Howard

iPhone X sold out - that was fast

Pre-orders for iPhone X started at 3am EDT and for delivery next Friday, but they are all gone with delivery now estimated at 5 to 6 weeks.  Saw some now selling on eBay for over $2,500.  I wonder if I should sell the one I locked in for next Friday and turn a better than 200% profit????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It blows my mind the allure of these phones.

i get a new one when the planed  obsolescence kicks in. Thanks software update.... dick

Well I somewhat agree.  I have a 6+, which I bought when they first came out as they were large enough that you could actually use it to browse the web.  When the 6s+, 7+ and 7s+ came out I saw no reason to upgrade as they really offered only small incremental improvements.  The X is a major improvement, in my mind, and I am not talking about the face recognition thing.  The camera capabilities it has are truly amazing, which as a photographer I value.  The other key improvement is the screen quality and size.  I will be getting a phone with a bigger screen that is 1/4" narrower and 1/2" shorter - that is big (well actually small)!

They are out to six weeks plus now, so the question is do I want to sell it and be able to effectively make about $1,500 and get mine for free sometime way out in the future - or do I want one NOW.  Tough choice.

• Like 2

Just now, Howard said:

Well I somewhat agree.  I have a 6+, which I bought when they first came out as they were large enough that you could actually use it to browse the web.  When the 6s+, 7+ and 7s+ came out I saw no reason to upgrade as they really offered only small incremental improvements.  The X is a major improvement, in my mind, and I am not talking about the face recognition thing.  The camera capabilities it has are truly amazing, which as a photographer I value.  The other key improvement is the screen quality and size.  I will be getting a phone with a bigger screen that is 1/4" narrower and 1/2" shorter - that is big (well actually small)!

They are out to six weeks plus now, so the question is do I want to sell it and be able to effectively make about $1,500 and get mine for free sometime way out in the future - or do I want one NOW.  Tough choice.

You are jus like @Mrs.Zeke

all this camera equipment and your go to is phone... lol

to each his own. I went from a 4 to a 7 because I had to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

You are jus like @Mrs.Zeke

all this camera equipment and your go to is phone... lol

to each his own. I went from a 4 to a 7 because I had to.

Actually the camera in the X can do things you can't do with a dslr.  The quality that you can now have in your pocket with you at all times is simply amazing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Howard said:

Actually the camera in the X can do things you can't do with a dslr.  The quality that you can now have in your pocket with you at all times is simply amazing.

What can it do that you can't with a DSLR?  Other than some post processing (portrait light BS) being available in phone that nobody is going to bother with in camera for DSLRs or EVIL/MILC systems, I can't recall anything really notable. 

It's nice having a decent, very unobtrusive camera with you all the time, but they aren't a replacement for the real deal yet. nor will they likely ever be given the physics of the whole thing. 

Well the HDR stuff is very useful but the biggest thing is having a high quality camera with you at all time. As far as replacements for dslr many of the 4/3rd cameras are already there. Then there is a new camera I saw in the WSJ a month or so ago that is about the size of a cell phone but maybe twice the width that has around a dozen small lenses and combines them with software to make 50+ megapixel images that combine wide angle and telephoto in one image that you can zoom in on with amazing quality. Still in beta at about $2,000 but that technology is amazing.

I'll offer the friends and family discount of only $2,250 - cash only.  I will deliver for free anywhere in Morris County too, with the exception of certain locals that I would have to be able to legally carry a gun to go to - sorry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Howard said:

Unfortunately there is no technology that can make up for my shitty photography skills. 

2 hours ago, Howard said:

I'll offer the friends and family discount of only $2,250 - cash only.  I will deliver for free anywhere in Morris County too, with the exception of certain locals that I would have to be able to legally carry a gun to go to - sorry.

Where the hell in Morris County would you need to carry a gun? LOL Just wondering. 

On a serious note, cause I'm just funning with you Howard, I work in the industry. Before my store opened this morning everything but the 64GB Silver wasn't scheduled to ship until early December. This is gonna be a shit show. 

