PDM

Moving to PA Question

Between Murphy's likely election (yeah, yeah, I know, don't be defeatist, but just sayin...) and Trump's new tax plan (which would increase my tax rate to roughly 60% because of the loss of the deduction for state income tax and cap on deduction of mortgage interest), I have truly had it.  I just can't stay in NJ anymore.  The whole gun issue is just one of many factors that increasingly make NJ unlivable -- and it's only going to get worse as the state hurdles towards a public pension crisis, becoming a sanctuary state for illegal immigrants, etc.  I also simply can't stomach what a bunch of utterly clueless, head in the sand, idiots most of my neighbors are.  Just.  Can't. Anymore.

I'm not ready to retire for at least 10 years, but I can't stay in NJ.  BUT, I have a job in NYC that I can't replace -- both because I like it and it is lucrative.  I hit upon Yardley PA as a possibility.  Roughly an hour train commute each way on Amtrak from Trenton to Penn Station, which is better in both time and quality than my daily bus commute or drive from Bergen County.  (A monthly ticket on Amtrak is $1200, but even with that I will be way, way ahead of the game financially -- can essentially replace my house for 1/2 the price and 1/3 the property taxes, and PA's income tax rate is 3%, less than 1/2 of NJ).

So, two questions for those familiar with PA.  What is the Yardley area like?  And do people have the sense that the state is relatively safe from the disease of NJ gun laws.  I'm guessing even if additional laws are passed, it will take decades for it to get anywhere near as bad as NJ.

Thanks.

Yardley is really nice.  Stay out of Morrisville though.  Trenton seems to overflow into it.  I used to live in that township and would move back there in a heartbeat, but my wife says otherwise.  Don't cross Newtown off your list either.  It's a few more minutes drive, but worth it.

Yardley is a good choice as is Newtown, as Jeepster pointed out. You can lessen your NYC commute expense by using NJTransit out of Hamilton. Quick drive to the station from either locale via I-95/295.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yeah taking the train from Hamilton is better than going to Trenton. The parking is better too. Yardley, Makefield, Newton are all super nice. I'm like 25 minutes north in Buckingham/Doylestown. I moved here over 3 years ago from Short Hills and haven't looked back once.

6 hours ago, PDM said:

....  And do people have the sense that the state is relatively safe from the disease of NJ gun laws.  I'm guessing even if additional laws are passed, it will take decades for it to get anywhere near as bad as NJ

The Pennsylvania constitution has the following section:

§ 21.  Right to bear arms.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Unfortunately New Jersey has nothing like this in our constitution.

5 minutes ago, bluedog46 said:

On bright side to PA is while VA is getting more blue PA is getting more Red.

What is happening to VA is a prime example of what happens with Yankees moving south with yankee ways. Present company accepted.

Isn't it pretty much "northern VA" that's the issue, rather than the entire state?  Granted it's turned Blue anyway, but most of it being from Northern VA and the DC influence, right?

21 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Isn't it pretty much "northern VA" that's the issue, rather than the entire state?  Granted it's turned Blue anyway, but most of it being from Northern VA and the DC influence, right?

Well, northern VA, and the i95 corridor to Richmond then another large enclave around Virginia Tech in Blacksburg...

-Jim

On 11/3/2017 at 8:29 PM, Zouave said:

Yardley is nice and there definitely a few folks that you will see that do that commute to NYC from there.  I would also recommend going to Hamilton station if you can vs Trenton.  I think the extra drive is worth it.

Hamilton Train station seems like a decent commute to NYC.  70 minute train ride give or take. A 7:19a gets to NYC at 8:28a.  Similar evening trains. 3500 parking spots. $102/ month for parking.  Ugh.

Haven't checked the drive from the places we like so far to Hamilton. Seems way better than going up 202 to the Raritan line.

Area around New Hope is nice.  Prices vary.  We want less house .... more property.    And not a tract/development home.  Will have to check out Yardley area.  Kind of close to Trenton. But comments here sound good.

We'll see.  Haven't made a firm decision yet but it's looking like it will probably happen.