So I am not a lawyer and the rest of this post is strictly my opinion which may be very wrong due to a lack of political experience. I grabbed a few cups of coffee and did a search of firearms bills that were particularly dangerous to the shooting community in the past several years. Here is my take on this. Please pour a stiff drink and take it for what it's worth coming from a green horn when it comes to politics and law.  This is simply how I see it.

I did a little lunch time work yesterday and cleaned it up last night. So if history is about to be made it’s going to be based on the following high impact list of bills that were tried over and over again but vetoed by Christie.  I’m sure you can expect all of them to come back around in full force.

A preview, the impacts range from having to have 5 references for a handgun purchase, 2 of which must be by a professional (your bosses), and one from a licensed health care provider in NJ, picture id’s on your FID and on all pistol permits, An all-out gun registration, micro-stamped parts on all handguns, an all-out ban on “traditional handguns” once smart gun technology becomes available for sale, The ability for everyone from a regular nurse to a “marriage counselor” being able to deem you unfit and therefore they take away your guns, 10 round magazines with 180 days to get rid of your higher capacity, unlawful to have a loaded gun or magazine in your home, A driver’s license FID endorsement which then would allow officers to have probable cause to search your vehicle if your stopped for a simple traffic violation,  to more taxes and so on.

Some of these bills have been sponsored in 2017, 206, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011. If you go searching for these bills on the NJ legislative site and come up with a different bill title for the same number you’re in the wrong year.

Happy reading, by the way there are a lot more bills but these are the ones that will sting the most and will shut down gun ownership in NJ. Some of the bills introduced in past years will make it easier but don’t count on them ever coming up again.

S804       Requires criminal history record background check for rifle and shotgun purchases.

Say goodbye to face to face transactions in NJ.

S816       Establishes commission to approve personaliized handguns; requires firearm retailers to sell personalized handguns.*

This one has a lot of bad history and may come back as a devistaing bill. The original bill introduced "BANS" the sale of traditional handguns when personalized handguns become readily avilable. In Christie's veto statement he specifically called out this provision and chastized the Dem's for even trying that. It was removed in a vain attempt to get Christie to sign the bill which now requires a retailer to carry for sale a selection of personalized handguns on their premisis. The fear here is now the restraints are gone and you can expect an amendment to this bill which again moves to make all traditional handguns illegal to sell once smart guns become readily available, an open statement.

S2417    Requires newly manufactured handguns to be micro-stamped; establishes handgun database.

Yes, this is handgun registration. You will be required to register all of your firearms in the state. Two big problems. First any dealer that sells or transfer's a firearm that is not microstamped is subject to a $10,000 fine and/or up to 18 months in  prison. Secondly it directs all retail firearms dealers to report handgun sales to the State Police (which I thought we already did by way of the permit).  This puts all the FFL's out of business. Who is going to subject themselves to potential fines and jail while transfering a gun unless there is a way to be sure the gun is "micro-stamped".

S3477    Establishes criminal penalties for sale and possession of certain firearm components.

This one is not even available for review yet but word has it that it expands the 80% lower ban and includes any component that could be put on a firearm that would make it illegal (Adjustable Stock? etc)

SCR117 Prohibits adoption of State Police proposed rule expanding justifiable need standard for issuing handgun carry permits.

So in March 2016 The State Police attempted a rule change to allow the expansion of the justifiable need. Wouldn't have done much good, it was a minor expansion but bravo for them trying.

This senate resolution by our wonderful D.Weinberg killed that attempt.

A350      Disqualifies person named on federal Terrorist Watchlist from obtaining Firearms identification card or permit to purchase handgun.

Last Session Bill Number: A253 

Last Session Bill Number: A4680   S3062

Hopefully should not have any affect on legal gun owners in this state.

A608      Requires successful completion of Firearms education program to obtain initial Firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase a handgun.

Last Session Bill Number: A3764   S2355

Last Session Bill Number: A4859 

Impact: On all individuals applying for an initial firearms purchaser identification card or permit to purchase a handgun.

