Mrs. Peel

Shooting Alone vs. with Buddies...

I was talking to my dad just today, telling him how excited I was to have recently joined a private range (SCFGPA). He was asking me questions and I explained the keycard system and that the place will probably be empty when I go (I plan to hit daytime hours). He immediately (quite sweetly, I thought!) looked concerned and said, "Oh... but isn't that dangerous?" I explained that if I was a brand new shooter I wouldn't do it... I wouldn't even have done it after 20-30 hours of shooting, but I now that I have have about 100 hours, I feel comfortable and confident. I explained that I'll continue to be compulsive about the safety rules - and I even explained them to him in detail. Then I gave him the example of driving a car... after all, I take road trips alone... sometimes on fairly empty roads. (I've seen plenty of deer dash across the road... pretty sure one won't run across the indoor range though, lol). He was completely satisfied with the logic. More importantly, I'm satisfied with that logic.

It did make me wonder this though: Is there anything you do DIFFERENTLY when you're shooting by yourself as opposed to when you're with other shooters? For example, I wouldn't personally shoot a straight-outta-the-box new gun for the first time when alone. I probably wouldn't even shoot a gun I hadn't shot at least 5-6 times before. For those rare situations, I'd prefer to meet up with another shooter or, heck, even use a commercial range. I'm not suggesting that for everyone, mind you... I'm just saying what my own comfort level dictates.

Other than that... I'm really looking forward to shooting solo. Don't laugh... but it almost feels like a "graduation" to a next level. And I fully expect it will be more quiet, less distracting, less smoky, and certainly more easily woven into my busy schedule.  But if there's some unique safety considerations I should be thinking about... I'd like to get a handle on that now, pls. Your thoughts/suggestions? 

• Like 3

Interesting topic.   I've never actually shot by myself, per say.  I've gone alone a bunch of times due to lack of friends but there was either an R.O. or other shooters. 

Now that I think about it, I would probably not do it.  

As an electrician, I've always worked with a partner.  If something bad happens, my partner can call 911or whatever is needed.  I can't call 911 if I'm passed out or dying. 

• Like 1

Interesting.  Like Ray I’ve only shot at ranges where there is at least a RO/SO around so my comments are purely academic. 

What risk do you think goes up if you’re alone at a range? Based on the post it seems your concerned about an accident due to malfunction or unfamiliarity.   If that’s the case you are in the best position to mitigate that risk regardless of range by maintaining and becoming familiar in the operation of the Firearms well before you get to the range. 

There is something to be said for reaction time after an accident. That’s true of a lot of scenarios.  Swimming in your own pool, driving a lonely road, posting on the Internet, etc. 

as for trauma kit. Having the gear does nothing without Training. Especially for trauma. It’s not just slapping a big bandaid on a deep red hole.  There is a reason the NJ EMT class is 200+ hours and the trauma refresher is 12-16 (I forget). 

• Like 2

I shoot alone at the range all the time.  I find it much more useful practice and much safer - there is no one else there to accidentally (or intentionally) shoot me.  Oh and since I am an RO/SO/RSO I have all three of them with me :)

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Interesting.  Like Ray I’ve only shot at ranges where there is at least a RO/SO around so my comments are purely academic. 

What risk do you think goes up if you’re alone at a range? Based on the post it seems your concerned about an accident due to malfunction or unfamiliarity.   If that’s the case you are in the best position to mitigate that risk regardless of range by maintaining and becoming familiar in the operation of the Firearms well before you get to the range. 

Sometimes, things happen that are beyond your control.  

19 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

There is something to be said for reaction time after an accident. That’s true of a lot of scenarios.  Swimming in your own pool, driving a lonely road, posting on the Internet, etc. 

as for trauma kit. Having the gear does nothing without Training. Especially for trauma. It’s not just slapping a big bandaid on a deep red hole.  There is a reason the NJ EMT class is 200+ hours and the trauma refresher is 12-16 (I forget). 

Yeah, malfunction was more my concern. I wouldn't even take a gun to shoot alone if I didn't feel familiar with it. But, hell, I bought a used Ruger... seems to be working great... but how do I know how it was abused (or not) before I bought it? or what fatigue the materials might be under? I'm sure it's incredibly rare, but let's say there's a weird catastrophic event I didn't even contribute to... and I'm alone. I guess it's worth considering, however unlikely. 

