Sign in to follow this  
jackandjill

Addison's disease in Dog ?

Our 4 year old female mutt health went down the hill within a week.  She went from  what we thought was upset stomach to very low body temp within day and half.  Wouldn't eat and went from 50 to 44 lb. 

Our vet did series of blood tests that showed very low sodium-potasium ratio. Went for ACTH test and concluded that she has Addison's disease - involving lack of cortisol production (I may be simplifying this). Its chronic and requires life long treatment with mix of corticosteroids. 

Wondering any other dog owners here heard or experienced this and any thoughts. Appreciate it. 

My 1.5 year old mutt has IMT and so did my 8 year old minpin that we had to put down. We have had her on prednisone for 3 weeks now and her platelet count came up but so did her weight.

I feel your pain. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awww... I'm sorry to hear that! But it does sound like it's a controllable condition and your pup can live an active life. Have no direct experience myself, but this looks like an interesting website:

http://www.addisondogs.com/addisons/

Hmmm... they even have a "support group" - so you could probably get lots of answers there from other pet owners. Good luck!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Awww... I'm sorry to hear that! But it does sound like it's a controllable condition and your pup can live an active life. Have no direct experience myself, but this looks like an interesting website:

http://www.addisondogs.com/addisons/

Hmmm... they even have a "support group" - so you could probably get lots of answers there from other pet owners. Good luck!

In two days of searching, I missed that site, thanks for sharing. Got some ideas on medication, costs etc.