A1211    Revises certain laws concerning domestic violence and Firearms.

Identical Bill Number: S805  

Last Session Bill Number: A4218   (2R) S2786 (1R)

Last Session Bill Number: A3697   S529

Impact: Chages make it easier to presume guilty and confiscate firearms and ID's.

A2938    Requires Firearms seizure when mental health professional determines patient poses threat of harm to self or others.

Identical Bill Number: S2615  

Last Session Bill Number: A674 

Impact: This one is particularly dangerous. First of all it allows for "Any person who is licensed in the State of New Jersey to practice psychology, psychiatry, medicine, nursing, clinical social work, or marriage counseling" to be able to act under this bill. Think about it, marriage counsler among others? Read this one, it's scary.

A3327    Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds; exempts Firearms with .22 caliber tubular magazines from 10 round limitation.

Identical Bill Number: S818  

Last Session Bill Number: A2006   (1R) S993 (1R)

Impact: Nothing to be said here, Anything for any reason over 10 rounds (LEO exempt) will be illegal and you have 180 days to get rid of 15 round magazines.

A4071    Requires color photo on Firearms identification cards, permits to purchase handgun, and permits to carry handgun.

Identical Bill Number: S2496  

This one is a royal pain in the ass. Not only on the FID card but also on each purchase permit for a handgun. REGARDLESS of the fact that you must provide a valid government photo id anyway for purchase. How many pictures of a person do you need Mr. Singleton to be sure your looking at the right guy.

A4179    Requires Firearms purchaser identification card, permit to purchase handgun, or permit to carry handgun for temporary transfer of firearm at firing range.

Identical Bill Number: S2666

That's right, carry your FID card and make sure you don't let anyone without one try out your gun. This law is unlikely to mean anything because LEO generally isn't policing ranges, or are they?

A4180    Requires Firearms purchaser identification card, permit to purchase handgun, or permit to carry handgun for use of firearm at firing range.

Identical Bill Number: S2667  

Same comment as above.

A4791    Establishes crime of purchasing components to unlawfully manufacture untraceable Firearms.

Better get rid of your 80% lowers.

A4913    Increases fee for Firearms purchaser identification card; requires color photo on Firearms purchaser identification cards, permits to purchase handgun, and permits to carry handgun.

Identical Bill Number: S3124  

Can't require a picture on your FID without charging you more. You will probably be required to go to CVS and buy passport photos anyway.  $5 -> $30

A673      Requires Firearms to be unloaded and securely locked or stored within home.

Last Session Bill Number: A3752

Oh wait a minute Mr. Home Invader. First I have to unlock my gun, then load it. "Freeze Please". And tell me, under who's authority are you entering my house to see if my gun is loaded?

A851      Requires Firearms endorsement on driver's license or non-driver identification card.

Last Session Bill Number: A4001 

This one is a bear trap. As the law exists now if you are stopped with firearms you are NOT required to produce any documentation that you have a FID or permit to purchase that firearm.

That's the law. The firearm serial number may be run by the LEO to determine if it is lost, stolen or used in a crime but that's all. Under the provisions of this law you would be required

to produce your driver's license as you normally would be thus alerting the LEO that you may be carrying firearms, probable cause to search to make sure you are transporting in accordance

with the law. This one has all kinds of implications.

A3707    Establishes a ballistics identifier program for certain Firearms.

This one is just plain nuts. No gun can be sold without a "Ballistics identifier" which means an electronic or digitized image of a bullet and shell casing fired by the handgun or rifle

that clearly shows the firiing pin, ejection, extraction and land marks for the particular gun. If the manufacturer does not provide certification then the sell has the responsibility to

provide the state police with the fiream for ballistics identifier.

A3727    Imposes additional five percent tax on sale of Firearms and ammunition to fund safety infrastructure improvements in public buildings.

Self explinatory, another tax to line the politicians pockets.

A3753    Increases references required for application for handgun permit and Firearms identification card from two to five.

