charleslee

Compliance Work Affect Value?

I want to purchase a Polytech Legend next month, fixed stock, NIB. That is when I w/ have the funds. The thing that really sucks is I’ll have to have some modifications done for it to be compliant here in The People’s Republic of New Jersey. Sigh! How I hate this state & yearn to get the hell out. The muzzle break w/ have to be pinned to the barrel & the ears w/ have to be ground off the bayo lug. I could live w/ that, however, I surely would prefer one 100% complete. It is what is unfortunately. How much do you fellas think this work would depreciate the value of the rifle??? Possibly not much if I were to ever want to sell it here but what about elsewhere? Not that I ever would plan on selling it but curious. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, charleslee said:

I want to purchase a Polytech Legend next month, fixed stock, NIB. That is when I w/ have the funds. The thing that really sucks is I’ll have to have some modifications done for it to be compliant here in The People’s Republic of New Jersey. Sigh! How I hate this state & yearn to get the hell out. The muzzle break w/ have to be pinned to the barrel & the ears w/ have to be ground off the bayo lug. I could live w/ that, however, I surely would prefer one 100% complete. It is what is unfortunately. How much do you fellas think this work would depreciate the value of the rifle??? Possibly not much if I were to ever want to sell it here but what about elsewhere? Not that I ever would plan on selling it but curious. Thanks. 

It would diminish the value of that gun. Polytech's are rare and supposed to be some of the best ak's made. I assume it's a pre ban so it would be a shame to neuter it.

I disagree that it will directly impact value... but it will impact broad desirability.. 

your audience will be more narrow because people in America will pass on it because they are "allowed" to have "evil features".. but someone in a state that disallows those things may actually find it MORE desirable since the "work" is already done.. and they won't have to shell out the extra time, money, and effort to get it compliant.. 

I wouldn't worry about it losing resale value.  There are plenty of compliant states you could sell it too like Cali. If the buyer wants to replace the gas block/muzzle break down the road its not to hard they can do it themselves or send it to a builder like JBI , Rifle Dynamics, DGS.

Personally i wouldn't do it to a $3,000+ firearm.  I wouldnt even ruin a $400 Bosnian FDL magazine.  But for a collecting stand point i see why you would want it.

i would chop the ears on the bayo lug, i'd add metal to the bottom and grind off it u leave nj.  as far as the brake goes, I would pin another same style brake and keep the original untouched.  this way it can go back to stock w no issues.