AlDente67

MetroPCS

I just noticed that MetropcS uses the T-Bob network....4 lines with no data caps for $100 all-in (including taxes and fees).

Since we currently pay twice that for 4 lines on T-Mob, I assume that the same phones would be used if we want?  There must be a catch.  Anyone know what it might be?

I use MetroPCS for my android phone.  Works great.  Same phones can be used from TMo.  

If you bring your own phone you'll have to pay for a sim card too.

If you're roaming in another country, I believe T-Mobile includes it automatically, but with MetroPCS you need to add it on.  Canada it's a $5 add-on, same for Mexico.  Other countries there's a $10 addon.

Some things also may not come in OTA (android updates, etc) as fast as on TMO but that's a minimal point.

Around this area - I have comparable coverage as my Verizon iPhone 6.  I have a Nexus 6P on MetroPCS so it uses TMO's Band 12 LTE so it gets great coverage pretty much everywhere.

The only dead spots are when I'm out in the middle of nowhere - like when I'm driving up to my parents' place in Vermont - in the very rural stretch.

Go to your current carrier and talk to their retention department and demand a better deal, often they will work with you to not lose a customer.  

I just switched, from Verizon to Sprint cause they had a deal that was too good to pass on.  I had Verizon like forever, and was not on a contract.  Sprint offered to switch me for free and give me unlimited voice, text, and yes data for a year for free.  Yes, the monthly cost is free - all I pay are the taxes of $3.60 / month.  No contract and no obligation to stay with them when the deal expires.  I was paying about $53/mo for unlimited text and voice and only 2 gigs of data with Verizon.

21 minutes ago, Howard said:

I just switched, from Verizon to Sprint cause they had a deal that was too good to pass on.  I had Verizon like forever, and was not on a contract.  Sprint offered to switch me for free and give me unlimited voice, text, and yes data for a year for free.  Yes, the monthly cost is free - all I pay are the taxes of $3.60 / month.  No contract and no obligation to stay with them when the deal expires.  I was paying about $53/mo for unlimited text and voice and only 2 gigs of data with Verizon.

Sprint is the only one I wouldn't switch to - Their service sucks more than TMO.

11 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Sprint is the only one I wouldn't switch to - Their service sucks more than TMO.

Actually I am finding their service about the same as Verizon.  There are a few areas where I now get service that I did not before and some that I had before and don't know, but overall just about the same.

Switched to the $50 for two (plus two "free" phones) deal from MetroPCS a few months ago.  I had a dying phone from Virgin Mobile, and virgin is in the process of switching themselves over to an iPhone-only operation.  Their deals werent too bad, but I had no desire to pay 300 for an iPhone.  Sooo.....I jumped on MetroPCS deal for my wifes phone and mine.

First vendor I went to wanted to sell me all kinds of extras, and told me he couldnt just do the $50 for two lines deal.....well, he was full of .........  Went to another guy, who wrote it up, no problem, so you may want to watch some of these operators looking to sell you what you dont need.  I DID buy two cases (at about $12 each) and its $50 a month for everything...well, paying via the net.  Its $53 if you go to the store and pay....I guess thats what he gets for his trouble.  

Phones work fine, service is good enough here in the middle of south jersey.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I switched to Cricket Wireless back in December of last year after being a Verizon customer for 16 years. Cricket is owned by AT&T and they use their network, I have never had a coverage issue at all. I pay $60 a month for two phones with unlimited talk, text and 1 Gb of data for each line (I dont use much data at all). Like mentioned above if you dont need the newest Iphone/ Galaxy S8 phone prepaid is the way to go. I have a ZTE Grand X 4 that I paid $80 for and I love it, if I break it i will just get another phone for less than $100. 

One of the reasons I left ATT was no matter how many years ya bitched about dead zones where there should not be, they never improved their service. Went to Verizon because they were the only ones I knew of that I can get some bars at Cherry Ridge. Nothing worse being around idiots with guns and no easy way to calk in an emergency. That and I could not use any of my ballistic apps easily.
I guess no services are perfect. I also had to have coverage when I travel the redneck triangle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just switched to Project Fi.  Requires a Nexus phone (google phone , pure android).  Picked up a new Pixel XL on ebay for $400.  $30/month for 1G, each additional G is $10.  Networks are T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular.  

Switched from Verizon and very happy with the results.  I've yet to find an area where T-Mobile doesn't have a better signal than I had with Verizon, which is not what I was expecting at all.

If anyone is interested in a referral code we will both get $20 credit. 

One thing to remember with these services, just like anything else when there's a catastrophe they will fail. Just like Sandy, how willing are you to be without your phone? Verizon, although the most expensive, does right by their customers by making sure they have service at all cost possible. Most companies' towers have a 4 hour battery backup in case of power loss, Verizon has 8 hour battery backup and generators on top of that to make sure their customers don't lose service. In times like Harvey they dispatch mobile units to provide service and aide. It's not only local, it's global, every catastrophe overseas like the Japan Tsunami etc, Verizon has provided FREE calls from people in the US to those in the affected country. Cheap is great, yes, but for those that preach about stocking food, water, and ammo, also remember communication with family and friends. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, InFamous said:

One thing to remember with these services, just like anything else when there's a catastrophe they will fail. Just like Sandy, how willing are you to be without your phone? Verizon, although the most expensive, does right by their customers by making sure they have service at all cost possible. Most companies' towers have a 4 hour battery backup in case of power loss, Verizon has 8 hour battery backup and generators on top of that to make sure their customers don't lose service. In times like Harvey they dispatch mobile units to provide service and aide. It's not only local, it's global, every catastrophe overseas like the Japan Tsunami etc, Verizon has provided FREE calls from people in the US to those in the affected country. Cheap is great, yes, but for those that preach about stocking food, water, and ammo, also remember communication with family and friends. 

Yep - During the aftermath of Sandy, I had my Verizon iPhone and my MetroPCS Nexus 5 - MetroPCS had no service for a week.  My iPhone had at least 3G the whole time.

The main difference between something like AT&T & Cricket (same network) or T-Mo and Metro, or Sprint and Boost, is that one is the main carrier, the other is what is called an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator)

So it's 100% correct that it's on the same network, but here is the catch. Well, two main things to be specific.

The first is you're on the same network, but you may not get the same bandwidth. For example AT&T gives you ~60mbps on LTE, which is about what the technology is capable of. However a Cricket user is throttled at ~3mbps. If you're the type to just check e-mails and social media, you probably won't see a difference. But if you like to watch movies in 1080p or download stuff, you're going to see a drop in quality. 

The second is priority. If the network is overloaded or a cell reaches max capacity, the network may have to drop a call or give some users a slower load time for a few seconds/minutes. And guess who gets the short end of that stick? The guy that pays $100/mo instead of $200, that's who. However, if you live in the suburbs this is irrelevant really as it's just not going to happen often enough to matter. But if you work in a city, or a crowded building, or go to events in a stadium, then it will. 

Another thing can also be customer service. T-Mo, VZW, Sprint and AT&T have retail locations in your area and call centers in the US where someone gets paid to pretend to care about helping you understand your bill or how to install apps on your phone. The MVNO, tend to be independently owned shops or kiosks where basically you can buy something or get the fuck out. Is this an issue? Depends once again on you really.