Scorpio64

AR-10 and LR308 Mfg Patterns

You get both standards and then there is the one off from Bushmaster.

Ar10
DPMS/Knights Armament/Fulton Armory

Are the top two "Standards". Not sure who sells more.

About 15 years ago. Bushmaster tried to make a new standard to use up surplus FAL mags. If memory serves, it flopped due to a bad bolt design.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MartyZ said:

If you are actively searching, and if they still have any left in stock, you can get the aero precision M5E1 (northern lights) builder set for $450. It's  on sale for $499 plus 10% off for new buyers, coupon code SAVE10NOW

I think I'm going to get the PSA upper and lower set.  It's the same as DPMS pattern with one exception.  one of the take down pins is fatter or something.  Not a big deal. Everything else is DPMS  or AR-15. PSA PA-10 lower is only $80.00

9 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I think I'm going to get the PSA upper and lower set.  It's the same as DPMS pattern with one exception.  one of the take down pins is fatter or something.  Not a big deal. Everything else is DPMS  or AR-15. PSA PA-10 lower is only $80.00

The build kit comes with a 15" freefloat handguard, assembled upper, and the take down/pivot pins. And it's a DPMS pattern. So price wise you are not gaining much going with PSA. Mine should be ariving next week.

Get the aero, upper lower and handgaurd

You will find that all 3 of these parts do NOT align great when pieced together. DPMS High/Low tolerances and take down pins, maybe the bolt release too... Trust me, it's not worth the headache. 

I used a spikes set, but I'm helping a friend out together his M5E1, it's cheap imo for what your getting.

They also sell a parts kits for it, VERY convenient

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 8:05 PM, JackDaWack said:

You will find that all 3 of these parts do NOT align great when pieced together. DPMS High/Low tolerances and take down pins, maybe the bolt release too... Trust me, it's not worth the headache. 

I used a spikes set, but I'm helping a friend out together his M5E1, it's cheap imo for what your getting.

They also sell a parts kits for it, VERY convenient

I also picked up the Aero LPK from primaryarms on sale.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:05 PM, JackDaWack said:

I saw Primary Arms has the Aero receivers for a halfway decent price.  Is there any particular reason I would want to get the Aero handguard.  I prefer ALG EMR Mlok.

9 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I saw Primary Arms has the Aero receivers for a halfway decent price.  Is there any particular reason I would want to get the Aero handguard.  I prefer ALG EMR Mlok.

What I have found in my research prior to ordering all my parts is that even though everyone claims to be building their parts to DPMS "Standards", there really is no standard. A DPMS pattern upper might not fit well with a DPMS pattern lower of a different brand, and a DPMS pattern hand guard might not fit well with a DPMS pattern upper of a different brand. But then again they might all fit perfectly, but from all the posts i've seen online on different boards it is "safer" to get everything of the same brand. Even talking to Stag customer support they told me that even though their LR308 upper and lower are DPMS pattern, only their handguard will fit, which honestly makes no sense to me. If you want to take a change and go with different brands, which most of us would do when building an AR15 without a second thought, it appears to be more of a hit and miss when building an LR308. That is why I personally chose the Aero, the price and online reviews helped me decide.

Edit: if you look at other hi end brands such as spikes and F1, they specifically state that their lowers will only fit their uppers, and vise versa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Shuylerarmsco.com

$110 M5 lowers

$300 M5 Mlok builders set ( upper , lower and 15" handguard )

I have the spikes upper and lower forged set, I don't think they even make it anymore. Got it a few years ago and never built it. What a pain in the ass it was to find compatible parts. I had to modify my bolt catch to work, and my aero rail doesn't align perfect, my spikes is somewhere between low and high dpms pattern.. my JP Lowmass bolt doesn't even work with the forward assist.

The arrow precision handgaurd is nice, no reason to think the ALG is any better. They offer mlock and I believe solid mouting to the upper.

2 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

e arrow precision handgaurd is nice, no reason to think the ALG is any better. They offer mlock and I believe solid mouting to the upper.

I never cared for the look of a full length rail on a handguard.  Do you happen to know if the rail is removable on the aero

53 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I never cared for the look of a full length rail on a handguard.  Do you happen to know if the rail is removable on the aero

They have 3 models, quad rail, keymod, and mlok. The top rail is not removable on any of them. I understand your dilemma, i don't like the quad rail or keymod, but unfortunately there is not much choice available.

49 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

They have 3 models, quad rail, keymod, and mlok. The top rail is not removable on any of them. I understand your dilemma, i don't like the quad rail or keymod, but unfortunately there is not much choice available.

That may be a deal breaker for me. I believe it's possible to build an AR 10/AR 308 the same as an AR 15 but it will take a lot more research, and probably money. I'm about to say eff it an just plunk down the coin for a Springfield m21 type rifle. It was on my bucket list anyway.

Nope. It's an utter pain in the ass to piece together. You will find a lot of disclaimers on parts about compatibility issues. I spent a lot of time figuring out what parts to use. Which is why if someone wanted to build one I always say get the Aero, it takes all the hard work out of the issues.