GramGun79

Horizon Blue Cross increase!

Ouch!!! I just reviewed the rates. If I kept the same BCBS plan, my rate will be going up $150 per month!!!  So, somewhere I need to cough up an extra 1800 bucks in 2018 (and that's only if I'm perfectly healthy --- god forbid I get sick and need to start paying out more to reach the minimum deductible).

How does anyone think this is a sustainable system? Ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Ouch!!! I just reviewed the rates. If I kept the same BCBS plan, my rate will be going up $150 per month!!!  So, somewhere I need to cough up an extra 1800 bucks in 2018 (and that's only if I'm perfectly healthy --- god forbid I get sick and need to start paying out more to reach the minimum deductible).

Thanks, Obama

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

“They” don’t even think about it. No meter your definition of They  

if it’s congress they don’t care because they don’t have to use it so they have no vested interest in fixing it  

if it’s the insurance companies they don’t want it fixed because they’re making fistfuls of cash  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zeke said:

My question, not directed at you.

who is the affordable care act affordable to? 

Thats a great question. It only benefits those below the poverty line. For example my family of 4 with a income of over 90k or more a year we do not qualify for a subsidy. The federal government (dems) seem to think that 90k a year before taxes is ton a money to raise a family in this severely over priced, over taxed state. which means i must pay a highly inflated price to cover those who can't afford healthcare and basically get it for free or near free with huge subsidies. Ive got to give up nearly a quarter of my salary for healthcare? Ive been to the doctors 3 times in the past 20 years. I think they owe me a credit...lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GramGun79 said:

Thats a great question. It only benefits those below the poverty line. For example my family of 4 with a income of over 90k or more a year we do not qualify for a subsidy. The federal government (dems) seem to think that 90k a year before taxes is ton a money to raise a family in this severely over priced, over taxed state. which means i must pay a highly inflated price to cover those who can't afford healthcare and basically get it for free or near free with huge subsidies. Ive got to give up nearly a quarter of my salary for healthcare? Ive been to the doctors 3 times in the past 20 years. I think they owe me a credit...lol 

It’s totally horse shit!

Just now, GramGun79 said:

Yeah, this is the issue. When I wrote before how do "they" think this is sustainable... I was really referring to all these Dems on TV trotting out these wailing people saying, "I would have been dead if not for this wonderful insurance!" - and I'm thinking, "whaaat? How can they possibly afford this?" I guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake --- all those people claiming it "saved their life" are getting it for peanuts. It's people like you and I that are getting HOSED. Honestly, with this insurance... I can't afford to get sick! Between the payments, the deductible, the co-pays... I'd be wiped out anyway. It makes NO sense to me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fred2 said:

Given the cost and the deductibles, all insurance policies are Catastrophic Loss plans.

The problem is that they do not have the premium that is appropriate.

yea...catastrophic loss of cash for those buying this crap/

6 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Oh balls, I see what you did there.

was wondering if anyone would catch it. :)

I’m very done with the whole healthcare BS...

When I first got my own, I got a Gold plan for about $300. Didn’t apply for any assistance as I was young and felt that it should go to people that really need it. Stayed with Horizon since that is the big name that is taken mostly everywhere, and what my family used over the years.

The next year, Gold plan jumped up to $380. But for an extra $5, I could get a Platinum plan. Did that, and did notice some good things over the Gold.

The coverage for this current year came up... they got rid of the Platinum plan. Had to go back to Gold, but rates went up to $515.

Got the letter the other day... Gold plan next year will now be $605 per month. This is just for me... no family. I opt for better plans because of being a Type I diabetic. Should just get the cheap plans and put the money into a short term investment.

I called up Horizon today, being I wanted to confirm the quote was correct. The girl I got told me that rates increased 20% to 28%, and proceeded to read me the changes in the letter. I abruptly stopped her, and mentioned that I did graduate with a Bachelor’s degree... so I can read it. Was very blunt. I can understand costs going up, but not only am I paying $90 more per month, my out of pocket/deductibles were increased SUBSTANTIALLY! It is the Omnia BS... where Tier 1 used to be $0 deductible. Now, $1,000. Maximum out of pocket went from $7,000 to $9,000. The Tier 2 stuff went up, including copays across the board. Why do I pay more per month, and have even less coverage? She couldn’t give me an answer to that...

