myhatinthering

decided on a wheel gun

Buy once cry once, of course, if you can.

Think about this.  What's the savings from the 686 (best option, in my opinion) versus the taurus? 

$300?

Now, I don't know how often you shoot but lets say you shoot on average one box a month for 5 years.  Figuring $17.50/box, that's $1,050 in ammo

Would you rather shoot your grand of ammo out of what you really wanted, or would you rather save the $300, still spend the $1,050, and every time you pull the trigger it's still a "second choice"?

My vote is 686

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siderman said:

No interest in the Ruger GP100? 

D ont know much about it

1 hour ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

Think about this.  What's the savings from the 686 (best option, in my opinion) versus the taurus? 

$300?

Now, I don't know how often you shoot but lets say you shoot on average one box a month for 5 years.  Figuring $17.50/box, that's $1,050 in ammo

Would you rather shoot your grand of ammo out of what you really wanted, or would you rather save the $300, still spend the $1,050, and every time you pull the trigger it's still a "second choice"?

My vote is 686

I hear you and strongly leaning colt or 686 as quality is important    just seems a wide disparity in price for the 3

GP100 is Ruger's equivalent of the S&W 686.  It's a solid gun but a lot of people swear by S&W over Ruger... and vice versa.

I'd add it to the "to consider" list - make sure you shoot 'em.

Taurus definitely has some QC issues - it's not as bad with revolvers, but if it's going to be a gun you're going to trust your life to - do you REALLY want to?

Colt hasn't made revolvers in many years - that's why the pythons are hard to find and more expensive.  They've also got a high regard/demand because of video games/movies/etc.

• Like 1

I used to have a Colt King Cobra and currently own a 686. Both are good guns but the king cobra will be hard to come by/ expensive. The last i checked, over $1k for a nice used one. The 686 is just as good in my opinion, easier to mod if you choose, There are plenty of holster choices if you  want to compete (4" gun) and lots of smiths including S&W to work on them. They have good triggers out of the box and plenty of them around on both the used and new markets. It would be my choice of the three you suggested.

That being said, my favorite/ most accurate .357 is the Dan Wesson.

1 hour ago, SW9racer said:

Is it for precisional target shooting?  If so, Ruger BlackHawk!

That's a nice gun, but precision target implies bullseye (more the domain of semiautos, but revolvers show up too) or police revolver competitions, and a single action is almost unworkable for either of those.  586/686 is what you'll usually see there.  

586/686 is a nice gun at a good price. I went with a 627 because I liked the weight and overall feel and 8 rounds vs 6 or 7 but I am still thinking about the 686 and might end up with one at some point. Mild work like a little polishing and a spring change will get you a sweet trigger.

GP100 is really nice as well but generally not as well finished as the S&W though my Match Champion is really good and narrows the gap a bit. Trigger on the GP100 has a little plateau in the pull right before the break that takes some getting used to for a slow trigger pull. Shooting it for speed you don’t notice it as much. 

A friend had a Taurus, not sure what model it was, and it definately needed a trigger job and some TLC out of the box just to make it functional. He eventually chose to just trade it in on something else rather then spend time and cash to get it to where he wanted it. Heavy, gritty double action trigger and slightly less heavy but still gritty single action trigger.

No Colt experience but used prices are off the charts on them so no interest in collectors pieces that I would be afraid to shoot. JMHO

Good luck with the search, let us know what you choose.

-Jim

A new 4" 686 can be had brand new for around $630.

https://www.iammo.com/smith-wesson-686-357-remington-magnum-6-round-4-revolver-in-satin-stainless-distinguished-combat-164222.html

If you want a 6" and don't mind spending a bit more, this is what i would get:

https://gunprime.com/product/sw-686-170319-6-38-357/

My 0.02 would be to keep your eyes open on the used market.

There are many, many fine examples of the revolver craft out there from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, when the big 3 (S&W, Colt, and Ruger) were churning them out by the tens of thousands for the police market. 

25 minutes ago, W2MC said:

My 0.02 would be to keep your eyes open on the used market.

There are many, many fine examples of the revolver craft out there from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, when the big 3 (S&W, Colt, and Ruger) were churning them out by the tens of thousands for the police market. 

I can look on s&w board etc.  gunbroker is awful

If you buy from the Internet, don't forget to factor in shipping and transfer. The one dealer linked to in this thread, indicated 2nd day air shipping - that adds at least $50 and the transfer and NICS at least $40. I would wager that local dealers can do as well. Put in a price request on this forum. And, I'd still opt for the 4".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

The 4" is a better all around barrel length IMO.

I have Colt, S&W, Ruger, and Taurus revolvers.  I carry any of them as a SD gun.  Colts are more collector guns.  Hard to find some parts and hard to find people that know how to work on them.

I've never had any issues with any of the Taurus guns I own, revolver or auto.  The 669 I bought in 1988 has proven itself a much more durable gun than the "pinned and recessed" S&W Model 19 I bought in the 70s.

If you're buying it for a "game gun" go ahead and get action jobs and swap springs.  If you intend on using it for SD leave it stock.  Triggers smooth out with use.  Smooth is much more important than light.  Build up your muscles to deal with the trigger.  Dry fire it a few thousand times.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:52 AM, Pew Pew Plates said:

$300?

My vote is 686

Take one year's supply of ammo, and it to the budget, and go with the S&W Performance Center 627 V-Comp. It has a 5" barrel, which is a perfect solution to the 6" vs. 4" barrel. It's cost prohibitive for me, but if I can convince someone to buy one perhaps I can take it for a spin. 

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-627-v-comp