EWC88

Dodge or Ford?

6 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

Wait till you do that with the Hemi! :D

I know LOL! I went with the V6 since I won't really be towing, won't have a heavy payload, it's my main vehicle so better gas mileage, and I wanted to save somewhat on gas going from 30ish MPG to a truck MPG. Also cost was a huge factor. Trust me I tortured over that decision for a couple weeks leading up to it. 

13 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Wait till you do that with the Hemi! :D

I liked your comment, but with just one caveat.  My boss drive a Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi.  I have to say, that truck has some huge ball bearings.  It pulls a John Deere tractor on a beaver tail trailer or  two 60"  inch bobcat mowers and a 48" walk behind with the bed full of blowers and other gear effortlessly and competently, BUT, it has been nickle and dimeing him .ever since it hit 90K miles.  sensors, alignment, "modules", and other thingamajigs have gone bad or wrong.  I guess it depends on what day of the week the truck was manufactured, maybe.  It's a nice ride though.  Very comfortable, and , when it's running right, very powerful..

On 10/13/2017 at 9:40 PM, 1LtCAP said:

this might be a good time to remind everyone.

BRAKE LINES. i see common failures of steel brake lines on ALL makes of suv and pickups. normally above the fuel tank. some of the fords rust through d/s front fender area. ever since they've started using brine in the winter, the frequency of brake line repair has gone through the roof.

i have done them 3 times on my super duty they just are not what they use to be, i purchased replacements from local auto store in rolls and made them up.

Ford hands down, my daily driver without a lot of mileage 2001 Ford Excursion 4X4 V10 with 97000. Other than normal wear and tear items, I haven’t put more than 5-6k in the last 8 years, which is still a lot less than payments over that time period, it doesn’t owe me anything and it will be around for many more years.

1 hour ago, tony357 said:

I have boat hauler who does long distance hauling been going thru powerstrokes every year last fall he switched up to dodge cummins so we will see how that one holds up.. he was always a ford guy so time will tell..

the only problem with power stroke engines was normally the operator. it was one of the best non-commercial diesel engines ever built. it had the torque to do what was necessary, and drove almost like you were driving a gas engine.

what normally happened with the power strokes, is that the operator would be running hard, and everything was hot. including the turbo. when they park, they don't give it cool down time, thus cooking the bearings in the turbo.

there's a reason that most emt services used them. and most tow companies used them. over dodge. i drove for a towing company for about 10 years. we had them, and a ud. the ud was a rollback. i did my damndest to stay in one of the fords, although i had to use the ud for heavier stuff. the ONLY problems we ever had with any of the super duties was transmissions(1 was a ford transmission, the others were allisons), and a broken axle on one.

now the 6.0's that ford's using now? you couldn't pay me to take one of those. 'cept as a boat anchor maybe.