As it sits, I am going into more debt than I did with school (had a trust setup after my grandfather died, so no student loans). $515 statements would work, if I didn’t have to pay almost $600 every 90 days for prescriptions. Checked online, nowhere near the deductibles or out of pocket limits...

Being my insulin pump is out of warranty in January (tried to get an in-warranty upgrade, since the company representative lied to me about it being waterproof), and I want to get the more advanced one for FLETC, I’m kind of cornered into paying the increase for the Gold plan. But I sure as hell will be canceling this once insurance goes live for CBP.

The one thing that got me on the end of the call was the girl saying she hopes the Affordable Care Act will help me next year to pick a good plan. My costs have gone up at $100 per month intervals for the past three years. I’m sorry, but you aren’t going to say that without me calling BS on it.

And also, Horizon’s phone system is garbage. Call sales, gets transferred to their main member number, then have to be transferred back to sales. Can never get an operator unless you pick an option that usually doesn’t have anything to do with your question. And it doesn’t recognize numbers until you push it four times. And I do have to say I feel bad for non-English speakers, because they make you say member, and put in your account number before you can press 8 for Spanish.

when i stopped buying health insurance, there was no yearly deductible. i payed a specific co-pay for whatever type of visit it was. when i broke my wrist, i think it was 50 bucks for the xray, same for the visit with the surgeon that was checking it and me, and doing the repair......think the co-pay was around 150'ish for the surgery, etc. 50 bucks per visit for the varicose procedures on my legs..........

this yearly deductible thing is just another way we all got snookered. well...those that still have insurance......when it becomes easily viable and affordable(meaning i can afford it without giving up ANYthing) then i'll buy a catastrophic plan.... but for everything else? eff it. i'll pay for it. it really is cheaper.

10 hours ago, remixer said:

Btw those who are truly poor should be helped 

Thosr who have no ability to pay but have the latest iPhone, drive a new car are not poor, just bad at setting priorities 

Is it still bad choice in priorities if they buy guns and rifles:D 

Especially from you???:mutley: 

Just yanking yer chain Steve

The Affordable Care Act is doing exactly what it was designed to do - make it impossible for most people to afford health care so that we beg the government to take over healthcare to "fix" it.

The problem, as congress sees it, is that the healthcare industry isn't being run by the government.  Imagine how much more political power, bribes, favors, illegal income, and swagger there will be for politicians who control and launder all of the money in the healthcare industry.

But, there was no justification to rip control of healthcare from the private sector since everything was working fine.   So, they had to break it first.  The Affordable Care Act was designed to do that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Screwball said:

I’m very done with the whole healthcare BS...

When I first got my own, I got a Gold plan for about $300. Didn’t apply for any assistance as I was young and felt that it should go to people that really need it. Stayed with Horizon since that is the big name that is taken mostly everywhere, and what my family used over the years.

The next year, Gold plan jumped up to $380. But for an extra $5, I could get a Platinum plan. Did that, and did notice some good things over the Gold.

The coverage for this current year came up... they got rid of the Platinum plan. Had to go back to Gold, but rates went up to $515.

Got the letter the other day... Gold plan next year will now be $605 per month. This is just for me... no family. I opt for better plans because of being a Type I diabetic. Should just get the cheap plans and put the money into a short term investment.

I called up Horizon today, being I wanted to confirm the quote was correct. The girl I got told me that rates increased 20% to 28%, and proceeded to read me the changes in the letter. I abruptly stopped her, and mentioned that I did graduate with a Bachelor’s degree... so I can read it. Was very blunt. I can understand costs going up, but not only am I paying $90 more per month, my out of pocket/deductibles were increased SUBSTANTIALLY! It is the Omnia BS... where Tier 1 used to be $0 deductible. Now, $1,000. Maximum out of pocket went from $7,000 to $9,000. The Tier 2 stuff went up, including copays across the board. Why do I pay more per month, and have even less coverage? She couldn’t give me an answer to that...

