Zeke

When you order Chinese food

On 10/25/2017 at 10:27 AM, mossburger said:

Oh man, It's been 5+ years since I've had it, but I used to work in North Jersey and a buddy of mine would often go to this place and bring back a dish that the restaurant called Three Treasures. There was duck, pork, and I think beef if I remember correctly? The duck was beyond incredible. 

Don;t forget to add the Fried Egg!!!! 

On 10/24/2017 at 0:45 AM, fatty said:

screw take-out...

Now I want to take a trip to china town and hit up Wo-Hop

Yes!! Egg rolls, chicken wings, wonton soup, beef mei fun and my fav there - roast pork and black bean sauce. So much mediocre Chinese food around here. Need a city trip. 

On 10/23/2017 at 7:18 PM, Zeke said:

Wut bout the crab ragoons?

Yes, very good.  Crab and cheese deep fried in a wonton shell.  Not all are created equal.  I prefer the savory kind.  In NJ I've found the majority are sweet and savory, as opposed to just savory.  

Chicken w/brocoli is my yard stick when trying a new place.  Lower risk of food poisoning and it allows me to determine if I want to get a little riskier with the next order, maybe beef with broccoli, or try some of the seafood.  For the best quality look for take out and delivery shops that have been there for 15+ years and run by the same family.   Lots of places are laser focused on selling the cheapest crap possible.  I try to avoid that when I can.  I have thrown the food I just ordered directly in the garbage.  

I like to order:

dumplings
fried wontons
scallion pancakes
shrimp toast
spare ribs
dim sum
egg drop w/wonton
sweet and sour soup
general tso chicken|shrimp
sesame chicken 
orange beef
shrimp in lobster sauce 
young chow fried rice
moo shoo pork|vegetable
egg foo young
lo mein 
Chow fun 
chicken/beef with brocoli 
chicken with black bean sauce
chicken chow mein (crumble noodles on top) 

Above applies to typical NY/NJ area Chinese take out and delivery places.  The names stay the same but the dishes change regionally as you get further from the area.  

I prefer the shops in Chinatown, but it's hard to get that around here.  Grand Sichuan in Jersey City was a staple for a while, but I wrote them off after multiple wrong orders and rude phone service.    Still have yet to find a local place in Bayonne that is as good as what I'm used to.  

I ate lunch once in Bridgewater and it was really good, I should go back.  Worth the drive.  http://www.fortunecookiesnj.com

• Like 1

There is a hole in the wall in East Windsor that is fantastic.  No eat-in, no delivery...you come in and circle what you want on the menu, as the owner speaks 2 works of English.  Best Lo Mein I have ever had (in Americanized Chinese food so to speak).

I love buffets but many of them are pretty dodgy.  But on in Hamilton (next to Open Road Honda), is my go-to. I start off with the sushi.  Its pretty damn good for a buffet.  Then I move into the popcorn chicken, the general, and a few others, finished with real ice cream.  For $10, it's a steal for the sushi alone.   And at dinner service, they put out the snow crab legs, which provides free comedic value watching the other dinners fall all over themselves loading up the entire tray.  Snow crab is the worst bang for your buck in terms of the effort it takes to get tiny bits of meat.

If they had Alaskan King, I'm be in the fray!.

On 10/29/2017 at 0:33 AM, AlDente67 said:

And at dinner service, they put out the snow crab legs, which provides free comedic value watching the other dinners fall all over themselves loading up the entire tray.  Snow crab is the worst bang for your buck in terms of the effort it takes to get tiny bits of meat.

If they had Alaskan King, I'm be in the fray!.

Yeah sometimes people just get crazy and buffet etiquette goes out the door. 

"You here four hour!!!!" lol....

On 10/23/2017 at 6:43 PM, Zeke said:

What do you get? There’s stuff I don’t even know/ afraid to try.

I like to try a little of everything.  See what I like.  Pork belly is good.  Garlic chicken / beef.  Orange chicken / beef. Cho Fun / Mei Fun.  Shrimp toast appetizer.  Egg Foo Young.  List goes on and on. 

There is a dive place near my office.  Very inexpensive.  You get choice of two meats, 1 veggies over steamed or fried rice.  Nobody speaks english.  Always a line.  You go after 1pm and it's slim pickings.  They only make so much and when it's gone, no more.

If trying a new place I always order sesame chicken.  If they can't get that right I never go back.

Man, I'm getting hungry!

• Like 1

Our thanksgiving dinner will be held on Friday this year, so we will be ordering Chinese on Thursday.

We are hankering for lo mein, chow fun, mu-shu, and egg rolls from the local take out place. Their food is outstanding, not greasy, or full of msg like a lot of take out joints. 

• Like 1

Man, I haven't had Chinese in at least a couple of years.  Been trying to lose weight and avoid the sodium/MSG. 

But when I did:

1)  Shrimp & Lobster Sauce;

2) Moo Goo Gai Pan

3) Shrimp Egg Foo Yung

4) Beef/Roast Pork Lo Mein

5) Egg Rolls

6) Beef (or Shrimp) & Broccoli

etc. etc. Yeah, probably standard Americanized take out, but it was good where I had it.

I used to love to go to Jing Fong in NYC for Dim Sum.   So much so, that actually going for Dim Sum In Hong Kong was a bit of a let down. "Real" Dim Sum seems to de-emphasize (if not eliminate) fried things like "pigs in a blanket" or "bacon wrapped scallops" or "crab claws" etc. etc.

"You go from full to starving in an hour".  Thank You MSG!

We don’t have MSG ( Madison Square Garden?[emoji6]), around here. They don’t use it.
But I know what you are saying. Sugar has that affect on you more so. Most of what we get is rice, meat, fish, veggy, etc. But its the only food I can gain 5lbs in one day. I can eat half a pizza and not get that. Its got to be loaded up with sugar and salts.
Stay away from:
Sum Dum Fuk
Wang Hung Lo
Bang Lings Mom...
They are the worse.
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, bhunted said:

We don’t have MSG ( Madison Square Garden?emoji6.png), around here. They don’t use it.
But I know what you are saying. Sugar has that affect on you more so. Most of what we get is rice, meat, fish, veggy, etc. But its the only food I can gain 5lbs in one day. I can eat half a pizza and not get that. Its got to be loaded up with sugar and salts.
Stay away from:
Sum Dum Fuk
Wang Hung Lo
Bang Lings Mom...
They are the worse.
emoji23.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now now.....  You saw that news report where the anchors got "Bababooeied" with those names when that aircraft crashed in San Franscisco....   (We Tu Lo, etc.). :D