MichaelDiggs

Lefty - Ordered a left handed AR15

Yup, I'm an oddball. I'm a lefty. I can't even write out my name using my right hand I'm so bad with it. I was told if I'm going to buy a rifle like an AR15 to get a left handed model so when shooting time comes I won't have to worry about hot bullet shells or fragments being ejected anywhere around my face. Are there any left handed people here that use a standard AR15 right hand setup and have no issues? When I view them on youtube your face is really close to that eject port. I have ordered a Stag Arms 2L model that is NJ compliant. Just your basic AR15 but made for lefties. I don't have to buy it if I feel it is not comfortable enough, and maybe try a right handed model. Smith&Wesson are making some really inexpensive NJ compliant AR15's. I don't necessarily like living in a non-free state but it is where the family is. Really need to do some thinking about moving out of here into a free state. 

Every lefty I have ever taught to shoot on the AR platform shoots a standard AR and shoot it very well.

I have seen a few of the Lefty Stags out in the wild. I have never seen one make it through a 3 day class without significant issues. Folks that bought them for serious use typically sell or trade them for a standard AR in short order.

Good luck with it.

Welcome to the special class of people who shoot from the correct side.

We're the only ones in our RIGHT minds!

I shoot a LH match rifle which began life as a Stag 6HL upper.

No more hot brass crawling over my right shoulder in sitting position and going down the back of my shirt.

As for moving, vote for Kim first!!!

The really bad part about all this is my dominant eye is my right eye! Sure, I can shoot hand guns easily enough and shotguns, but rifle time is fairly tricky sometimes. Trying to force my brain to be righty just isn't in my DNA. Close the right eye and hope for the best. Everyone tells me to shoot right handed. That's like telling a football quarter back to throw the ball with his other hand. Lefty is just what I am. I sure hope the Stag doesn't fall apart on me. They certainly charge a lot for a left handed model. What I really want is the Barrett REC7. I heard they are nice.

27 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Every lefty I have ever taught to shoot on the AR platform shoots a standard AR and shoot it very well.

I have seen a few of the Lefty Stags out in the wild. I have never seen one make it through a 3 day class without significant issues. Folks that bought them for serious use typically sell or trade them for a standard AR in short order.

Good luck with it.

This is what I would have said.  To a TEE

Makes me think I may have made a bad decision on ordering the Stag. Although I have seen and spoke with users that have a Stag and are happy with it. Maybe I should have gotten a right handed model. I see Smith&Wesson's out there for like $600 or less. This is the one I ordered. I think it was more of just having an AR in my collection really. Yea, I'll shoot lots of rounds through it, but the newness will wear off and I'll be looking at something else to buy. I just got into purchasing my first hand gun several months ago. I got a late start, and I'm an old man now but it sure is good therapy.

https://www.stagarms.com/model-2l/

As a lefty, I've fired a lot of right-handed AR-15/M-16's without issue except for the original M-16's in basic, (they didn't have a brass deflector and definitely had the problems you described -- brass across the eyebrows, brass down the shirt, etc).

I believe all the models now have that brass deflector and I really don't notice the ejections if I'm concentrating on the target, even on M-4's in auto, (burst).  Since you already ordered, that's great, but in the future you may want to try someone's RH version just to try it out.

1 hour ago, AlexTheSane said:

One of them has an ambi charging handle.  I've never had a problem either way.

The Raptor charging handle is a must on all my ARs, it just makes so much sense for lefties or for someone that wants to a true ambi rifle.

49 minutes ago, AlexTheSane said:

That's what I have on one of mine.  I really like it.  Don't shoot the others enough to upgrade them.

I haven't tried the ambi charging handle from Bravo Company USA, but I might get one for my next build.

Well, the store that supposedly ordered the STAG for me never contacted me back. I forgot them and ended up going with a Rebel Arms MOD 3. Right handed gun with %100 ambi controls. It is a beautiful rifle and seems to be made like a rock. I already ordered my backup sites and still researching optics. Either a holographic or scope. Aimpoint, Eotech, they both are expensive and both have great reviews. Anyone here have and Aimpoint or Eotech? Looking for a low profile MOA 2 or something like that. If it's $500+ then that's what it's gonna take to put some decent furniture on it. Little forearm handle, strap and maybe that's it. I believe the gun itself is high end enough for me so I won't be looking to change carrier parts, stock, etc....now, if I can only find out where the heck Rebel drilled that pin in to hold the stock. All I want to do is adjust it, not take it out of compliance. I should be allowed to do that in my own house. Then re-pin in.

7 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

The Raptor charging handle is a must on all my ARs, it just makes so much sense for lefties or for someone that wants to a true ambi rifle.

That's exactly what charging handle is on the Rebel. Love how they made the controls for lefties real easy and intuitive.

9 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

.now, if I can only find out where the heck Rebel drilled that pin in to hold the stock. All I want to do is adjust it, not take it out of compliance. I should be allowed to do that in my own house. Then re-pin in.

The roll pin is hidden underneath the lever.