Zeke

When you order Chinese food

Mu shu pork. I don’t use the pancakes or the plum sauce it comes with. I try to stay away from the fried bits, egg rolls, spring rolls, and the crab rangoons. 

I have a serious love for good dumplings though.

No one into Dim Sum? I only saw one guy mention it. That’s one great way to test the waters and try real Chinese Foods. Dumplings are always a must! Fried or steamed. You get to try smaller bite size samplers. Just point and gesture 1 or 2 plates and they bring it. It’s basically Chinese hors d’oeuvres with 3-4 pieces of something yummy on A plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, My1stGlock said:

No one into Dim Sum? I only saw one guy mention it. That’s one great way to test the waters and try real Chinese Foods. Dumplings are always a must! Fried or steamed. You get to try smaller bite size samplers. Just point and gesture 1 or 2 plates and they bring it. It’s basically Chinese hors d’oeuvres with 3-4 pieces of something yummy on A plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - Dim sum is good.  You can get a lot of good authentic stuff.  Look for the steamed pork ribs, sticky fried rice bowl, tripe, chicken feet, Noodle Rolls (Shrimp/Beef/Chinese Donut), fried squid, etc.

• Like 2

If I'm going out for Chinese, dim sum is the #1 choice.... love the variety! If I'm ordering out, it's usually Mei Fun and ribs. Oh, and I always, always order scallion pancake if the restaurant makes it (sadly, most don't - definitely not most takeout places anyway). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

If I'm going out for Chinese, dim sum is the #1 choice.... love the variety! If I'm ordering out, it's usually Mei Fun and ribs. Oh, and I always, always order scallion pancake if the restaurant makes it (sadly, most don't - definitely not most takeout places anyway). 

I think scallion pancake is more of a Korean thing. Nowadays most Asian fusion places try to do it but they can't measure up the the Korean restaurants. Try the Seafood, scallion pancakes that's the bomb!

12 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Yes - Dim sum is good.  You can get a lot of good authentic stuff.  Look for the steamed pork ribs, sticky fried rice bowl, tripe, chicken feet, Noodle Rolls (Shrimp/Beef/Chinese Donut), fried squid, etc.

Tripe, and chicken feet! yummy.... try it before ya knock it!

1 minute ago, My1stGlock said:

I think scallion pancake is more of a Korean thing. Nowadays most Asian fusion places try to do it but they can't measure up the the Korean restaurants. Try the Seafood, scallion pancakes that's the bomb!

Damn, that sounds good!!! Now I have to find a place that makes seafood scallion pancakes... :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Damn, that sounds good!!! Now I have to find a place that makes seafood scallion pancakes... :facepalm:

Here's a list of Korean joints close to Hunterdon County.....

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=korean&find_loc=Hunterdon+County%2C+NJ

Seoulville has it with Kimchee too! That's a twist.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/seoulville-somerville?select=RCvEIe_urNqOieM99yhyoA

21 hours ago, fatty said:

fresh pan fried noodles... dim sum... beef & tomatos... salt & pepper pork.  wash it all down with some tsing tao

damn I miss chinatown

saint marks is amazing too for japanese izakaya and gigantic bottles of hot or cold sake

I heard Fort Lee's got some great Chinese restaurants now too. 

• Like 1

yeah there are a few good chinese restaurants too, but none of them compare to chinatown in the city...  Wo Hop and another called Hop Kee (Ki?) are on another level...  they have separate menus for chinese people lol

omg I'm so hungry now. 

1 minute ago, fatty said:

If you're ever up in the bergen county area, Palisades Park and Fort Lee have some of the best korean spots in NJ.  Lots of great korean bbq, noodle spots, etc...

Vietnamese food is a favorite of mine too.

Yes well aware of that. Have you ever tried the Korean Steak house call Prime and beyond? It's served like Peter Luger style with Korean sides. Gotta get the bacon! Scallion salad is awesome too. Started out as a butcher shop and they decided to open the restaurant in the same place. Small place but beats hiking to Brooklyn!

25 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

Yes well aware of that. Have you ever tried the Korean Steak house call Prime and beyond? It's served like Peter Luger style with Korean sides. Gotta get the bacon! Scallion salad is awesome too. Started out as a butcher shop and they decided to open the restaurant in the same place. Small place but beats hiking to Brooklyn!

Yeah my wife and I have been there a few times, but to be honest we felt it was way over-rated for the price...  The last 2 times we were there (hoping it would be a better experience), left us with a LOT to be desired.  The beef definitely was not prime.  The owner and her son are great people, but I can't stomach their prices anymore.  It's been a while though, maybe they got better?  For local steak we go to Cliff's Steakhouse in englewood cliffs off sylvan avenue.  It's more of the ruth's chris style on a hot plate which I normally don't like, but it's never let us down.

If you're ever in Toronto... you must make a stop at The Keg by the Pierson international airport.  They served the best prime rib I have ever had... 

holy shit I need to stop thinking about food

2 minutes ago, fatty said:

Yeah my wife and I have been there a few times, but to be honest we felt it was way over-rated for the price...  The last 2 times we were there (hoping it would be a better experience), left us with a LOT to be desired.  The beef definitely was not prime.  The owner and her son are great people, but I can't stomach their prices anymore.  It's been a while though, maybe they got better?  For local steak we go to Cliff's Steakhouse in englewood cliffs off sylvan avenue.  It's more of the ruth's chris style on a hot plate which I normally don't like, but it's never let us down.

If you're ever in Toronto... you must make a stop at The Keg by the Pierson international airport.  They served the best prime rib I have ever had... 

holy shit I need to stop thinking about food

Yeah Prime's definitely on the pricier side. I guess fort that money Del Fresco's in the city is a better deal. Especially during restaurant week! Will keep Cliff's Steakhouse in mind next time I'm out that way. Toronto will be a stretch. Must resist munching !! It's late.........

I've been wanting to give Smith & Wollensky a taste in the city...  after watching a youtube clip on that place I've been drooling over their prime rib...  Never had Del Frescos but heard nothing but great things

1 hour ago, My1stGlock said:

Seoulville has it with Kimchee too! That's a twist.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/seoulville-somerville?select=RCvEIe_urNqOieM99yhyoA

Been to Seoulville - the food's pretty good.  They have seafood scallion pancakes - excellent.

55 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

Yeah WoHop, Hop Kee, 69 on Bayard was another main stay and the other one on Bowery next to the Rickshaw Garage called Shing Kee. Also my favorite Wonton noodle shop back in the 80s was Big Wong on Mott. 

That's my digs.  Big Wong is still there and is still good.  Same decor from the 70's too lol.  My grandparents live right in Chinatown at Confucius Plaza

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 0:45 AM, fatty said:

screw take-out...

Now I want to take a trip to china town and hit up Wo-Hop

Oh man, It's been 5+ years since I've had it, but I used to work in North Jersey and a buddy of mine would often go to this place and bring back a dish that the restaurant called Three Treasures. There was duck, pork, and I think beef if I remember correctly? The duck was beyond incredible.