noobwitha22

ID's and handgun permits...

So I have read posts on other forums and a couple here and I got a little confused on the whole deal. So I searched the NJ sites and I am still unclear on the laws.  As I thought the law was, you apply for your FPID which allows you to purchase long guns and shotguns with no other permits. The handgun permit lets you purchase one handgun per permit up to three at a time? Then you have to wait 30 days before you can apply for another handgun permit up to three?

Please help me figure this out. What are the laws for handgun permits?

10 minutes ago, noobwitha22 said:

So I have read posts on other forums and a couple here and I got a little confused on the whole deal. So I searched the NJ sites and I am still unclear on the laws.  As I thought the law was, you apply for your FPID which allows you to purchase long guns and shotguns with no other permits.correct. you will go through a nics check at the ffl though. fill out form 4473. the ffl will provide this, and help you with it.  The handgun permit lets you purchase one handgun per permit up to three at a time? Then you have to wait 30 days before you can apply for another handgun permit up to three? incorrect. you can apply for as many pistol purchase permits as you like. BUT.....you can only purchase ONE pistol per month. each pistol will require one permit. you can only purchase one per permit. example....you've got 3 permits, then you can only purchase 3 pistols over the period of 3 months.  regardless of how many permits you' ve gotten, they expire in 90 days. you can go to your pd, and have those permits extended one time for another 90 days. it's up to them if they choose to do so or not. most will do it for ya.

in addition to what i've typed above in red.....here's the REALLY fun part. although they've dug into your lifes history before giving you your fPid, and your first p2p's......when you decide you wanna buy another pistol? they do it all again. ain't new jersey great?

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

in addition to what i've typed above in red.....here's the REALLY fun part. although they've dug into your lifes history before giving you your fPid, and your first p2p's......when you decide you wanna buy another pistol? they do it all again. ain't new jersey great?

Well, some will.  I applied for addl. P2Ps twice after the first set that came with my new FPID. Yes, I still had to fill out all the state required docs, and I did the on-line criminal background check instead of the fingerprinting.  But I don't think my PD sent out reference letters those additional times, especially when I picked the same references over again.

And that brings up a good point. To the OP, I assume you went to Ident-to-Go to get your fingerprinting done for your initial application.  When you do subsequent applications (i.e. for additional sets of P2Ps), you should not not need to do this (unless your local PD wants to be an "alfa-hotel" about it). You need only do the "Criminal Background Check" in place of fingerprinting.  You can now do this on-line via this website:  Form 212A On-Line... It costs (or costed when I did it) $18.00 instead of about $60.00 for fingerprinting. Your local PD (or NJSP barracks) has to give you a "municipal identifier" to enter when you fill out the on-line form.  Be sure to collect the receipt number and then feed it to your local PD (or barracks)  so they know it's tied to your application.  It makes things move faster.

On 10/22/2017 at 9:09 PM, noobwitha22 said:

So I have read posts on other forums and a couple here and I got a little confused on the whole deal. So I searched the NJ sites and I am still unclear on the laws.  As I thought the law was, you apply for your FPID which allows you to purchase long guns and shotguns with no other permits. The handgun permit lets you purchase one handgun per permit up to three at a time? Then you have to wait 30 days before you can apply for another handgun permit up to three?

NJ has "One Gun A Month" law. Without getting into details of when 30 days start / end (there are lot of threads for that), you can only use ONE handgun permit to take possession of a handgun per month.  And permits are valid for 90 days from the date stamped on them, unless extended by issuing authority. 

Put two and two, some PDs only issue 3 permits at a time "thinking" you cant use more than 3 permits in 90 days. 

Thats usual logic. Then there are extensions (for additional 90 days), EXEMPTION process that allows you to take possession of multiple handguns at a time, say for collection purposes etc.

Hope thats clear as mud. 

My PD has always been helpful and processed in record time, no fingerprinting - only the online background check and two people they can send request for information to. But yes it is a pain - which is an additional reason why I collected more rifle than handguns.....

16 minutes ago, BM59 said:

My PD has always been helpful and processed in record time, no fingerprinting - only the online background check and two people they can send request for information to. But yes it is a pain - which is an additional reason why I collected more rifle than handguns.....

i haven't applied for any p2p's in quite awhile. maybe my town got faster...but first time 9 months. second set of p2p's still took them nearly 8 months. and i know it wasn't my references either time, as i used the same ones both times....and both times they filled out/returned the letters the same day they got them.

i won't be buying any more pistols as a new jersey resident. till i've got another address, it's not happening. it's $#$^%^ maddening waiting for permission for months to buy something that i should be able to walk in pay for, and walk out.

My PD is very pro 2A and my handgun permits take 7 to 14 days! I fill out the form and pay 2 bucks per permit and that's it!  No mental or online anything. I don't get how one town can vary so much from another! I am only 20 minutes away from you 1LtCAP!

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

My PD is very pro 2A and my handgun permits take 7 to 14 days! I fill out the form and pay 2 bucks per permit and that's it!  No mental or online anything. I don't get how one town can vary so much from another! I am only 20 minutes away from you 1LtCAP!

If you don’t get that you should see the variance of one Trooper barracks from the other.