Nuts again, check this one out. Here is the noteworthy language: The application shall be signed by the applicant and shall contain the names and addresses of five references, two of which shall be character references from reputable citizens personally acquainted with the applicant, two of which shall be professional references, and one of which shall be from a medical professional licensed in this State.  That's right you need your boss, his boss, and a doctor to give you references. Ultimate gun control by deception.

A3815    Establishes enhanced penalties for persons who illegally sell or transfer Firearms that are subsequently used in a crime.

Try to buy a gun from a dealer now if they are not a certified mind reader.

A3884    Imposes gross receipts tax on retail sales of Firearms ammunition and use tax on use of certain Firearms ammunition; establishes "Gun Buyback Fund."

Yes another bill to impose another tax.

S2630    Reduces the maximum lawful capacity of ammunition magazines; prohibits possession of certain Firearms having a caliber of 50 or greater.

This one much like the assembly bill seeks to limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds but also bans 50 caliber (exceptions for muzzle etc). Hey but don't worry, they want to put funding in place

to buy back your firearms. I wonder what the state's going rate is right now for a Barrett 50 cal?

• Like 2

So I am not a lawyer and the rest of this post is strictly my opinion which may be very wrong due to a lack of political experience. I grabbed a few cups of coffee and did a search of firearms bills that were particularly dangerous to the shooting community in the past several years. Here is my take on this. Please pour a stiff drink and take it for what it's worth coming from a green horn when it comes to politics and law.  This is simply how I see it.
I did a little lunch time work yesterday and cleaned it up last night. So if history is about to be made it’s going to be based on the following high impact list of bills that were tried over and over again but vetoed by Christie.  I’m sure you can expect all of them to come back around in full force.
A preview, the impacts range from having to have 5 references for a handgun purchase, 2 of which must be by a professional (your bosses), and one from a licensed health care provider in NJ, picture id’s on your FID and on all pistol permits, An all-out gun registration, micro-stamped parts on all handguns, an all-out ban on “traditional handguns” once smart gun technology becomes available for sale, The ability for everyone from a regular nurse to a “marriage counselor” being able to deem you unfit and therefore they take away your guns, 10 round magazines with 180 days to get rid of your higher capacity, unlawful to have a loaded gun or magazine in your home, A driver’s license FID endorsement which then would allow officers to have probable cause to search your vehicle if your stopped for a simple traffic violation,  to more taxes and so on.
Some of these bills have been sponsored in 2017, 206, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011. If you go searching for these bills on the NJ legislative site and come up with a different bill title for the same number you’re in the wrong year.
Happy reading, by the way there are a lot more bills but these are the ones that will sting the most and will shut down gun ownership in NJ. Some of the bills introduced in past years will make it easier but don’t count on them ever coming up again.
S804       Requires criminal history record background check for rifle and shotgun purchases.
Say goodbye to face to face transactions in NJ.
S816       Establishes commission to approve personaliized handguns; requires firearm retailers to sell personalized handguns.*
This one has a lot of bad history and may come back as a devistaing bill. The original bill introduced "BANS" the sale of traditional handguns when personalized handguns become readily avilable. In Christie's veto statement he specifically called out this provision and chastized the Dem's for even trying that. It was removed in a vain attempt to get Christie to sign the bill which now requires a retailer to carry for sale a selection of personalized handguns on their premisis. The fear here is now the restraints are gone and you can expect an amendment to this bill which again moves to make all traditional handguns illegal to sell once smart guns become readily available, an open statement.
S2417    Requires newly manufactured handguns to be micro-stamped; establishes handgun database.
Yes, this is handgun registration. You will be required to register all of your firearms in the state. Two big problems. First any dealer that sells or transfer's a firearm that is not microstamped is subject to a $10,000 fine and/or up to 18 months in  prison. Secondly it directs all retail firearms dealers to report handgun sales to the State Police (which I thought we already did by way of the permit).  This puts all the FFL's out of business. Who is going to subject themselves to potential fines and jail while transfering a gun unless there is a way to be sure the gun is "micro-stamped".
S3477    Establishes criminal penalties for sale and possession of certain firearm components.
This one is not even available for review yet but word has it that it expands the 80% lower ban and includes any component that could be put on a firearm that would make it illegal (Adjustable Stock? etc)
SCR117 Prohibits adoption of State Police proposed rule expanding justifiable need standard for issuing handgun carry permits.
So in March 2016 The State Police attempted a rule change to allow the expansion of the justifiable need. Wouldn't have done much good, it was a minor expansion but bravo for them trying.
This senate resolution by our wonderful D.Weinberg killed that attempt.
A350      Disqualifies person named on federal Terrorist Watchlist from obtaining Firearms identification card or permit to purchase handgun.
Last Session Bill Number: A253 
Last Session Bill Number: A4680   S3062
Hopefully should not have any affect on legal gun owners in this state.
A608      Requires successful completion of Firearms education program to obtain initial Firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase a handgun.
