diamondd817

Daniel Defense Opinions

I have purchased their barrels and M16 full bolt carrier groups for use in my AR15 builds with no issues. I like their barrels because they are chrome lined and are CHF. Their customer service is great. They sent me the entire screw set for a handguard that was missing one free of charge within a week. The quality and finish of their products seem to be top notch IMO.

Regards,

TokenEntry

4 hours ago, Zeke said:

Why? For pre compliance uppers?

3 hours ago, TokenEntry said:

I believe Daniel Defense lower receivers can only be had by purchasing it as a complete rifle.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Because I can build it as I want it from BCM.

On 11/15/2017 at 8:11 AM, High Exposure said:

Yes, they are expensive but you get what you pay for and they are worth every penny.

They produce quality rifles with a stand-up company supporting them. Buy with confidence.

while I totally agree with you.. you can build a really good AR for a mid priced DD gun... I have the same questions as others.. what is the up side to buying a prebuilt $3k AR.. when you could piece together an absurdly high quality for the same cost.. 

Was looking at DD rifles for my Dad. So I contacted The Heritage Guild in Pennsylvania and asked what if I want to order a DD rifle but live in NJ? They said it is easy. They order the rifle and their gunsmith onsite pins the stock and welds the muzzle. They will even fit the stock first before they pin it. I have heard they are mechanically flawless. Never saw, fired or touched one......yet.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:21 AM, vladtepes said:

while I totally agree with you.. you can build a really good AR for a mid priced DD gun... I have the same questions as others.. what is the up side to buying a prebuilt $3k AR.. when you could piece together an absurdly high quality for the same cost.. 

Because not everybody has the time, motivation, or capability to do the research and build their own gun. If you buy a complete rifle from Daniel Defense, you get not only a damn good rifle, but the peace of mind that a reputable company will resolve any issues you (will most likely not) have. Also, not everyone has the desire to pick EVERY component on their rifle. For these people, buying a complete rifle is the right answer...and if they want a top notch rifle, Daniel Defense is a viable company.

Now, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. I have two AR's. Both of them I bought a complete upper and built the lower. Not as intensive as building the whole thing, but still. I have two stripped lowers sitting in my safe, waiting to be built when I get back to the states. But if something went wrong, I'd feel pretty confident working on either gun myself. I'm mechanically inclined though, I turn wrenches and take shit apart and put it back together for a living. Not everyone does, so building a rifle is not for everyone.

• Like 1

Bravo Company rifles are very well made and use their own gear and are priced right. Can't say BCM is better than DD or the opposite, but I have heard both companies are solid, have good customer service and of course both make awesome products. Checking out a recce now from BCM. Also looked at DD rifles but got caught up in all the different models. I would imagine either brand is a good choice. I know DD makes very good mounts. :)

On 12/30/2017 at 2:35 AM, vjf915 said:

Because not everybody has the time, motivation, or capability to do the research and build their own gun. If you buy a complete rifle from Daniel Defense, you get not only a damn good rifle, but the peace of mind that a reputable company will resolve any issues you (will most likely not) have. Also, not everyone has the desire to pick EVERY component on their rifle. For these people, buying a complete rifle is the right answer...and if they want a top notch rifle, Daniel Defense is a viable company.

Now, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. I have two AR's. Both of them I bought a complete upper and built the lower. Not as intensive as building the whole thing, but still. I have two stripped lowers sitting in my safe, waiting to be built when I get back to the states. But if something went wrong, I'd feel pretty confident working on either gun myself. I'm mechanically inclined though, I turn wrenches and take shit apart and put it back together for a living. Not everyone does, so building a rifle is not for everyone.

It’s the maze of choice. What is good and what is not good. Learning the names of “ good” is key

On 11/17/2017 at 8:21 PM, vladtepes said:

there is none really

I own a DDM4 and can tell you  other than a Noveske, it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Pinto in terms of shooting 

I had many AR's and they are heads and shoulders better. In todays market, when there are >$500 rifles out there I would probably not spend 3-5 times the money for one. The gap at the time I bought mine was about $400 and I chose quality.

My optics were about the same cost as the rifle and I would recommend if you buy a low cost rifle do NOT skimp on your optics.

My choice:

Trijicon AccuPoint®

1-6x24 AMBER Triangle Reticle

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR25-C-200090

MY $0.02. They continue to sell at premium prices in a down market without people bitching about them. SO they must be doing something right. 

That being said, what they ahve going for them if that is the case is quality control and customer service. The odds of the latter taking a shit because you had to perform compliance work is non-zero, and they don't appear to offer NJ firendly configs anymore. Given that their parts aren't anything exceptional, I'd avoid sinking a lot of money into them and go with a decent maker who does offer compliant SKUs. Because the value in a pre-built is making avoiding and remedying problems THEIR concern, not yours. 

I would go with a Colt LE6920 ($900-1200) and make upgrades as you see fit, or a LWRC-IC-DI ($14-1600). Both solid options, the LWRC-DI was named rifle of the year last year and you get a lot of rifle for your money. I recently sold my LE6920 to get the piston IC-SPR from LWRC, oddly so far I shot better with the Colt than I have been with the LWRC, but I need to spend some quality time with my new rifle and get used to it other than spending an hour at an indoor range and being limited by time.

I'm pretty sure some Youtube celebrity in the gun community endorsed Daniel Defense and now everyone is all giddy over that rifle, but I never heard much about them until the past year. $2200 is a lot for a direct impingement rifle. I do wish I kept my colt, that was a pretty awesome rifle for the money.