fishnut

How much should I sell my scag mower for?

Last year I got a used scag 60" walk behind. Its not running and I had plans to fix it and use it for my house. Now that we plan on moving in the near future and having a smaller yard im thinking i should try and sell the mower. 

When I got it it was running but seemed low on power. Turns out one of the pistons is not moving and that's as I got. I have not had time to pull the engine apart and see what's broken. 

What do you guys think would be a fair asking price sight unseen? 

My guess - with a blown motor it's probably worth about $250-$300 max - if the rest of it is in nice shape.  If it looks like it's been used as a commercial machine every day of it's life then it's probably only worth scrap value.  What motor does/did it have?  

The problem with trying to sell it is most folks don't have the know-how to replace an engine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

My guess - with a blown motor it's probably worth about $250-$300 max - if the rest of it is in nice shape.  If it looks like it's been used as a commercial machine every day of it's life then it's probably only worth scrap value.  What motor does/did it have?  

The problem with trying to sell it is most folks don't have the know-how to replace an engine.

Thanks! I forget what motor is in it I'll check tomorrow. It's stuffed in the back corner of my shed and I don't feel like climbing over everything right now LOL. It was not used a ton as it was from a school so it was only used once a week. 

I'd be very happy with 200 bucks lol

That mower, with a working engine, is worth about $2,000.00.  A problem/non working fixable machine can probably sell for about $750.00.  More if it's a hydro.  Harbor freight has 22HP vertical shaft engines for $800.00.  Relegating a commercial mower to a parts machine takes more than a blown engine.

EDIT:  I just looked up Scag walk behinds and they only offer the 61" in a hydro.  So in it's current condition you can get close to $1,000.00 for it on CL or FB, If you slap a HF 22HP engine on it, you could sell for 3K.

13 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

That mower, with a working engine, is worth about $2,000.00.  A problem/non working fixable machine can probably sell for about $750.00.  More if it's a hydro.  Harbor freight has 22HP vertical shaft engines for $800.00.  Relegating a commercial mower to a parts machine takes more than a blown engine.

EDIT:  I just looked up Scag walk behinds and they only offer the 61" in a hydro.  So in it's current condition you can get close to $1,000.00 for it on CL or FB, If you slap a HF 22HP engine on it, you could sell for 3K.

You'd have to get really lucky to find a Harbor freight engine that's going to be the same spec as the OEM motor. If you're going to repower it, best bet would be to get a model and spec number off of the engine and buy one from Equipitron or Jack's Small Engines. A Kohler or Kawasaki 22HP engine with electric start is probably going to run around $1800. Could still be worth doing if the hydros are good, but I would check them first. See if everything in the hydro system seems to work properly without excessive noise and stick a magnet down to the bottom of the hydro tank and see if any metal shavings come out on the magnet.

Then again, if it's old enough it could be a belt drive 60". I remember when hydro walk behinds didn't exist.

• Like 1

I'm in an almost similar situation.  I had a belt-drive 48" Bobcat that I loved; the motor went, but I figured the rest of the machine had plenty of life left.  So I dropped $850 on a new motor.   Ten hours later, the gearbox failed.   :-(       A couple of the local walk-behind shops convinced me it wasn't worth fixing, even with the new motor.  

So I've also got a parts machine, with a low-time 17 HP Industrial/Commercial Briggs and Stratton.   That was an upgrade on the original motor on the 48", if you think it might be of use on your Scag, let me know.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Huh. Until reality kicks in.  Andd.  Three years later its still for sale.  

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I'm in an almost similar situation.  I had a belt-drive 48" Bobcat that I loved; the motor went, but I figured the rest of the machine had plenty of life left.  So I dropped $850 on a new motor.   Ten hours later, the gearbox failed.   :-(       A couple of the local walk-behind shops convinced me it wasn't worth fixing, even with the new motor.  

So I've also got a parts machine, with a low-time 17 HP Industrial/Commercial Briggs and Stratton.   That was an upgrade on the original motor on the 48", if you think it might be of use on your Scag, let me know.

We almost always have major problems fixed.  Blown engine, gear box, hydraulic motor.  If a front caster breaks off, we weld it back on.  These machines are very expensive.  The 61" hydro is worth at least 3K used.  They sell for like 5 or 6K new.  The only problem I see with this mower is that it's huge for a walk behind.  61 is what a majority of riders are and who wants a walk behind that big when you should be doing that with a rider.  A walk behind like that is used for special applications.  It will be harder to sell but it will sell.

The gear box going right after a repower is just bad luck.