Last Session Bill Number: A3764   S2355
Last Session Bill Number: A4859 
Impact: On all individuals applying for an initial firearms purchaser identification card or permit to purchase a handgun.
A1211    Revises certain laws concerning domestic violence and Firearms.
Identical Bill Number: S805  
Last Session Bill Number: A4218   (2R) S2786 (1R)
Last Session Bill Number: A3697   S529
Impact: Chages make it easier to presume guilty and confiscate firearms and ID's.
A2938    Requires Firearms seizure when mental health professional determines patient poses threat of harm to self or others.
Identical Bill Number: S2615  
Last Session Bill Number: A674 
Impact: This one is particularly dangerous. First of all it allows for "Any person who is licensed in the State of New Jersey to practice psychology, psychiatry, medicine, nursing, clinical social work, or marriage counseling" to be able to act under this bill. Think about it, marriage counsler among others? Read this one, it's scary.
A3327    Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds; exempts Firearms with .22 caliber tubular magazines from 10 round limitation.
Identical Bill Number: S818  
Last Session Bill Number: A2006   (1R) S993 (1R)
Impact: Nothing to be said here, Anything for any reason over 10 rounds (LEO exempt) will be illegal and you have 180 days to get rid of 15 round magazines.
A4071    Requires color photo on Firearms identification cards, permits to purchase handgun, and permits to carry handgun.
Identical Bill Number: S2496  
This one is a royal pain in the ass. Not only on the FID card but also on each purchase permit for a handgun. REGARDLESS of the fact that you must provide a valid government photo id anyway for purchase. How many pictures of a person do you need Mr. Singleton to be sure your looking at the right guy.
 A4179    Requires Firearms purchaser identification card, permit to purchase handgun, or permit to carry handgun for temporary transfer of firearm at firing range.
Identical Bill Number: S2666
That's right, carry your FID card and make sure you don't let anyone without one try out your gun. This law is unlikely to mean anything because LEO generally isn't policing ranges, or are they?
 A4180    Requires Firearms purchaser identification card, permit to purchase handgun, or permit to carry handgun for use of firearm at firing range.
Identical Bill Number: S2667  
Same comment as above.
A4791    Establishes crime of purchasing components to unlawfully manufacture untraceable Firearms.
Better get rid of your 80% lowers.
A4913    Increases fee for Firearms purchaser identification card; requires color photo on Firearms purchaser identification cards, permits to purchase handgun, and permits to carry handgun.
Identical Bill Number: S3124  
Can't require a picture on your FID without charging you more. You will probably be required to go to CVS and buy passport photos anyway.  $5 -> $30
A673      Requires Firearms to be unloaded and securely locked or stored within home.
Last Session Bill Number: A3752
Oh wait a minute Mr. Home Invader. First I have to unlock my gun, then load it. "Freeze Please". And tell me, under who's authority are you entering my house to see if my gun is loaded?
A851      Requires Firearms endorsement on driver's license or non-driver identification card.
Last Session Bill Number: A4001 
This one is a bear trap. As the law exists now if you are stopped with firearms you are NOT required to produce any documentation that you have a FID or permit to purchase that firearm.
That's the law. The firearm serial number may be run by the LEO to determine if it is lost, stolen or used in a crime but that's all. Under the provisions of this law you would be required
to produce your driver's license as you normally would be thus alerting the LEO that you may be carrying firearms, probable cause to search to make sure you are transporting in accordance
with the law. This one has all kinds of implications.
A3707    Establishes a ballistics identifier program for certain Firearms.
This one is just plain nuts. No gun can be sold without a "Ballistics identifier" which means an electronic or digitized image of a bullet and shell casing fired by the handgun or rifle
that clearly shows the firiing pin, ejection, extraction and land marks for the particular gun. If the manufacturer does not provide certification then the sell has the responsibility to
provide the state police with the fiream for ballistics identifier.
A3727    Imposes additional five percent tax on sale of Firearms and ammunition to fund safety infrastructure improvements in public buildings.
Self explinatory, another tax to line the politicians pockets.
A3753    Increases references required for application for handgun permit and Firearms identification card from two to five.
Nuts again, check this one out. Here is the noteworthy language: The application shall be signed by the applicant and shall contain the names and addresses of five references, two of which shall be character references from reputable citizens personally acquainted with the applicant, two of which shall be professional references, and one of which shall be from a medical professional licensed in this State.  That's right you need your boss, his boss, and a doctor to give you references. Ultimate gun control by deception.
A3815    Establishes enhanced penalties for persons who illegally sell or transfer Firearms that are subsequently used in a crime.
Try to buy a gun from a dealer now if they are not a certified mind reader.
A3884    Imposes gross receipts tax on retail sales of Firearms ammunition and use tax on use of certain Firearms ammunition; establishes "Gun Buyback Fund."
Yes another bill to impose another tax.
S2630    Reduces the maximum lawful capacity of ammunition magazines; prohibits possession of certain Firearms having a caliber of 50 or greater.
This one much like the assembly bill seeks to limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds but also bans 50 caliber (exceptions for muzzle etc). Hey but don't worry, they want to put funding in place
to buy back your firearms. I wonder what the state's going rate is right now for a Barrett 50 cal?

