Sign in to follow this  
everythingisnothing

Mossberg Shockwave etc now legal, does that impact other "firearms"?

I believe they always were legal, as long as the barrel is 16" total length and other overall length is 26" or greater then your good to go with any semi auto rifle. A few members here have AK's with underfolders pinned in the closed position if I remember correctly. 

If you mean can you have a AR with a barrel less than 16" as long as the overall length is 26" then the answer is NO. Unless you buy it with a pistol permit and build it to weigh under 50oz and no handguard AKA Ar15 handgun 

• Like 1

IMO, according to the NJSP's opinion regarding the pistol-grip firearms, I believe AR type firearms can also be classified the same way. But you gain very little. The barrel will need to be 12".

• Like 1

@PK90 I agree it doesn't get you much compared to say a 14.5" barrel, mostly just curious if it could be done.

Another thing I noticed is that it seems as though the AWB targets only semi-auto rifles, pistols, and shotguns.  I'm curious how that would legally play out (other than reversing the opinion and classifying it as a pistol).  Seems to me if the firearm is legal under NJ law then it also wouldn't fall under the AWB.

7 hours ago, everythingisnothing said:

@PK90 I agree it doesn't get you much compared to say a 14.5" barrel, mostly just curious if it could be done.

Another thing I noticed is that it seems as though the AWB targets only semi-auto rifles, pistols, and shotguns.  I'm curious how that would legally play out (other than reversing the opinion and classifying it as a pistol).  Seems to me if the firearm is legal under NJ law then it also wouldn't fall under the AWB.

All firearms under NJ law, that are legal for you to buy, are either long guns or handguns. The "other" category only exists under federal law. So, there is no category of firearms that isn't subject to NJ AWB law scrutiny.

The Shockwave is to be sold using a COE like a long gun in NJ.