Sign in to follow this  
tbtrout

Springfield Armory Inc M1 Value help

Not looking for forged vs cast. Does not matter to me.

I have one, it is a great shooter in great shape. What I am looking for is what is a fair value. I am thinning my stuff and this is not one of my go to rifles so I am looking to sell just not sure what it is worth. 

Please do not try and compare to a CMP rifle. it is what it is a, well made rifle.

With it I will also be selling around 700 rds in clips, 400 or so of it in bandoleers with cardboard inserts. It is non reloadable Danish. not sure value.

Thank youGarand.thumb.jpg.75437c4e3adf0cd85811d921de7f5064.jpg59f8d24817b60_Garand2.thumb.jpg.31cc373d0a80da9e7b29fa2f180c7496.jpg59f8d23d30c6a_Garand1.thumb.jpg.d2e273cf2dea6f3e7ec275040884a28a.jpgthanks for your help

Agreed... when I bought my Century build (Lithgow receiver, VAR barrel, Springfield/PB parts), I paid what I thought the parts would be. Got lucky on the receiver, which Shuff gave it a good to go.

Barrel is pretty much brand new. New wood, rebuilt... more/less, a new rifle.

Need more info.

Thanks, but this is seeming way too complicated. How do I know which parts are new and which are old? Better yet, who can look at it and tell me?

Think the stock and receiver are new... everything else is refinished USGI (unless SAI got foreign surplus, which is possible; Century got PB parts).

Sorry, but how is looking for a date/manufacturer on the barrel complicated? Most parts have lot numbers on them, but the main parts usually have marks from manufacturers (SA, HRA, PB, etc). Also, barrel wear is another thing to consider. If it was a surplus barrel, it might have a little more to a lot more wear than my VAR barrel. It will still shoot well, but lower numbers equate to a less shot barrel. If someone is really looking for a shooter, can be a big disparity in price right there.

From what I see, I’d put the rifle anywhere from $550 to $750 (because I don’t know; good barrel, higher end... less good barrel, lower end). Ammo... I’m very bad with what surplus ammo goes for. My 1,000 rounds of LC and Iranian works out to about $0.68 per round... back before ammo went crazy. If I use that price, about $475 for ammo (I don’t think bandoliers matter that much, unless you have sealed cans with them). I definitely will say get someone with better knowledge of surplus ammo values. But you are likely going to either have it sit for a while and maybe get someone with money to spend, or you are going to have a guy that knows Garands pick at your price for the things mentioned. Firearm sales are pretty stagnant right now.

Also, that estimate I gave was a tad higher than my Century gun with an awesome barrel (wood was crap, and the Lithgow receiver is a turn off). Personally, I’d probably go lower end due to the stock with the engraving. Do you have the box that goes with it (believe they were wood)? Might get a few dollars more for that, if included (kind of like Mosin crates).

My rebuilt Century rifle is likely a better rifle, and if you’ve shot yours, in better condition. No pissing match, but had it rebuilt and restocked... with a pretty much new Danish barrel. Even if you don’t want the forged/cast debate, it does have an effect on value. Even though Shuff looked at mine, nobody is going to pay $800 to $1,000 for my rifle... unless I toss in my 1,000 rounds. If they did, they didn’t do any research and are buying it because they want a Garand. SAI guns are in a similar boat, because people see SA in SAI, and think it is the same Springfield Armory. That goes into my estimate.

Screwball, thank you that is what I was looking for. I understand forged vs cast but I do not want the opinions, the rifle is what it is. I have a better idea what to look for.  You answered perfectly and if I do sell I can do it knowing I am not screwing the next guy. Value is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Thanks again