Ray Ray

Load some magazines

The interview with the hero from Texas is very interesting.  There are a few take-aways from his actions of that day.

1.  Even if you don't use an AR for home/self defense, have some loaded magazines around just in case.  I'm not saying to have 100 like Clint Smith, but some would have been helpful.  The gentleman stated that he had to load a magazine while the devil was shooting.   Had he had a few ready to go he could have stopped him earlier, MAYBE.

2.  He aimed for the head and in between the body armor.  Interesting.  

3.  He checked his ammo count in the truck, 2 rounds LEFT!

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

The interview with the hero from Texas is very interesting.  There are a few take-aways from his actions of that day.

1.  Even if you don't use an AR for home/self defense, have some loaded magazines around just in case.  I'm not saying to have 100 like Clint Smith, but some would have been helpful.  The gentleman stated that he had to load a magazine while the devil was shooting.   Had he had a few ready to go he could have stopped him earlier, MAYBE.

Ray,

I always kept loaded mags but after watching the video about him having to load a mag. I checked my inventory only to find that I have been taking my loaded mags to the range to save time and I had a shit ton of empty mags in my range bags. I grabbed some ammo and topped the all off. They will all stay loaded from now on!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

i disagree with aiming for the head. respectfully of course. center mass of largest offered target. that's what i've always been taught.

48 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i disagree with aiming for the head. respectfully of course. center mass of largest offered target. that's what i've always been taught.

But the perp was wearing body armor so center mass doesn't get you much.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

Fair warning: what I know about self-defense with a gun could fit in a thimble! That said, when has that ever stopped any of us from chiming in on these forums? LOL.

I thought this good citizen only shot for the bad guy's head because he observed the shooter had a bullet-proof vest on...? So, my reaction was: "wow, he was remarkably clear-headed under extreme duress." I thought it was a smart decision.  

Edit: my post just crossed with NJGF's above - yeah, we're thinking alike! 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

If you had watched the interview, he noticed the devil was wearing all black SWAT gear with armor and a ballistic helmet.   So he shot in between the armor and at the head.

He had a fairly close encounter and is a marksman. I don't disagree with his choice considering the vest but he obviously failed with the head shot since the perp went for drive after the initial encounter. Thank God he did hit him albeit an inch or two lower. He is the textbook definition of a hero!

I could never have made that shot in that situation. My targets don't shoot back!

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I don't disagree with his choice considering the vest but he obviously failed with the head shot since the perp went for drive after the initial encounter. 

People get shot in the head and still do amazing things.   Adrenaline is amazing

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

If you had watched the interview, he noticed the devil was wearing all black SWAT gear with armor and a ballistic helmet.   So he shot in between the armor and at the head.

i did watch the video. i also noted he'd said he shot at where his head would be.

21 minutes ago, NJGF said:

But the perp was wearing body armor so center mass doesn't get you much.

it gets you his attention. it gets him to stop shooting innocents. it gets him to make a mistake. it's more than likely what caused the perp to make a mistake giving him a shot at his side.....which was bare of armor.

Don't know what type of body armor the shooter was wearing or if he was even using plates. However, center mass shots would have been fine. This is assuming that Stephen Wileford is using plain old 55 grain ammo and the shooter is wearing Level III vest. Of course everything is much easier to analyze after the incident had occurred.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Did the interview mention at what range Stephen engaged the guy?

I usually keep two mags loaded with TAP for HD, the rest just get loaded with FMJ of whatever brand I’m taking to the range next time. Ironically the FMJ may have been more useful in this case. 

3 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Did the interview mention at what range Stephen engaged the guy?

I usually keep two mags loaded with TAP for HD, the rest just get loaded with FMJ of whatever brand I’m taking to the range next time. Ironically the FMJ may have been more useful in this case. 

I believe the distance was around 25 yards.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

it gets you his attention. it gets him to stop shooting innocents. it gets him to make a mistake. it's more than likely what caused the perp to make a mistake giving him a shot at his side.....which was bare of armor.

I don't want his attention, I want him dead.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Ray,

I always kept loaded mags but after watching the video about him having to load a mag. I checked my inventory only to find that I have been taking my loaded mags to the range to save time and I had a shit ton of empty mags in my range bags. I grabbed some ammo and topped the all off. They will all stay loaded from now on!

I was told that having loaded mags was treated as having a loaded gun when transporting in NJ so it wasn’t legal to transport loaded mags to the range. Was I misinformed? Sometimes it’s tough to determine what is actually legal in NJ :(

I rotate a couple of loaded mags at home so as to not wear out the springs and to make sure I practice with all my mags to be sure they are working correctly but there are always a couple of them loaded along with a couple of revolver speed loaders ready depending on what’s at hand... 

-Jim

7 minutes ago, JimB1 said:

I was told that having loaded mags was treated as having a loaded gun when transporting in NJ so it wasn’t legal to transport loaded mags to the range. Was I misinformed? Sometimes it’s tough to determine what is actually legal in NJ :(

I rotate a couple of loaded mags at home so as to not wear out the springs and to make sure I practice with all my mags to be sure they are working correctly but there are always a couple of them loaded along with a couple of revolver speed loaders ready depending on what’s at hand... 

-Jim

Yes you were misinformed. 

Springs do not wear out from a mag being stored loaded. 

• Like 3

I was told that having loaded mags was treated as having a loaded gun when transporting in NJ so it wasn’t legal to transport loaded mags to the range. Was I misinformed? Sometimes it’s tough to determine what is actually legal in NJ [emoji20]
-Jim

Loaded mags are not loaded guns.
Springs wear out from usage, not constant compression.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, maintenanceguy said:

until the target starts shooting back.

I think he also said he took cover behind a car so only his head was exposed.

That said we don't know how we will react to incoming rounds until we have experienced it. And that is why we should train so we will be better prepared for it. Not only was he trained but he also trained his wife and kids which is pretty cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PK90 said:

Loaded mags are not loaded guns.
Springs wear out from usage, not constant compression.

Cool. I know logically loaded magazines are not loaded guns however N.J. also bans slingshots so logic has very little to do with law in this state. I suspect the person who told me is just following what he was told or is using an abundance of caution...

Thanks

-Jim

Buy 5 or 6 quality mags. Shoot with them to verify function and reliability. Once your satisfied they function in your rifle, load them up with your chosen SD/HD ammo and stuff them in a bandoleer, chest rig, bag, belt pouches, or whatever you want to carry them in - just make sure it something that you can fight from and that you can grab on the go. Keep them near your rifle.

(I keep 5 pinned GI mags loaded with Federal 64gr TRU SP in a Gray Ghost Gear bandloeer with my primary HD rifle)

Once a year, shoot the ammo in them and fill them back up with your chosen ammo.

These are social mags only. They aren’t for training, they aren’t for range days. They are for the worst day of your life. 

I consider the minor cost a worthy investment that I hope to never need.

• Like 8