At the very least, yeah, I haven't had first aid training in DECADES. That's something that's probably smart to do for a whole host of reasons that are even more likely to happen outside of the range (coming upon a car accident etc).

11 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Sometimes, things happen that are beyond your control.  

Of course. I didn’t meant to imply otherwise.  I was more asking if the risks are higher or lower in this scenario. A case could be made that more of the risks are within your control when you’re solo vs a crowded range. Obviously not all. 

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Of course. I didn’t meant to imply otherwise.  I was more asking if the risks are higher or lower in this scenario. A case could be made that more of the risks are within your control when you’re solo vs a crowded range. Obviously not all. 

There will always be risks, but having another set of hands or set of eyes or another brain on hand is almost always a good thing.

Shooting alone is my favorite. I can focus on what I need to improve on that day without any distractions. Shooting with others is fun too but it more often then not it becomes turning money into noise because its a social event. I’m good if any of my guns malfunction but that comes with years of experience. 

This is all very interesting input, thanks. It doesn't dissuade me at all... but I realize there's some things I can do that would further amp up my comfort level and decrease that small risk even further... some can be immediate, some done over time... but I'll at least start getting them all rolling:

• I can get even more familiar with my Ruger --- really know it inside and out so I'm more adept at safely troubleshooting any problems. Exactly how to do that I need to figure out next. 
  • I've been really good about basic safety rules, but I intend to be even more compulsive and "ritualistic" about safety... I'll just get an exacting "routine" down that I follow each and every time at a relaxed pace. (After all, that's good whether you're alone or not!)
  • I'll keep my phone charged (great suggestion), but also test it in that building to make sure there's good coverage AND get a phone holster so I have my phone clipped to me.... not across the room buried in my bottomless purse.
  • I'll definitely look into first aid training (another great suggestion)... and I'll immediately familiarize myself with what they have right there at the range (I'm sure they have first aid supplies - I need to know exactly what and where, so I know what I might need to get). 
  • And for my own comfort level (don't mock me now!), I plan to arrive and leave in daylight. Short middle-aged lady carrying a range bag in a dark, desolate parking lot...?... ummm, no thanks! I realize it's nice, lovely Bridgewater, but still....

Basically, I have a pretty serious and cautious nature...it's nice to think through the risks, and plan to reduce them as much as possible...but ultimately, I think it's important to trust myself too. I mean, you gotta live your life fully, right? :D

• Like 3

I can understand why shooting alone could bother someone to degree.  I think a more common issue than injury is if your gun malfunctions and you don't know how to fix it or make it safe to transport home.

There are some things I prefer to do alone.  Load development, testing, and zeroing are some of them.  The difference in safety is I only have to be concerned for my own.  Not that much changes but if I'm the only one on the range I don't have to wait to see if the line is clear.  If I'm clear the line is clear.

Shooting with others takes twi different forms.

Shooting on a range with other people you don't know.  Maybe a place where you should be extra cognizant of what's going on around you.  If it's an organized competition there are usually more safety rules and eyeballs watching.

Shooting with people you know you.  You can be more comfortable here.  Even if you have reservations about someone in the group you know where to focus your attention.

You need to address your own comfort levels.  As you gain experience you will be more comfortable with different situations.

• Like 2

I hate going to the range alone because there's nobody around to see how awesome I am.  I'm kidding, I don't hate gong to the range alone. I'd say it's about 50/50.  When I'm dialing in a new scope, shooting for precision and need to concentrate, or just need some "me" time, I usually go alone.  But, I also love sharing my love for the sport and try to get people to come with me.  Shooting is both social and personal.

I used to hunt waterfowl alone too.  I actually preferred it, though I did hunt with others occasionally.  I hunted on a river that I have known my whole life, I could paddle to my favorite spots blindfolded. The quiet, the serenity, the singular interaction with nature was (for me) an almost spiritual experience.  This was long before cell phones so I brought a CB walkie with me and I was also close enough to other hunters and civilization that people could hear the universal distress signal of three consecutive shots spaced a few seconds apart.

As far as safety is concerned.  Shooting is no different than any other activity.  Driving, cleaning gutters, trimming tree limbs, walking down a flight of stairs.  As long as you are not stupid, your chances of survival are pretty good.

