WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Grip Strength Training

I've been messing around with these Captains of Crush grippers from IronMind at my desk while I work.

Granted, I started out with weak, girly hands but I'm noticing the trigger pulls I thought were abhorrent before are now not so bad.

http://www.ironmind.com/product-info/about-grip-strength-and-hand-health-/grip-training-for-handgunners/

coc-caddy-web.jpg

Anyway, practice on a hot dog first...

hqdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

I've been messing around with these Captains of Crush grippers from IronMind at my desk while I work.
Granted, I started out with weak, girly hands but I'm noticing the trigger pulls I thought were abhorrent before are now not so bad.

Maybe the springs are getting weaker. LOL

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Captains of Crush put out some excellent products.  I have the T through 3.0.  When I started I had trouble closing the T.  The knurling was also killer on my hands, but now it doesn't bother me.  Just had to get used to it.  

On a good day I can close the 2.5 with my right hand.  I can rep the 2.0 in both hands.  Still a ways away from the 3, but I'll get there and I plan on getting certified for it when I do.  

I noticed an improvement with my shooting after I started training grip, particularly weak hand shooting.  

I also like fat gripz for barbell and dumbbells 

http://www.fatgripz.com

I just received the .5 and boy does it dig into the fingers.  I cut a strip from old undershirt to wrap twice around it...helps.   I can close it 4 times in each hand. Not sure if that is good.    If or when I can do 10 reps then I will go up to 1.0.  

On 3/10/2018 at 9:55 AM, tblant said:

I just received the .5 and boy does it dig into the fingers.  I cut a strip from old undershirt to wrap twice around it...helps.   I can close it 4 times in each hand. Not sure if that is good.    If or when I can do 10 reps then I will go up to 1.0.  

Keep going!  Your fingers will get used to it after a while.  Get the 1.0 sooner than later.  Once you start practicing with the 1.0, even if you can't close it all the way at first, you'll likely make more progress towards closing the 1.0 by practicing with the 1.0 than going bananas on the .5.  I started on the T and moved to the 1.0 from there.  Hold onto that .5 even after it gets "easy", you'll still need it to warm up.  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 11:14 AM, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

@WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Like you, several years ago when I started shooting handguns, after a short period of shooting 50-100 rounds, my right hand would start to tremble or shake a bit, (I am right handed).   I realized that my action, position and horizontal reach in the act of shooting the handgun made me use hand, wrist and arm muscles that I was not used to using for an extended stretch of time.  I decided to do some specific exercises to counteract that natural physical reaction.  So in addition to increasing my dumb bell curls for my arms and wrists strengthening, I did some research on what tools were available today that I could use to strengthen my hands and finger muscles. 

At that time, I discovered the Prohands Hand Exercisers.  They offer a variety of models, with their GripMaster being their signature item, offered in different models with graduated resistance.  I ended up purchasing for $14 through Amazon.com, a GripMaster Pro Hands Heavy Tension Hand Grip.  It is nice and compact, with an ergonomically simple design that effectively provides compression resistance of 9 lbs per finger, (Heavy Tension model).  What I really like about it is that it isolates and strengthens each finger individually,  I even found that it helped reduce some of the pain caused by what I think may be either tendinitis or the early stages of arthritis in my thumb joint.  

I can use it while watching TV or reading and do at least 150 "squeezes" in each hand per session.  That short and simple regiment, repeated daily or every other day, has significantly increased my grasping power in both hands and successfully eliminated any hand shaking or trembling while shooting, for any number of rounds or duration on the range. An added benefit is that it has helped me maintain a better grip when using a golf club, tennis racquet or squash racquet as well.  Here are some links to the ProHands web site and that model:

http://www.prohands.net/who/sports/handgun/

http://www.prohands.net/products/

http://www.prohands.net/why/

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

I have a twisty thing lying around my house somewhere, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0046F26LQ/ezvid02-20

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm going to have to dig it out and start using it.

Thanks for the link. I lost my twist-o-grip when I moved. This looks like a better version of that.