AlDente67

Moonshiners

I like this show quite a bit.  Not sure why, but a couple of questions always pop into my head...

1.  Most of the shiners do their work in public forests, with the constant risk of being found by the law, hunters, or anyone going for a hike.  This forces them to abandon ship right away in many cases, leaving expensive equipment and supplies behind, not to mention the time and effort setting it all up gone to waste.  Why not stick to a barn on private property?  I get that they don't want to get raided in their own house, but surely there are plenty of possible locations in the region where one can buy a private plot of land that nobody is going to wander through?

2. Most of the product is pretty expensive at wholesale, especially anything flavored.  I've never tasted real moonshine, so I don't understand the allure when I can just drop in to Acme Liquors and pick out any of a thousand varieties of the legal stuff for far less than a jar of shine, not to mention the guaranteed quality control (the guys on the show would never sell rotgut, but there are many out there in the woods who might not be so concerned with quality).

Thoughts?

I would suggest these answers. 

1) making moonshine is not illegal with the proper paperwork. About the time this show showed up is when getting all the right permissions got simpler and cheaper. 

2) It's "reality" tv.  I would suggest that there is nothing illegal going on and it's all put on for show. Can you tell a wooded corner of a private parcel from a state forest, or are you relying on the show's producers to be honest? Is that shine in the still, or water? 

3) There is no "wholesale" for illegal products. Whatever price they put up is likely to be as valid as anything in any of the other fake shows with the reality label on them. The arbitrary prices they pick may be chosen to not undercut any of the legal and licensed moonshine products out there. Those are pricey because a) it's a fad, and b) the changes mentioned in 1 above to make it easier to do legally limit volume of production for the easy path to legality. 

Have you noticed, though, that the local LE authorities no longer participate in the show? During the first season, the Virginia ABC was directly involved. In subsequent seasons, the Sheriff from Graham County, NC was directly featured on the show.  Now, none of them are involved, and the only LE we see is if they get stopped by a local LE for a traffic violation or something.

I'm wondering which side decided to withdraw LE's presence on the show - either LE itself, or the producers.... This leads me to believe that it's possible that the show is "scripted..." (i.e. they aren't really producing shine but are only going through the motions for the TV show). This, to avoid any *real* legal issues...

:popcorn:

12 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Have you noticed, though, that the local LE authorities no longer participate in the show? During the first season, the Virginia ABC was directly involved. In subsequent seasons, the Sheriff from Graham County, NC was directly featured on the show.  Now, none of them are involved, and the only LE we see is if they get stopped by a local LE for a traffic violation or something.

I'm wondering which side decided to withdraw LE's presence on the show - either LE itself, or the producers.... This leads me to believe that it's possible that the show is "scripted..." (i.e. they aren't really producing shine but are only going through the motions for the TV show). This, to avoid any *real* legal issues...

:popcorn:

No doubt the show is scripted.

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Ray said:

None of these "reality shows" are legit.   All scripted, all staged, all casted.   Pass

If the show wasn't  scripted and staged the entire filming crew could be charged with Misprision of a Felony, 18USC4.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Can you share the mash recipie?

The flavoring is added after the liquor is distilled. Its got very little to nothing to do with the mash. Even liquor made from apples dosent really taiste like apple. Apple cider and cinnamon sticks are usually the main ingredients for apple pie shine. If no flavoring then they add water to bring it down to 100 proof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

The flavoring is added after the liquor is distilled. Its got very little to nothing to do with the mash. Even liquor made from apples dosent really taiste like apple. Apple cider and cinnamon sticks are usually the main ingredients for apple pie shine. If no flavoring then they add water to bring it down to 100 proof. 

Interesting. You see them making mash with different fruit as their fermentables. I assumed it would affect the taste but I have never distilled anything before. i know about the proofing down to make it drinkable. I make damn good beer and I am intrigued with the process of making corn whiskey.

• Like 1

None of these "reality shows" are legit.   All scripted, all staged, all casted.   Pass
I agree. I watch most of the Alaska shows too, knowing they are scripted and fake, however, I really enjoy watching them and the entertainment they provide to me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, carl_g said:

Interesting. You see them making mash with different fruit as their fermentables. I assumed it would affect the taste but I have never distilled anything before. i know about the proofing down to make it drinkable. I make damn good beer and I am intrigued with the process of making corn whiskey.

If using fruit they are making brandy. Different fruit makes different flavors but it' not really the flavor of the fruit

Corn or grain they are making whiskey usually

The ingredient other than sugar, water and yeast determines what type of liquor is being made. 

13 hours ago, carl_g said:

They will use pretty much anything with sugar, or is sugar, to make into liquor.  It's the sugar (fructose, sucrose etc) that turns into alcohol.  Using different ingredients can often be just due to economics.  Whatever is the cheapest bulk sugar can be used unless they are shooting for something very specific.

The flavor of the fruit doesn't exactly carry over the way you think it would.

• Like 1

Speaking of staged...I used to watch that show about car repo guys.  I forget the name, but most every job had a guy with a bat chasing after them.

Then a new repo show came out about a repo guy in Philly that was so boring, they pulled the plug after a few episodes.  "Maam, I'm hereto take the car"

"ok"

-the end.  :)