Less than a single round for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, 67gtonut said:

I refuse to have the Sky IS Falling attitude......   A lot of those bills will never see the light of day....

2 things will come down....

10rd magazines

and some severe restriction or even elimination of AR platform 

Ahh.....Finally, common sense may prevail after all!

• Like 1

I don't think NJ has any use for common sense. They are obviously going to target us and this has nothing to do with stopping crime. It is all politics and the fear that people have. It will all make sense to the general uneducated population. His agenda includes things like sanctuary state status which will have an impact on crime. It is going to be a long cold 4 years.

Lots of this will effectively make criminals out of those that don't comply.

We already effectively have handgun registration in NJ for newly acquired guns .The state police has all the info they need. The scary question is he so crazy that he will try to confiscate guns from people in their houses. So far I don't believe any state has tried this (correct me if I am wrong). For example in Connecticut there was extremely low compliance with their "assault weapon" ban. I had read the registrations came mainly from law enforcement (which I understand as their jobs are at stake). Otherwise the governor there declared they were not going to go house to house to seize the now illegal weapons.

My real hope (I know that hope is not a strategy) is that they go so far that finally we get a case going to SCOTUS (similar to the MA case on stun guns) that even SCOTUS can overturn and possibly strike a lot of our gun laws. The Trump judges in the 3rd circuit will help.

My real plan is winning the lottery and getting out of Dodge. One can hope anyway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nuclearheli said:

Thought so too but I couldnt find a bill addressing ammo purchases for the past 5 years.

Oh ... sorry to help - A3645 of 2013:

https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/A3645/2012

"This bill would require that all ammunition sales and transfers be consummated as face-to-face transactions.

Face-to-face transactions are defined in the bill as sales or transfers in which the purchaser, transferee, or assignee is in the physical presence of the seller, transferor, or assigner.