As it sits, I am going into more debt than I did with school (had a trust setup after my grandfather died, so no student loans). $515 statements would work, if I didn’t have to pay almost $600 every 90 days for prescriptions. Checked online, nowhere near the deductibles or out of pocket limits...

Being my insulin pump is out of warranty in January (tried to get an in-warranty upgrade, since the company representative lied to me about it being waterproof), and I want to get the more advanced one for FLETC, I’m kind of cornered into paying the increase for the Gold plan. But I sure as hell will be canceling this once insurance goes live for CBP.

The one thing that got me on the end of the call was the girl saying she hopes the Affordable Care Act will help me next year to pick a good plan. My costs have gone up at $100 per month intervals for the past three years. I’m sorry, but you aren’t going to say that without me calling BS on it.

And also, Horizon’s phone system is garbage. Call sales, gets transferred to their main member number, then have to be transferred back to sales. Can never get an operator unless you pick an option that usually doesn’t have anything to do with your question. And it doesn’t recognize numbers until you push it four times. And I do have to say I feel bad for non-English speakers, because they make you say member, and put in your account number before you can press 8 for Spanish.

My fiance is type 1. What pump do you have? She still has insurance thru her fathers company which is fantastic, thank god.. still a few hundred bucks every few months for pump supplies and insulin and what not but if she was on my insurance itd probably be thousands..

My fiance is type 1. What pump do you have? She still has insurance thru her fathers company which is fantastic, thank god.. still a few hundred bucks every few months for pump supplies and insulin and what not but if she was on my insurance itd probably be thousands..

Medtronic 530G... if I have to wait until January, I better be allowed to go with the 670G. If not, I’ll go Omnipod. A coworker’s daughter switched from what I have to it, and prefers it... but I do like functionality of Medtronic.

Hate the company, though. They waited months to let me know of an issue with their sets, which caused sporadic insulin introduction when you changed them out (they down played it a lot, but had a few instances where I couldn’t attribute a low to anything... and looking back, all were after a change). When the recall was made, I had one set left (box of 10). They gave me a box, but really annoyed with that. I used at least a 90 day supply of that stuff, because they waited so long (was probably done because most people use older stuff first).

Then, they constantly call any fault with their sensors as user error, even though their sensors are garbage. Can only be used in the abdomen... in a spot that doesn’t bend. I’m 5’11” and 185 pounds... doing a sit-up, it all bends. They say a doctor can suggest locations other than that for use. Put in my arms, small of back, etc (doctor recommended any place I could give a shot). When I have issues, “you are putting it in a spot we don’t recommend!” It’s like who’s on first...

The last one actually happened the same day I got this Horizon letter. They sent me a bill for $12.95 for a pump clip. One was ordered with a supply order (guess it came on auto ship, and didn’t notice), and another I ordered since I broke it. Got two, respectively... and was charged twice for each. Call up and say that there was an error. You would have thought I was speaking Greek to them. I literally had to say, “bought two clips, charged for two clips, received two clips, bill says still owed for a clip... fix issue). They said it was processed incorrectly. Might seem like I’m making a big thing over something small, but this was all done on their web store. If you can’t keep internet orders, which have cards linked to them, in order... do I really want my life in your hands? Even more, when I explain the issue, you argue with me first that I ordered too many clips, then that I never received one. I know there are people at Medtronic that care, but between those I’ve talked to and the representative that lied and said the pump was waterproof... I’m close to sending the pump back to them with a pile of s*** in the box.

To move away from my rant, that is partially why I have the Gold plan. Durable medical supplies (pump supplies) are covered 100%. I didn’t see any mention of it changing in the letter, so hopefully it is good. Pump supplies, including sensors, are roughly $3,000 per 90 days. While I’m far from a conspiracy guy... it kind of gives people a reason not to find a cure, because you are killing a huge medical market with a cure. I hope that isn’t the case, but with the crap I’m seeing Horizon doing (charging more for less coverage), it isn’t that far away.