• Like 1

I really enjoy (1) taking new shooters to the range and (2) shooting alone.  I don't enjoy shooting with others (except for new shooters) quite as much.

I've had fun a hundred times shooting with others but there are lots of times that I'm in the mood to go it alone.

Taking someone, especially a new shooter, to the range is fun.  The first time is always exciting and I like to be part of that. I have never taken anyone shooting for their first time who didn't leave with a big stupid grin.  That's fun.

But, spending time breaking clays or punching paper when I can relax, take my time, nobody else is chatting with me, I don't have to take turns, I don't have to explain anything - that's a lot of fun too.

• Like 2

I also prefer shooting alone. I do enjoy teaching first timers though while fun it is also scary at times.

Noobies all get a long serious lecture about safety and rules from me. They still want that finger on the trigger when it should not be there!

17 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I can get even more familiar with my Ruger --- really know it inside and out so I'm more adept at safely troubleshooting any problems. Exactly how to do that I need to figure out next. 

There's a reason Marines learn to field strip guns while blindfolded.  It's not just a macho thing, but it is pretty macho, I guess.  I have a habit of "fondling" a new firearm  for days, sometimes weeks.  First, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but secondly (and more importantly) I become intimately familiar with every aspect of it.  The feel, the weight, the balance, the mechanics.  Snap caps are a great training aid too.  Now drop and gimme 20 maggot!

17 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

.but ultimately, I think it's important to trust myself too.

The more you handle your firearm, the more you shoot it, the more you train and become familiar with it, the more natural it will feel when you are handling or shooting it.That will build self confidence, confidence leads to trust.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

There's a reason Marines learn to field strip guns while blindfolded.  It's not just a macho thing, but it is pretty macho, I guess.  I have a habit of "fondling" a new firearm  for days, sometimes weeks.  First, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but secondly (and more importantly) I become intimately familiar with every aspect of it.  The feel, the weight, the balance, the mechanics.  Snap caps are a great training aid too.  Now drop and gimme 20 maggot!

The more you handle your firearm, the more you shoot it, the more you train and become familiar with it, the more natural it will feel when you are handling or shooting it.That will build self confidence, confidence leads to trust.

I gave you a "like" - despite the fact that I think you might have just called me Maggot! :facepalm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I gave you a "like" - despite the fact that I think you might have just called me Maggot! 

Did I st-st-st-stuuuu-ter maggot?!  You heard me right.  Now get down and start kissing the ground Marine!  Show mother Earth how much you lover her and the United States Marine Corps!!!

• Like 2

First learn the firearm.  Everything about it. Learn how to take it apart and put it back together beyond what the manual says is necessary for cleaning.  Do it until you master how it functions.  Prime example is the Ruger Mark II,  nice pistol, but with a tough learning curve.  Master it, and you will see how simple and reliable it is.  Almost all of my malfunctions were due to something the book said was not necessary to worry about.  Sounds involved but is not really.  Second, know your ammo. If factory, use a brand you trust. For me that's reliable brass cartridge ammo from reputable sources or loaded by me. Learn how the gun sounds when shooting that ammo.  Learn to recognize when it does not sound right, and STOP!  Always, pick up your brass and check it for things like flat or pierced primers, split case necks, excessive powder marks on the outside of the casing, etc!  All ammo can fail, factory or reloads.  

I have more apprehension shooting next to someone I do not know and know even less about their firearm. IMHO,there are always signs before methyl-ethyl-badshit happens.  You need to train yourself to know those signs.

Taking a firearm farther apart than is required for cleaning is poor advice AFAIC. More so on a regular basis.  There is no need to take a firearm totally apart unless it's broken.

Gunsmiths have made a lot of money putting guns back together from bags of parts people brought in by people who "felt the need" for what is commonly called a detail strip. There are some guns that are a PITA for an experienced gunsmith (the Marlin 60 and Nylon 66 come to mind).

Guns are not designed to be detail stripped on a regular basis.  Even with the proper tools you will put excessive wear on many parts.  I look now how to take a 1911 completely apart and put it back together. 

I have a Combat Commander I bought in 1974.  When was it taken completely apart again after it left the factory?  About 30 years and 30,000 rds later when the hammer was dropping to half cock.  Ran fine up to that time with only field stripping.

Everyone is not talented to disassemble guns just as most people can't  do the same with cars, computers, or do their own plumbing.

• Like 1