Also, I have a 6 with 16GB of memory. This is the first iPhone I'm actually excited about. I'd take a Samsung or Pixel over an iPhone any day, but I am intrigued. I'm not $1000 intrigued though LOL

32 minutes ago, InFamous said:

Where the hell in Morris County would you need to carry a gun? LOL Just wondering. 

On a serious note, cause I'm just funning with you Howard, I work in the industry. Before my store opened this morning everything but the 64GB Silver wasn't scheduled to ship until early December. This is gonna be a shit show. 

Also, I have a 6 with 16GB of memory. This is the first iPhone I'm actually excited about. I'd take a Samsung or Pixel over an iPhone any day, but I am intrigued. I'm not $1000 intrigued though LOL

Guess you have never been to Victory Gardens, or the Hollows in Morristown :)

I lucked out, they had one with 256 gigs left at Bridgewater that will be available for me in the morning next Friday.  Just lucky I guess.

I have a 6+ with 64gigs, but running out of memory on it.  Never saw the need to upgrade to the 6s+, 7+ or 7s+ or even the 8+.  But the X has enough features that it seems worth it, and I'll switch my wife over to my 6+ replacing the crap Android she has.  What's a thousand dollars anyway, just a few matches worth of ammo :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howard said:

Guess you have never been to Victory Gardens, or the Hollows in Morristown :)

I lucked out, they had one with 256 gigs left at Bridgewater that will be available for me in the morning next Friday.  Just lucky I guess.

I have a 6+ with 64gigs, but running out of memory on it.  Never saw the need to upgrade to the 6s+, 7+ or 7s+ or even the 8+.  But the X has enough features that it seems worth it, and I'll switch my wife over to my 6+ replacing the crap Android she has.  What's a thousand dollars anyway, just a few matches worth of ammo :)

I have been to Victory Gardens! LMAO. I don't go to Mo-Town if possible. 

They did an instore pickup for a preorder in Bridgewater? What carrier?

I have 16GB and I'm gasping for air but with the new update it archived a ton of my photo's and freed up 3GB of memory. I'm just keeping this damn thing as long as I can, although I do want the X. I won't be allowed to order one until sometime next year anyway. Right now I'm paying on 2 phones on my account so not really looking to add another $40 to my bill, even as an employee with a discount on my plan lol

The big difference for me is I get a company phone, which is a Note 8 right now, so I don't give a shit what my personal phone is. So that has a lot to do with it and me not caring as much. 

17 minutes ago, InFamous said:

I have been to Victory Gardens! LMAO. I don't go to Mo-Town if possible. 

They did an instore pickup for a preorder in Bridgewater? What carrier?

I have 16GB and I'm gasping for air but with the new update it archived a ton of my photo's and freed up 3GB of memory. I'm just keeping this damn thing as long as I can, although I do want the X. I won't be allowed to order one until sometime next year anyway. Right now I'm paying on 2 phones on my account so not really looking to add another $40 to my bill, even as an employee with a discount on my plan lol

The big difference for me is I get a company phone, which is a Note 8 right now, so I don't give a shit what my personal phone is. So that has a lot to do with it and me not caring as much. 

I am using Sprint right now, but don't have a contract.  Had Verizon for just about forever but a month or two ago Sprint offered me a year of service with unlimited voice, text AND data for free, all I pay is the $3.60 a month for taxes - could not say no to that.  There is no obligation to stay or to continue after the year.  So, I have no problem paying for the phone outright on the $55 a month I am saving over Verizon.  When you pay the full amount you get an unlocked phone that can be used on any provider.

As far as filling the phone, if you use something like Flickr or Google you can upload all your photos to their sites and not store any on the phone which saves memory.

14 minutes ago, Barms said:

Keep at it fellas.  I’m long AAPL

Will keep at it, but I was very happy to be LONG Amazon today!  Sure beat the crap out of AAPL :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howard said:

I am using Sprint right now, but don't have a contract.  Had Verizon for just about forever but a month or two ago Sprint offered me a year of service with unlimited voice, text AND data for free, all I pay is the $3.60 a month for taxes - could not say no to that.  There is no obligation to stay or to continue after the year.  So, I have no problem paying for the phone outright on the $55 a month I am saving over Verizon.  When you pay the full amount you get an unlocked phone that can be used on any provider.

