George Yetka

Developing a load

I have always started loading with a range of powders. find what works best and stay there. Well now its time to make a round for the grendel. I decided i will use oal start back ten thousandths or so and make a range box off that. once it comes down to a certain length I will range the powder.

Point of the post is that in doing this I found with using Lapua scenars that I have to make each cartridge long and dial each one in Individually while measuring off the ogive. I thought this would be a more accurate way to do this but it seems to take up quite a bit of time.

about month  ago i made up new 230 gr with the coated bullets, I used 6 different powders and started with 2 sets of each 2 grains apart 10 rounds of each fired 5 through the chrono and five into a target for grouping.

And yes the coated bullets did pick up about 50 fps over jacketed bullet for the same load.

working on the 40 cal as we speak for coated bullets..

It is trial and error getting what you need just have to keep pressing on until you get good results.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:32 PM, George Yetka said:

I have always started loading with a range of powders. find what works best and stay there. Well now its time to make a round for the grendel. I decided i will use oal start back ten thousandths or so and make a range box off that. once it comes down to a certain length I will range the powder.

Point of the post is that in doing this I found with using Lapua scenars that I have to make each cartridge long and dial each one in Individually while measuring off the ogive. I thought this would be a more accurate way to do this but it seems to take up quite a bit of time.

Now back to some serious programming.   I assume you are 10 thousandths off the lands?  How did you measure that?   From what I've read and  experiance with is the 123 scenars work best at the lands.  You can back them up to .020" if you need.  I'd go at the lands and work it from there. 

I started hornady oal with dummy case and scenar. Put that in comparator. Took me 20 or so attempts to feel good about the results. I then subtracted .010,.015,.020,.025,.030. loaded 10 of each. My problem was that I couldnt set my die to give the same results ten pulls in a row. I would have to dial it in for the first then back die off and approach again for the second seating. I assumed the scenars would be relatively close in measurement. The first five i sat without going through this process were wildly different. like a .018 swing from longest to shortest.

• Like 1

I don't know how you will dampen that volaitily with a lee seater die.  I don't know how that one seats or how accurate it is.  

Is it Grendel or Grendel II?

6 minutes ago, George Yetka said:

G1

ok, I was just curious.  However, if you want more consitency from the die you may need to upgrade to a better set.  If true precision is what you are after get a micrometer based set.  

• Like 1

If you're gonna do it "right" you need to weight sort the bullets and run them all thru an ogive checker and sort them that way as well.  Then you can set your die for each lot of bullets.  It's a lot of effort and unless your shooting benchrest of some sort to me, not worth it.  

Set your die.  Sort by weight if you must.  Load and shoot.  I load and shoot.  For my purposes I stopped weight sorting and such as it's not necessary for me to have fun.  I have a 6.5x47L that puts 5 in a quarter sized hole at 100yds and that's good enough for me.

Also, not a knock on this site in any way, but you may want to peruse AccurateShooter.com.  The knowledge base on there is very broad and quite massive.  

Additionally, precision reloading is not an exercise in speed.  Those guys spend hours loading 20-50 rounds.  I started down that rabbit hole and had to stop and take a hard look at what I wanted to accomplish with my shooting.  1 hole, 10 shot groups are not that important to me.  Having fun and shooting well is.  

Good luck.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:25 AM, Bully said:

If you're gonna do it "right" you need to weight sort the bullets and run them all thru an ogive checker and sort them that way as well.  Then you can set your die for each lot of bullets.  It's a lot of effort and unless your shooting benchrest of some sort to me, not worth it.  

Set your die.  Sort by weight if you must.  Load and shoot.  I load and shoot.  For my purposes I stopped weight sorting and such as it's not necessary for me to have fun.  I have a 6.5x47L that puts 5 in a quarter sized hole at 100yds and that's good enough for me.

Also, not a knock on this site in any way, but you may want to peruse AccurateShooter.com.  The knowledge base on there is very broad and quite massive.  

Additionally, precision reloading is not an exercise in speed.  Those guys spend hours loading 20-50 rounds.  I started down that rabbit hole and had to stop and take a hard look at what I wanted to accomplish with my shooting.  1 hole, 10 shot groups are not that important to me.  Having fun and shooting well is.  

Good luck.

I still weigh brass and bullets but don’t measure the ogive, way overkill for my skill.  If the brass is Lapua I don’t bother for my 6.5, Grendel or 6mm.  If it’s the hornady for Grendel or 6mm I weigh them because of variation. I weigh the bullets because even with quality bullets I’ve seen some large weight variations.  However, going through all of this to use a Lee seating die wouldn’t make me comfortable.  

Agree if you are looking for the best advice on superior accuracy I’d hit accurate shooter or the hide.