Mrs. Peel

Shooting Alone vs. with Buddies...

Even if you know everything, EVERYTHING about the gun in your hand shit still happens.  I'm not saying you shouldn't learn your gun, as you should.  But sometimes things happen that you can never plan for.  So, for that reason, I will not be alone if I am pulling the trigger.  Unless, of course, if it's in defense. 

Even if you know everything, EVERYTHING about the gun in your hand shit still happens.  I'm not saying you shouldn't learn your gun, as you should.  But sometimes things happen that you can never plan for.  So, for that reason, I will not be alone if I am pulling the trigger.  Unless, of course, if it's in defense. 

Well that is one way to do things, but it sounds a little too cautious. I️ go swimming in my pool alone, and shit can happen. I️ do electrical work at home as well when no one is home as well. All of these things have risk just like a Gun, but you have to live your life.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Howard said:

Well that is one way to do things, but it sounds a little too cautious. I️ go swimming in my pool alone, and shit can happen. I️ do electrical work at home as well when no one is home as well. All of these things have risk just like a Gun, but you have to live your life.

You can do all that stuff alone and be perfectly fine.  And odds are, you will be.  But gambling with your life isn't something I would recommend. 

Would you allow your daughter or son to go swimming in a lake by himself?  Of course not.

Would you allow your daughter or son to change an outlet by themselves?  Of course not.

2 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I'm second guessing my plan to replace all my outlets by myself tomorrow. I have minimal knowledge of electricity. Maybe I should go to the range instead....

If you need help, I'm here. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Would you allow your daughter or son to go swimming in a lake by himself?  Of course not.

On the same river I hunted alone when I was in my 20's, I used to swim and seine for bait fish alone when I was 9.  However, we had a 20x40 in ground pool and I learned to swim when I was four.

Who's to say that one time I declined to go duck hunting with one of my friends, that was the time I would have had my head blown off when he tripped over a branch.

12 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

On the same river I hunted alone when I was in my 20's, I used to swim and seine for bait fish alone when I was 9.  However, we had a 20x40 in ground pool and I learned to swim when I was four.

Who's to say that one time I declined to go duck hunting with one of my friends, that was the time I would have had my head blown off when he tripped over a branch.

Did you not see my last post?  Sure, you can do all that shit by yourself and would probably be fine.  But, again, SHIT happens.  

Did you not see my last post?  Sure, you can do all that shit by yourself and would probably be fine.  But, again, SHIT happens.  

Can’t live life in fear like that. You risk being killed each time you get behind the wheel. Do you ever eat when you are alone - you could choke to death. You could be out walking and trip and knock yourself out as you fall into a puddle and drown. I️ feel much safer out alone shooting at the range than with lots of dangerous newbies around me at a public range.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Would you allow your daughter or son to change an outlet by themselves?  Of course not.

Damn, didn't see this one.  I turned a 6x8 utility closet in my parent's basement into a "boy cave" when I was 10.  I wired a light switch, light socket and an outlet for my radio and tapped into a phone line  It was my first solo wiring project.  I didn't get electrocuted but I did stab myself in the hand with a tack when I was hanging a poster of Farrah Fawcett though. That really hurt bad.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Howard said:

I️ feel much safer out alone shooting at the range than with lots of dangerous newbies around me at a public range.

That actually might be true.  The Bullet Hole is one example. 

I'm not saying you can't do stuff by yourself.  But there are SOME things you just don't do alone.  I figured swimming and electrical work were two no brainers.   

That actually might be true.  The Bullet Hole is one example. 
I'm not saying you can't do stuff by yourself.  But there are SOME things you just don't do alone.  I figured swimming and electrical work were two no brainers.   

I️ agree bad idea to do swimming and electrical work at the same time, does not even matter if you have a friend close by :)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Howard said:

I️ agree bad idea to do swimming and electrical work at the same time, does not even matter if you have a friend close by :)

Now, this I agree with.  Our in ground pool had lights.  They went out/bad/malfunctioned, whatever.  Never gave trying to fix them a second thought.  Scary shit there.  They attracted biting flies at night anyway.  pool lights are stupid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Now, this I agree with.  Our in ground pool had lights.  They went out/bad/malfunctioned, whatever.  Never gave trying to fix them a second thought.  Scary shit there.  They attracted biting flies at night anyway.  pool lights are stupid.

Pool lighting is actually fairly safe.  The old style high voltage (like I still have) is typically in a sealed water tight fixture and the wires allow the entire fixture to be pulled out of the water to work on.  They are also all grounded and all metal is fully bonded.  Newer pools all have low voltage LED based lighting.

I tend to prefer going on my own most of the time, mainly because it allows me to go at times when there will likely be the fewest random people at the range.

The most important advice I can give you is this:  If your gun ever jams, make sure to throw it over the wall a few times.

Sadly, that IS the private range I belong to... :(

• Like 1

I'm almost always alone when pistol shooting.  It's a private range so 90% (or more) of the time I'm the only one there.

I feel MUCH safer there than at any public range I've been to.

For rifle shooting it's always at Cherry Ridge, so there's typically at least one or two other shooters.