1LtCAP

looking for new tv

23 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i get that, but the paranoid side of me doesn't want a tv that could conceivably listen in on conversations. it's bad enough that the crapcast x1 box probably does....don't need the tv doing ti too

Just don’t plug it in or join your network. 

More if your brave, Open it up and remove the Wi-Fi module. 

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Face it my friend! There is no hiding from Big Brother! From your TV , thermostat, cell phone, even your vacuum cleaner.....They are all watching you every minute! There is no hiding!:girl_devil:

ha!! my thermostat is a basic old battery operated non-networked push button. untill a few years ago, still had an old school dial. with mercury in it. :)  and now ya went and did it. gonna take my vacuum to the range and kill it. bbaahahaahahaha.

10 minutes ago, tony357 said:

I was trying to figure out what you were having for dinner the other night by listening to what utensils you were using and how you were chewing..:p

lololololol

• Like 2

Everyone seems to want smart TVs these days. I don't particularly want the TV to be smart, since I have computers, xbox, cable, and bluray hooked to the tv (and/or receiver to tv), and the nest of wires (and pile of remotes) for everything doesnt bother me.

I will say certain HDMI versions support ethernet over HDMI, so if there is anything networked hooked via HDMI, I suppose it is possible for the signal to get out to the net, but unlikely.

I thought it was strange to have an end user license when I got my new tv...nothing about a mic or recording in there though.

I would bite the bullet, and just make sure you go through the settings to disable features you dont want.

18 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Everyone seems to want smart TVs these days. I don't particularly want the TV to be smart, since I have computers, xbox, cable, and bluray hooked to the tv (and/or receiver to tv), and the nest of wires (and pile of remotes) for everything doesnt bother me.

I will say certain HDMI versions support ethernet over HDMI, so if there is anything networked hooked via HDMI, I suppose it is possible for the signal to get out to the net, but unlikely.

I thought it was strange to have an end user license when I got my new tv...nothing about a mic or recording in there though.

I would bite the bullet, and just make sure you go through the settings to disable features you dont want.

yea. i don't get the whole smart tv thing. i guess that on average, people are stupid and their money is easily separated from them for the "next best thing", even if it's not really any better than what they already have.

me? i admittedly spend more time than i should watching the tube. i don't see me changing that habit any time soon...so i just want a stupidly big(for the room it's gonna be in) tv is all.

You'd be had pressed to find a "good" TV that isn't Smart/WiFi capable. You can either not join it to your home network, or block it from joining on your router. Better yet, go into advanced network settings on the TV and disable "auto" for IP address discovery and give it a made-up address such as 1.1.1.1.

25 minutes ago, AlDente67 said:

Every cell phone sold since years ago already has a listen function mandated by NSA.  Even when powered down.  If they want to, they can monitor you unless the phone is on the other side of the house.

or in a static bag.

I got a smart TV a year or so ago for the finished basement (60" LG) because my wife gets them for a VERY reasonable price from work.  I thought I wouldn't use any of the features, but found myself using them more and more.  I am trying to cut the cord and all the apps (Youtube, Hulu, Twitch, AmazonVideo, Netflix) that are available on the TV make it easy.  I don't have to worry about using 3rd party hardware (Chromecast and Fire stick) not booting or not working right.  Plus I can connect the TV with a physical ethernet cable, so the speeds are great.

The TV I have does not have a mic or camera so I don't have to worry about that.

Non-smart you're gonna pay out the A$$ for... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sunbritetv-veranda-series-65-class-65-diag--led-outdoor-full-shade-2160p-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5624057.p?skuId=5624057

Just get a smart TV and don't connect it to any wifi.  There's ways to turn off the "snooping" features.

https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-to-turn-off-smart-tv-snooping-features/

On 11/12/2017 at 10:57 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i get that, but the paranoid side of me doesn't want a tv that could conceivably listen in on conversations. it's bad enough that the crapcast x1 box probably does....don't need the tv doing ti too

ih06er.jpg

• Like 4

Above was mentioned Ethernet over HDMI.   Does anybody know how to get HD over Ethernet?   And I don’t mean streaming channels.  I mean:   Cable box is in one room.  That room has a cat 5 wire to other room.  I want to get the cable TV to broadcast HD to a tv in the next room via the CAt 5.

so again.  Not Internet to the TV,  but the cable signal from the box to travel over a CAT5 into the other TV which is a smart TV

On 11/14/2017 at 10:53 PM, Barms said:

Above was mentioned Ethernet over HDMI.   Does anybody know how to get HD over Ethernet?   And I don’t mean streaming channels.  I mean:   Cable box is in one room.  That room has a cat 5 wire to other room.  I want to get the cable TV to broadcast HD to a tv in the next room via the CAt 5.

so again.  Not Internet to the TV,  but the cable signal from the box to travel over a CAT5 into the other TV which is a smart TV

The only way you can do that is to stream it using something like a slingbox.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:53 PM, Barms said:

Just need a converter/extender:

https://smile.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Single-Certified/dp/B00G5RBX2Q

Needs to be CAT5e or CAT6 though

Just need a converter/extender:

https://smile.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Single-Certified/dp/B00G5RBX2Q

Needs to be CAT5e or CAT6 though

I read post wrong. That will absolutely work. Actually used it in a friend's theater build to run HDMI over Cat6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, capt14k said:

I read post wrong. That will absolutely work. Actually used it in a friend's theater build to run HDMI over Cat6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be aware that some of these media extenders do not use pure network protocols so you can’t plug them into an existing home network/wiring (not that you’d want to).  Usually they’re a variant of HDBaseT which uses Ethernet but not the rest of the standard protocol stack. You’re best running dedicated Cat5e. 

Be aware that some of these media extenders do not use pure network protocols so you can’t plug them into an existing home network/wiring (not that you’d want to).  Usually they’re a variant of HDBaseT which uses Ethernet but not the rest of the standard protocol stack. You’re best running dedicated Cat5e. 
It was actually Cat6e which would be fine no?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, capt14k said:

It was actually Cat6e which would be fine no?

Cat5 vs Cat6 is just the physical cable. One uses 5 of the twisted pair within the cable, the other uses all 6. While your home network needs to support the same physical cable, there are other logical layers that also have to align. 

Cat5 vs Cat6 is just the physical cable. One uses 5 of the twisted pair within the cable, the other uses all 6. While your home network needs to support the same physical cable, there are other logical layers that also have to align. 
I understand what you are saying, but there is a difference between the enhanced and the standard for both

48 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I understand what you are saying, but there is a difference between the enhanced and the standard for both

True. But they’re still just the physical layer (electrical/cable). 

My original point is that most media extenders don’t use the same logical protocols, even if they support the same cables.