noobwitha22

Recommendations for shops/ranges...

So I live in the Amboys area. I know of and actually stopped by Shore Shot last week just to have a peek inside. What other ranges/shops do you all recommend for me to check out? I don't think there is much close to me, I feel I will be taking hour drives to ranges.

Shops u got Monmouth Arms, Legend Firearms and Howell Gun Works. All in Monmouth county. Ranges if you want clubs there Old Bridge, Citizens Revolver & Rifle Club, Central Jersey. There’s also other clubs North and West of you. Sure other members will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Range 14 which is in Cookstown. Outdoor only rifle and handguns. Cheap to join but limited days of operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not realize there was all those shops and ranges near me. I take it some of these club ranges you need to be a member? This week I am going to finally go out and try some of the pistols I am considering to purchase, if I get my FPId. I was actually out near RTSP the other day and stopped in. Nice looking facility and the staff seemed friendly. A bit far but I do need places that rent firearms and hopefully they have at least one or two of the pistols I am looking to purchase. So far both ranges I was in had the Victory and one had a Mark III but not the Mark IV.

Now I go from getting too many notifications from these forums to not getting any, I hate my luck...

I have been a member of Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood since it opened three years ago.  I have also purchased most of my firearms there.  Highly recommend them. 

Address is 1955 Swarthmore Avenue, Lakewood, N.J.

They do have rentals. You need not be a member to shoot.

Note that at ranges, you may not be able to rent if you go alone and do not bring your own firearm. In that case, bring a friend along with you.  Check the range websites for their policies.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, noobwitha22 said:

Did not realize there was all those shops and ranges near me. I take it some of these club ranges you need to be a member? This week I am going to finally go out and try some of the pistols I am considering to purchase, if I get my FPId. I was actually out near RTSP the other day and stopped in. Nice looking facility and the staff seemed friendly. A bit far but I do need places that rent firearms and hopefully they have at least one or two of the pistols I am looking to purchase. So far both ranges I was in had the Victory and one had a Mark III but not the Mark IV.

Now I go from getting too many notifications from these forums to not getting any, I hate my luck...

I live in Edison and just went through the whole process of shopping for guns and trying out different ranges. Two of the closest shops to me are Heritage Guild in Rahway and Bullseye Tactical in Woodbridge. Bullseye is a small shop.  The guys who work there are pretty nice and can answer some questions for you, but their selection is very limited as far as holding/seeing different types of guns.  Heritage Guild in Rahway is a little bigger place with a pretty nice selection of guns to hold.  Some of the employees there are lacking personality/friendliness, but they will all spend time with you and answer questions.  Sean (short guy with red hair) is very nice and helpful.

As far as ranges, I've been to TTC in Flemington, Shore Shot and Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood. TTC has a pretty good selection to choose from if you're interested in renting a gun to try out.  I'm not a fan of the guys who work there - definitely a bit arrogant and don't rely make you feel welcome. It's a pretty nice place though.  Shore Shot is a small, bare bones range with a small shop. I recall them being very expensive when it came to rental ammo.  There are Groupon deals for that place that makes the experience more reasonable if renting.  Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood is my favorite and I became a member a few weeks ago. It's nice, neat, reasonable, and the staff is pretty friendly overall. Other than it being 40 minutes away, there were no real negatives for me.  There are gun clubs in Old Bridge and Carteret.  The one in Carteret (Lake Island) seems interesting and more reasonably-priced than the Old Bridge Club but I don't know that much about either.

If you want to go to a big store with a large selection of rental guns, I suggest you check out Heritage Guild in Easton, PA.  It took just about an hour to get there from Edison, but it was worth it.  Shopping for a gun is not as convenient as shopping for most other items. If you can find a place like HG in Easton that has a large amount of rentals and tons of other guns in the store to hold, it's definitely worth the trip. I went there one Saturday morning and tried out 6 guns over the course of 2 hours.  It wasn't cheap, but it was definitely fun and worth it.  And what I mean by "wasn't cheap" is that renting 6 guns and ammo and paying for 2 hours or range time is simply not cheap. HG in Easton was reasonably priced. All that renting is costly no matter where you go.

Good luck!  Between forums, other sites, and gun stores, there is a ton of information out there about whatever you want to know - and don't be afraid to ask people questions.  I've found that most people that are into guns like talking about them and sharing information. 

Oh and, you probably already know this, get a couple of extra permits when you apply.  They're only a couple of bucks each and can be extended one time.  Even if you only get one gun, it will save you time if you change your mind and want to get a 2nd after that first purchase. I thought I was getting one gun and ended up using the two other permits.  The range is more fun for me having a variety of guns to shoot with that I own (and don't have to pay for rentals and rental ammo).

RTSP is opening a shop and range in Union on Rte 22 West next summer. That's their hope. As for shops, Matt and I think the guy's name is Jan, both at Heritage in Rahway, have always been cool with me. I try to be nice and respectful to everyone. I don't get it back then I go elsewhere unless no one else has what I'm looking for.

The Heritage Guild in Easton, PA. is a fantastic place. Lots of firearms. Used and new. I bought my Mossberg tactical shotgun there. They took care of me and it was a pleasure. Took me 90 minutes to get there but in the end, you may have a much larger selection than the smaller shops scattered through out NJ.

17 minutes ago, MichaelDiggs said:

The Heritage Guild in Easton, PA. is a fantastic place. Lots of firearms. Used and new. I bought my Mossberg tactical shotgun there. They took care of me and it was a pleasure. Took me 90 minutes to get there but in the end, you may have a much larger selection than the smaller shops scattered through out NJ.

I completely disagree. Overpriced, arrogant and clueless. I will never go to the Easton location again. The branchburg location lost my buddies FID and DL on him. He had to get both replaced. Also overpriced as well

14 hours ago, BlueLineFish said:

I completely disagree. Overpriced, arrogant and clueless. I will never go to the Easton location again. The branchburg location lost my buddies FID and DL on him. He had to get both replaced. Also overpriced as well

I completely agree with this! 

For shops, Monmouth Arms isn't too far from your area on Route 9 in Marlboro. I've gotten a couple guns from them so far, and wouldn't hesitate to go back. They don't have the biggest selection around, but their prices on guns are usually very competitive to internet pricing without the transfer fee (but you do pay tax). One bit of advice - check their hours before going. They're mostly open evenings and Saturdays.

There's also Howell Gun Works, which is about 20 minutes south from Monmouth Arms (also on Route 9). They're a bit bigger of a shop and have a much larger in-stock inventory compared to Monmouth Arms. The people there tend to be very helpful and have never been pushy to me. The only downside I've found is their prices tend to be a few bucks more than Monmouth Arms, but I haven't seen anything that I'd say was a rip off...mostly fair pricing.

Regarding ranges, I didn't like the vibe I got at Shore Shot when I popped my head in the last time. Maybe it was the fact that I could hear the shooting outside in the parking lot? If I go indoor, I tend to go to Garden State Shooting Center instead. With that said, I prefer outdoor, so I typically head out to Range 14 at Ft Dix.

It's a bit out of date at this point, but the NJ Gun Store/Range Map isn't a bad place to start. Just make sure to check that the place is still in business before you go. ;)

Heritage Guild is terrible go to Sarco and get a real firearm made of wood and metal.

You have Sayreville Sportsmen close but I am not a fan.

Monmouth Arms hands down is the best.

Union Hill Gun Club will be open soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk