EWC88

Dodge or Ford?

I believe it is time for me to get a new truck. My current dodge runs fine, but things keep going here and there and I’m not sure if it’s going be worth always putting money into it. 

So as title says, I am looking at another dodge or ford. I will be doing test drives this upcoming week to see how both drive. Curious what your guys thoughts are on both brands. I hear mix reviews on the ford V6 motors, haven’t heard much on there v8’s.

between those 2, ford. i'm not sure what to think oif the v6 in the f150 though. i'd stick with a v8. dodges are shit though. never knew anyone that was happy with theirs. i've got a 97 dakota.....only thing it's good for is a little bit of sorta hotrodding fun.

Cant speak for new - but I had an early 90's dodge van and two 04 dodge Durangos...the van wasnt too bad, but all the plasticy-stuff started breaking after a few years.  The durangos were both just junk....rust buckets with so-so electrics and big engines that lived hard and died young.

My ford van (mid 90's) ran and ran.  had problems with the front end (ball joints-common to the breed) and an oil pump that went out at about 150,000 miles.  It still made it home, with a horse/trailer in tow, on just about no oil pressure, then ran another 50-70,000 miles till I let it go.  The '99 F250 is sitting in the driveway, still running strong with about 135,000 on it.  Had to do some front end work at about 115,000 miles, and the air conditioner has decided to take a holiday....not sure why yet. But its old enough to vote, running strong and just starting to show signs of rust 'round the edges.  

I wont buy another dodge.

I have a 11 F150 with the Ecoboost and I have been happy with it, it tows really well and rides nice. I used to have an 01 Ram 3500 with the Cummins and that was a good truck too. It started to rust pretty badly around the cab though and I was always on top of keeping it clean in the winter, but none of the preventative maintenance I did for that seemed to help much. My neighbor just got a new Dodge Ram over an F150 because it was 10k less for a similarly optioned truck. 

Buddy has had nothing but problems with his Dodge over the years. 
I have the 5.0 in my '11 F150 and love the motor. Truck does a lot of work.. the level i put in the front end and big tires are causing some premature wear on the front end but that was expected (didn't care when i first did it, but regretting that now).. going to have to put some work into that.. otherwise, other than a few things covered by warranty (hubs were sticking and an o2 sensor that went bad) haven't had problems..
Fathers chevy is a POS.
Toyotas are supposed to be great.

I like my dodge, yes somethings annoyed me like the damn heater core going every year ($1k+ job), and the lovely rust above fenders and inside doors, oh and yes the dash cracking and seat flaw sucked too lol. Motor ran pretty good though. 

Ford I’ve always liked as well which is why I am looking at them too.

No Toyota for me though, not a fan of the body at all.

28 minutes ago, 67gtonut said:

Anything BUT Dodge....

i prefer Ford or GM

currently own  13 F150 with 5.0 V8

been flawless 

coyote power. :)

24 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Cant speak for new - but I had an early 90's dodge van and two 04 dodge Durangos...the van wasnt too bad, but all the plasticy-stuff started breaking after a few years.  The durangos were both just junk....rust buckets with so-so electrics and big engines that lived hard and died young.

My ford van (mid 90's) ran and ran.  had problems with the front end (ball joints-common to the breed) and an oil pump that went out at about 150,000 miles.  It still made it home, with a horse/trailer in tow, on just about no oil pressure, then ran another 50-70,000 miles till I let it go.  The '99 F250 is sitting in the driveway, still running strong with about 135,000 on it.  Had to do some front end work at about 115,000 miles, and the air conditioner has decided to take a holiday....not sure why yet. But its old enough to vote, running strong and just starting to show signs of rust 'round the edges.  

I wont buy another dodge.

those fords have ball joint issues 'cause ford didn't change much when they went away from kingpins in the 80's. so you've got he ball joints very close together, with a very tall tire. leverage does its deed, and you get ball joints failing way too early.

this might be a good time to remind everyone.

BRAKE LINES. i see common failures of steel brake lines on ALL makes of suv and pickups. normally above the fuel tank. some of the fords rust through d/s front fender area. ever since they've started using brine in the winter, the frequency of brake line repair has gone through the roof.

14 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

coyote power. :)

those fords have ball joint issues 'cause ford didn't change much when they went away from kingpins in the 80's. so you've got he ball joints very close together, with a very tall tire. leverage does its deed, and you get ball joints failing way too early.