As far as filling the phone, if you use something like Flickr or Google you can upload all your photos to their sites and not store any on the phone which saves memory.

Will keep at it, but I was very happy to be LONG Amazon today!  Sure beat the crap out of AAPL :)

Good lord! I don't blame you, if they offered me that I would switch and I'm a VZW employee lol

• Like 1

Personally, I am looking at the 8 Plus over the X...

Have the 6 Plus, with 128 GB. No issue with capacity, as I still have over half free, but with iOS 11, it is starting to run a little off (I’m sure will be smoother with 11.1). I keep it in a Lifeproof case, but the 8+ being waterproof is a big factor for me (yea, the X is, as well). I’m sure I’ll still buy a Lifeproof case for it, but being waterproof if the case fails is big. The 256 GB option is also a nice touch, as I go for the largest capacity when I buy. Glad they standardized on it and the 64 GB.

But the difference between the X that I’m passing on is the lack of a home button. With face ID, I’m sure it is going to be the future... but I prefer going with something tested. I know when Touch ID will work and will not work.

Considering my move/upcoming training, I may wait a little bit before getting a new iPhone. The 6 Plus works, and I’m not under the gun to get a new phone (if I had my old 5, probably). I take care of it, so until it stops being updated or doesn’t work with some of my apps, I’m fine with it.

I find the touch ID to be useless about 50% of the time, one of the reasons I am happy to try the face ID as it can't be any worse than the touch.  

I have read many articles talking about Apples marketing strategy and they have taken the conclusion that the iPhone 8 was designed to be a failure, which is why they are continuing to make and sell the 7 series.  The concept is there is a huge price jump from the 7 to the X, so they came out with another model that is only $200 less than the X but doesn't offer all that much more than the 7.  Thus, people that want a new phone first say, wow that X is so expensive so they decided they want the 8.  But once they make that decision then they reconsider and say "well it is only $200 more to get what I really want"  Thus, the 8 is really the phone that Apple does not want anyone to buy.  They want you to buy the 7 if you want a cheaper phone or reach to buy the higher cost higher margin X.

• Like 1

That’s really interesting.  How much has that theory played out I wonder. Sales of the 8 and 8+ were very high. Granted the X wasn’t out yet. 

Id imagine very few of the last generation upgrade. People with a 7 won’t get an 8 just like people with a 6 didn’t get a 7. Most of the folks I know who upgraded were at least 2 generations back.  The X may change that since they basically released two generations at once and may catch 7 users coming up on their One-Every-year upgrade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

For me. They are getting tooo big. My wife has the 8 cause hers crapped out shortly after mine. But she’s got a purse...

The 6+, 7+ and 8+ are all about the same size.  The X which has a bigger screen than those is actually a smaller phone.  By removing the finger print sensor they were able to make the X roughly 1/4" narrower and 1/2" shorter.  That makes it much more pocket friendly.

• Like 1

I refuse to spend $1,000 for a cell phone. 

It is bad enough Apple crashed my 5S and made me have to buy a 7. It is all a scam. They force you to run updates, then crash your phone forcing you to have to upgrade. This has had to happen to others here; it is happened to several others I know. There should be so class-action lawsuit against Apple. 

S. 

• Like 1

On October 27, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Howard said:

Pre-orders for iPhone X started at 3am EDT and for delivery next Friday, but they are all gone with delivery now estimated at 5 to 6 weeks.  Saw some now selling on eBay for over $2,500.  I wonder if I should sell the one I locked in for next Friday and turn a better than 200% profit????

That would be an easy decision for me. Katchin!

1 hour ago, Stonecoldchavez said:

I refuse to spend $1,000 for a cell phone. 

It is bad enough Apple crashed my 5S and made me have to buy a 7. It is all a scam. They force you to run updates, then crash your phone forcing you to have to upgrade. This has had to happen to others here; it is happened to several others I know. There should be so class-action lawsuit against Apple. 

S. 

Same.