pho3nix

Are Tube Fed 22Lrs Exempt from Assault Weapon restrictions?

Your incomplete question requires a Yes & No answer:

Semi-auto over 15 rounds is an "Assault Weapon" RIGHT NOW!  ANY semi-auto, including a Marlin Glenfield Model #60!

Lever & pump action .22 plinkers are NOT banned therefore they aren't subject to the restriction(s).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Your incomplete question requires a Yes & No answer:

Semi-auto over 15 rounds is an "Assault Weapon" RIGHT NOW!  ANY semi-auto, including a Marlin Glenfield Model #60!

Lever & pump action .22 plinkers are NOT banned therefore they aren't subject to the restriction(s).

You are correct. I thought Christie signed something exempting tube fed semi autos. Rats. I thought along with the slightly relaxed language around stopping while traveling.

This would be for a semi-auto, yes pump and manual action do not have limits.

Anyone else want to chime in or am I mistaken?

You can "pinch" the tube mag so it only holds & functions with 15 rounds.  Some makers were offering a kit to do so.  Private smiths can also do the work.  I know of no such exemption for the semi-auto plinkers.  If someone has better info, please correct me!

Dave's on point, period. For now, all bets off after 01/16/2018.  NJ tube can be made by using a copper pipe cutter and replacing the cutter with a washer and finding the sweet spot, read legal, on the tube and making an indent deep enough to stop more than 15 rounds from loading, but not too deep to restrict action of the spring or follower.

21 minutes ago, BenC said:

The problem is it is marked 22s, l, and lr. So I would have to find 15 22shorts to crimp to, is that correct?

I have never seen a .22 semi auto work with .22 shorts. Sure, you could chamber each round manually. I thought the magazine had to reliably feed the weapon. My best guess would be to restrict it from holding more than 15 rounds of .22lr and just forget about how many shorts fit since the rifle would most likely not function with shorts in the fist place.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I have never seen a .22 semi auto work with .22 shorts. Sure, you could chamber each round manually. I thought the magazine had to reliably feed the weapon. My best guess would be to restrict it from holding more than 15 rounds of .22lr and just forget about how many shorts fit since the rifle would most likely not function with shorts in the fist place.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

It's a nice thought... It can hold more than 15rds of ammunition, but if you have to manually cycle the action, I suppose it would not count as fed continuously... but it is a semi-automatic firearm. Sucks, it's a  Rossi 62 SA that was my grandfathers.... not worth anything but sentimental value. It is located out of state and bequeathed, but parent would not be comfortable making modifications and shipping I bet.

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, t
ube or other container which is capable of holding more
than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously a
nd directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm

2 hours ago, BenC said:

It's a nice thought... It can hold more than 15rds of ammunition, but if you have to manually cycle the action, I suppose it would not count as fed continuously... but it is a semi-automatic firearm. Sucks, it's a  Rossi 62 SA that was my grandfathers.... not worth anything but sentimental value. It is located out of state and bequeathed, but parent would not be comfortable making modifications and shipping I bet.

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, t
ube or other container which is capable of holding more
than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously a
nd directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm

You are correct.  You can shoot shorts in a LR but it wouldn't continuously feed the action.

• Like 2

This is the one point where legislation will be an issue with me...

I have a Marlin 60, which my father bought me for Christmas back when I was 8. It is legal, and one of those guns I will not get rid of. I also will not be crimping the tube or anything else. As said, this was a present from my father, so it will be passed to my children when they get to the age that they start shooting.

If legislation passes while I’m still here, I’ll box all magazines and guns included, and lock them up in a cheap safe at my godmother’s house in PA. Very easy thing to do... and when I make my final move, I’ll grab them as I leave.

If legislation passes while I’m at FLETC or before I get settled to move everything down, technically I have contraband in my home. I’m not going to be able to come back to NJ for a few months, so that kind of makes it hard for me to follow laws that I completely oppose. My solution will be lock everything questionable up in the one safe I only have access to, take both keys with me, and when I come back, make the move as quickly/easily as possible. I just don’t like the fact that one day, my property is legal, and the next, I’m a “criminal” due to some a**hole’s agenda.

I’d have to see how it goes, but at least I’d be exiting the state as Federal L/E.