They all have their issues, but my major beef with Dodge is particularly the durangos.  Both of em were rustbuckets (and in places where rust isnt supposed to form, let alone blow thru....the hood???) stupid electrical problems, and they had a 'secret' recall on water leaking down from a faulty cowl onto the top of the motor.  That leak, combined with a crappy plastic intake that had warped and unbeknownst to me was sucking air - allowed the engine to waterlock and destroy itself upon start up, one fateful morning.  A durango with 135,000 and a blown engine isnt worth much, or worth fixing.

9 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

this might be a good time to remind everyone.

BRAKE LINES. i see common failures of steel brake lines on ALL makes of suv and pickups. normally above the fuel tank. some of the fords rust through d/s front fender area. ever since they've started using brine in the winter, the frequency of brake line repair has gone through the roof.

GOOD POINT......my son's buick lesabre-an ex-midstate connecticut car- had this issue a few years ago.  Ended-up replacing all the brake lines.  Not particularly difficult, but we had to crawl all over underneath the car.

I'm starting to look at a new vehicle and am considering a PU truck.  I'm not keeping anyone off a list but my thing is that I need to go into NYC at least once a week.  To that end I don't want anything other than a standard cab truck so the Japanese trucks are out.  Only the American manufacturers make a standard cab/short box.  And, being NOT a mechanic, I asked my mechanic what truck to consider.  I figured he would say Ford/Chevy with Dodge a distant 3rd.  

He came back with Dodge as number 1.  Says he sees fewer niggling problems with the newer Rams than the other 2.  Claims the Ford turbo is a complete PITA to work on and the Chevy has some other longevity issues.  

Just what I've been told by a guy that works on them a bunch.  YMMV

Truck that is going is a 02 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7. Has a 4.5” lift with Fox shocks, flow master exhaust, powerchip, running on 35’s. Engine currently has 146k and been running good. Had the arch panels repair, rocker panel, and bottom corner of bed do to rust, and then the lovely heater core issue nonstop..

I have a 2006 2WD ford F150 with the V6 with a 5 speed manual trans. Just turned 100k and no issues, but the V6 is very under powered if you are going to be carrying a lot of weight or towing, anything over a 1000LBS and a hill is a problem. I'm getting 18 MPG overall and plan on keeping it forever as they don't put stick shifts in them anymore.

I prefer GM, and am anti-ford. But the biggest mistake I ever made, and still regret to this day, is getting rid of my 2001 durango, the original design that was based on the dakota. That 4.7 was a beast, had 150k miles on it when i traded it in (stupid, stupid, stupid) and was still running strong. The only problems I ever had with it were caused by user error, but once fixed, she kept on going.

I own a 2016 with the 2.7L and have no issues. Towed 7k without issue and us great on fuel. I've owned my fair share of both Ford and Dodge. I prefer Ford but you get more for your money with Dodge. 

BTW I just went through the same thing on whether I wanted to go with a F150 or a Ram 1500. Ultimately I went with Ram for a few reasons, one of the most important was what I got for the money and I was a "returning customer" for the Dodge dealership since we purchased my wife's car from them in 2012. I just got a better deal. I can't give any insight on longevity of a 2017 Ram 1500 as I've only owned it for 12 days but so far I absolutely love everything about this truck. 

The gen 4 RAM is light years ahead of your '02. The way it rides and handles makes you feel like your not in a truck. I have a '10 and the only thing I didn't like was the old halogen headlights. I swapped in HIDs and now its perfect.  Go  take one for a test ride.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SmittyMHS said:

The gen 4 RAM is light years ahead of your '02. The way it rides and handles makes you feel like your not in a truck. I have a '10 and the only thing I didn't like was the old halogen headlights. I swapped in HIDs and now its perfect.  Go  take one for a test ride.

Mine is the V6 and I was extremely happy/surprised with the acceleration the first time I put the pedal down 1/2 of the way on the highway and how quick it got up to speed. I'm still taking it easy on the engine but the acceleration is amazing. Granted....I'm going for a 2004 Hyundai Accent GL 5 speed manual to this beast LOL

Image may contain: car and outdoor

1 minute ago, InFamous said:

Mine is the V6 and I was extremely happy/surprised with the acceleration the first time I put the pedal down 1/2 of the way on the highway and how quick it got up to speed. I'm still taking it easy on the engine but the acceleration is amazing. Granted....I'm going for a 2004 Hyundai Accent GL 5 speed manual to this beast LOL

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Wait till you do that with the Hemi! :D

• Like 2