vegas massacre to the killing of Tonka the dog.  Wish I could say I'm surprised but unfortunately I've accepted that these people exist and we share Rt. 78 every morning.  Scary.

• Like 1