pho3nix

Any HVAC Pros or Super-DIYers in Morris County?

Hi NJGF,

Looking to replace my two natural gas Carrier (4ton each I believe) units with something new. These were 'top shelf' from the late 80s (have cool jets and stuff, had HVAC people from Costco/Lowes come through). Insane prices compared to looking up the hardware and purchasing it myself and self-installing. However, I would feel much better paying someone directly to help/oversee the installation, just in case we run into a snag.

Anyone in Morris county interested in making a few bucks (well, more than that, I know what a full day will cost and we can talk about that before you come out) on the side? I'm okay with pulling a permit and doing things on the up-and-up.

(Or pointers for honest shops/teams for a quote).

PS - The AC is from the 70s and is the older 'in-line/in-vent style' that could be dealt with at the same time, or later. Also two units/zones. It is also a ranch, easy access, etc, all units in basement. 

Thank you!

As it happens I have a brand new Carrier 98% condensing furnace with an A-coil that I don't need. I was going to split my house into two zones but I'm moving instead. Was a $1200 unit and $400 coil if youre interested I'll give you a great deal, let me know

Have 15 feet or so of slip and drive duct work too

10 hours ago, BenC said:

Hi NJGF,

Looking to replace my two natural gas Carrier (4ton each I believe) units with something new. These were 'top shelf' from the late 80s (have cool jets and stuff, had HVAC people from Costco/Lowes come through). Insane prices compared to looking up the hardware and purchasing it myself and self-installing. However, I would feel much better paying someone directly to help/oversee the installation, just in case we run into a snag.

Anyone in Morris county interested in making a few bucks (well, more than that, I know what a full day will cost and we can talk about that before you come out) on the side? I'm okay with pulling a permit and doing things on the up-and-up.

(Or pointers for honest shops/teams for a quote).

PS - The AC is from the 70s and is the older 'in-line/in-vent style' that could be dealt with at the same time, or later. Also two units/zones. It is also a ranch, easy access, etc, all units in basement. 

Thank you!

Fyi unless you have a refrigerant licenses you will be buying a unit without refrigerant in it and would have to get someone who has their licenses to charge the unit with refrigerant.

• Like 2

Fyi unless you have a refrigerant licenses you will be buying a unit without refrigerant in it and would have to get someone who has their licenses to charge the unit with refrigerant.
They won't sell you a unit without refrigerant at most supply houses either. Many won't deal with the general public at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, DeerSlayer said:

They won't sell you a unit without refrigerant at most supply houses either. Many won't deal with the general public at all.

But there is plenty for sale on the internet..........

Yes to handle refrigerant you need someone with the certification to do so, and the equipment to deal with it. That's the only part you have to hire someone for. Making the lineset connections, nitrogen test all the brazed joints, vacuum pump down the lines, and release the charge/top off refrigerant.

Right now I'm not doing any installs unless they're emergencies, it's service season. We're out doing break downs and cleanings right now. If you want any advice I'll gladly give you my opinion though. If you want to wait till spring I can help you with physically being there.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'll PM deerslayer to see if he wants to come out for a verbal, and maybe set something up for the spring. We can get through with what we have this season I believe.

I'm also on some land with an amicable neighbor with plenty of deer (and coyote and a river with black bear). Maybe we can work something out.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'll PM deerslayer to see if he wants to come out for a verbal, and maybe set something up for the spring. We can get through with what we have this season I believe.
I'm also on some land with an amicable neighbor with plenty of deer (and coyote and a river with black bear). Maybe we can work something out.
You should see my spot in Randolph lol... I'm on a 90 acre farm, and I'm the only guy with written permission to hunt.

But I can come look at what you have whenever. I'm in morris county every day.

But there is plenty for sale on the internet..........
There are. But don't get caught opening the valves on the unit without an EPA card in your pocket. The fine is $27,000.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeerSlayer said:

There are. But don't get caught opening the valves on the unit without an EPA card in your pocket. The fine is $27,000.

I have mine, Just no time for side jobs lol.

• Like 1