This face-to-face requirement would make mail order, Internet, telephone, and any other anonymous method of ammunition sale or transfer illegal in New Jersey.  Under the bill, a violator would be guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.  A crime of the fourth degree is punishable by imprisonment for a term of up to 18 months, a fine of up to $10,000, or both.

Law enforcement agencies and officials are exempted from the provisions of the bill, as are collectors when purchasing, acquiring, or transferring ammunition which is recognized as being historical in nature or of historical significance."

Of course .223 and 5.56 may become "historical" if you know what I mean ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

The crazier this gets the more likely it won’t hold up in court.  

Quite possibly true, but there's nothing to keep them from passing loads of bills, then leaving it to us to take years sorting it out in the courts.  And BTW, the Jersey courts are packed with liberal judges, who have never been friendly to the Second Amendment.  

Its kind of funny that face to face sales of ammo are probably more anonymous than other methods. You can pay cash and be gone. In an internet sale you give a credit card so they can trace it back to you.

Unfortunately it will drive up the costs which is another of their objectives.

Stock up now when it is on sale.

8 minutes ago, NJGF said:

Its kind of funny that face to face sales of ammo are probably more anonymous than other methods. You can pay cash and be gone. In an internet sale you give a credit card so they can trace it back to you.

Unfortunately it will drive up the costs which is another of their objectives.

Stock up now when it is on sale.

Tracing an internet sale is work for them, heaven forbid, right?  Also face to face generates sales tax.

I myself am careful what I reveal on a public forum, but with regards to the election, I will say that I have been hoping for the best while also preparing for the worst, for quite some time.  

Which reminds me, I think I have a fedex shipment coming today.  (:-))

19 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Quite possibly true, but there's nothing to keep them from passing loads of bills, then leaving it to us to take years sorting it out in the courts.  And BTW, the Jersey courts are packed with liberal judges, who have never been friendly to the Second Amendment.  

This is the truth. They can and will pass anything they want whenever they want, there at no checks and balances at this point in the process.  And it takes years to fight it.

I am a realist when it comes to the courts or Federal government stepping in to strike down or pre-empt gun laws.  As others have mentioned, at best its a long process.  That said, there are two bills mentioned above that I don't think we need to worry about:  1) no loaded gun in the home -- that is a direct violation of the holding in Heller and I don't think they will try it and it would certainly be struck down even by the most liberal of judges; 2) Weinberg's smart gun mandate -- she has gotten a lot of flack including in the liberal media bc that bill chilled the marketing and sale of smart guns nation wide.  I don't think she will re-introduce it.

What I expect, with certainty, in short order:  10 rd mag limit (possibly less, but probably 10 bc that is what already proposed and allows Weinberg et al to appera reasonable) with no grandfathering passing in the next year is a 100% certainty in my book; training requirement for gun purchases; terror watch list and domestic violence related gun bill; .50 cal ban; no private sales, including long guns without NICS check; roll-back of Christie minor expansion of permit to possess (carry) standard; 

Very possibly coming down the pike in the next few years, maybe sooner: further limitations under state AWB; prohibition on internet ammo sales; gun and ammo tax

Just my .02

10 round limit is probably at the top of the list -- just think of the lives that will be saved! :banghead:

There was talk earlier on limiting the "stockpiling" of ammo at home - anything on that?

I'll be out of this god-forsaken blue state in a couple of years. Anything turned illegal overnight will be moved out of state ahead of me. 

In my opinion it is not a sky is falling attitude. I expect even here many will be shocked at what gets proposed and passed. I have said for many years, the ONLY thing nj will recognize is being forced to comply federally, and even that will be a battle stuck in many years of court cases. Again, in my opinion, that is the only hope for this state. The election is clear evidence of that.

personally, I want them to pass and sign them all. EVERY. LAST. ONE.  in fact come up with as many more draconian laws they can and pass them too.  if they pile enough shit on the heap, then SCOTUS will have no choice but to slap the shit out of them, which if done properly will be a net win for us.

regardless, I will not comply.

• Like 1