dgstinner

Three permits coming, help me decide what to get

I submitted paperwork about a week ago so I have time to decide what to get.  I know one of the permits will be for a 1911. The other two, I'm at a loss to decide.

I already have a S&W SD9 (non VE), Ruger Mark III 22/45, and a S&W 500.

For the 1911, I'm leaning towards Colt (either series 70 or 1991).

I vaguely remember years ago, when I bought my Mosin Nagant rifle from AIM Surplus, there was a C&R pistol AIM would have occasionally (Mosin revolver?).

Worse case scenario, I use one of the permits to transfer my father's 44 Magnum into my collection.

If one of the permits is allocated to a 1911, I would start looking for a used series 70 or 80 model. Even seen a few Gold Cups floating around at a good price.  Most have little to no wear and are in great shape.  I see no pocket rockets on your list. Perhaps a CCW type maybe a choice.  If Dad is thinking of transferring his 44 I would save one for that of course, otherwise you guess is as good as mine

I am getting a GLOCK 19 GEN5 with one of my 2 permits on the way. Like yourself, with my second I am interested in getting a 1911, I do not want to spend a lot on it. Looking at new Colt M1991 or the Series 70 but cannot find any stock in SJ. Not completely sold on 1911, if I can't get one in the price range I would consider Beretta M9 or SIG P320 if I can find any around. 

STI did limited run on HAWK 5.0 in 2011 model in 9mm but it holds too many rounds for NJ i was eying it up..Nice pistol all black..

you would have to swap the mags out for 120mm.

theres one listed on gunbroker..

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/713387958

6 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical!! An unbelievable shooter and not hard to find for under $600. I just got one and absolutely love. I loved it so much I got a second CZ shortly after!

I just picked up the sp01 with the safety instead of the de-cocker ( that the only difference between the standard and tactical models) and one of the guys in my bullseye league did a group of three at 25 yards one handed bullseye style. 2-x’s and 1-9 so a 1.5” group !!! Even I was able to do 3 inch groups of 3 at 25 yards (2 handed though :), I am still a bullseye noob ) This is no mods out of the box, crazy accurate gun! I am afraid to see how accurate one of their race guns is or what CGW or CZCustom can do with one...

-Jim

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimB1 said:

I just picked up the sp01 with the safety instead of the de-cocker ( that the only difference between the standard and tactical models) and one of the guys in my bullseye league did a group of three at 25 yards one handed bullseye style. 2-x’s and 1-9 so a 1.5” group !!! Even I was able to do 3 inch groups of 3 at 25 yards (2 handed though :), I am still a bullseye noob ) This is no mods out of the box, crazy accurate gun! I am afraid to see how accurate one of their race guns is or what CGW or CZCustom can do with one...

-Jim

Yup, I just got a lighter recoil and hammer spring, and plan to polish some internals after about 1k rounds, but so far it had shot unbelievably well. I never knew I could be so accurate. Truly an amazing gun especially for the price!

only annoying part is that the 15 round mags are pricey 

Y

On 10/30/2017 at 11:10 AM, stuckinNJ said:

Yup, I just got a lighter recoil and hammer spring, and plan to polish some internals after about 1k rounds, but so far it had shot unbelievably well. I never knew I could be so accurate. Truly an amazing gun especially for the price!

only annoying part is that the 15 round mags are pricey 

You guys are killing me !!! I Won (Bought) a CZ SP01 Tactical on Gun broker and had it sent to CGW. That was 7 weeks ago there is a 10 week wait. Counting the Days David from CGW calls and says gun is ready to ship ! I have a CZ97BD, CZ 75D they are great guns. This is the first CZ to be Cajunized.

14 minutes ago, csap32 said:

I'm only seeing the tactical with 18 rd

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

True. So there is a model that comes with 10 round mags (SKU 01153) but the FFL I ordered from didn’t mind shipping the gun with the 18 round mags to my FFL since it is legal and my FFL did not mind accepting them. I got 2 extra mags on promo so I actually sold 2 of them online and my FFL was kind enough to ship them for me (since I wasn’t allowed to take possession) and the other 2 I used magblocks to limit them to 15.

I also bought some MecGar 15 round mags.

some shops will ship hi cap mags to NJ if your FFL will assure them in writing that they’ll pin them. I used ocean Armory in Manahawkin and Mike there is extremely helpful!

On 11/10/2017 at 7:43 AM, MacDan said:

Update: got a 1911 with my second permit, Springfield Armory Range Officer for $700. OP what did you decide?

Finally got my permits. Only took 60 days this time instead of 90.  Picked up a Taurus PT1911. Now to start thinking about permit #2.

Under $1000. Preferably around $500-600. Wouldn't want to piss the wife off.

Have you ruled out CZ? They’re easy under $600.

Are you aware that HK just had major price reductions? You can get VP9 LE or Tactical for under $600 as well as P30s.

I cannot recommend CZ enough. Let me know if you’d like some leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, dgstinner said:
I haven't ruled out CZ.  I just don't know much about them.  I'll take a look at the HK.  I've also thought about Beretta, either the PICO or the 92FS.

Ok well I’d definitely give CZ a try if I were you. Everyone I know who has tried them has been hooked. They’re incredible shooters especially for the price.

If you want more info on the HK price drops, here’s a link to a thread on it. Here

But you really can’t go wrong with a CZ 75. I went from 1 to 3 in as many months lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, Krdshrk said:

I just got a Beretta M9A3.  Loving it so far.  

Looking at other guns too for permits 2 and 3 for myself... Thinking a Ruger LCR and something else... 

I have the snubby and the 3 inch in 38 special.  Hit me up if you want to blast away.

I second or third a CZ.  Here is a good review of the base CZ-75.

Sootch00 CZ-75B Review

I have the 75B and the P01 (compact model...really more of a midsize).  I only purchased a 75B because I couldn't find a SP01 any where at the time.  They are very nice, very accurate and well priced firearms.

Eventually I would like to pick up a 22 CZ bolt action as I've read they are very accurate as well.

The only negative I've ever heard about CZs is that people regret selling theirs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

The only negative I've ever heard about CZs is that people regret selling theirs.

The 10 round magazines are the deal breaker for me, otherwise I'd have a few more myself.

My permits just came in last week. Last night i went to GSSC in Lakewood and picked up the S&W M&P 2.0 9mm. It is my 3rd M&P but my first 2.0. IMO it has the most comfortable grip out there next to the Sig 226. I highly recommend the M&P line. Next one will be the Sig 320 or another glock prob the 23. These 15 round mags might be a prob real soon though unfortunately.