Sign in to follow this  
Danno

Assunpink Pheasant

Is it possible/practical to pheasant hunt at Assunpink without a dog? I took my son on youthday and the state provided dogs and guides and he loved it. I don't think he'll like walking around a field for hours and not even seeing a bird. I would hate for him to get turned off to hunting at such an early age. Outside of hiring a guide or going to a place like Bent Creek, is there any way to hook up with some one who just wants to run/train their dogs ? Getting my own dog is not an option at this time but might be in the future.  

I think you'd get a much better response if you change the title of this thread to "PLEASE HELP MY SON HUNT PHEASANT".

See what happens & who responds.  Don't concentrate on the expectation of hunting in your own backyard (desired place), and instead travel to where the dog(s) will be with their trainer/owners.  Don't let a tank of gas cause your boy to be disenchanted with bird hunting.  Instead embrace the ride as a chance to put the phone down & bond.

Places like Bent Creek & Gibersons in Pemberton love to work with kids.  You may want to make a few inquires to see if they have any customers willing to help you.  There are mentors in more places than you realize :) 

Rosey

• Like 2

Yes you can bag pheasants without a dog but it's really hiking with a gun and occsionally you get to shoot at a pheasant. I did it for years but when I hunt with my buddy's dog we get allot more birds. 

I'm going to send you a PM

4 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

I think you'd get a much better response if you change the title of this thread to "PLEASE HELP MY SON HUNT PHEASANT".

See what happens & who responds.  Don't concentrate on the expectation of hunting in your own backyard (desired place), and instead travel to where the dog(s) will be with their trainer/owners.  Don't let a tank of gas cause your boy to be disenchanted with bird hunting.  Instead embrace the ride as a chance to put the phone down & bond.

Places like Bent Creek & Gibersons in Pemberton love to work with kids.  You may want to make a few inquires to see if they have any customers willing to help you.  There are mentors in more places than you realize :) 

Rosey

Actually Bent Creek won't let anyone under 12 on a guided hunt. I'm not sure how strict they are with this but that's what their brochure says.

Then go to Giberson's where I was on a hunting party with a 9 year old girl last March!  She got to watch her mom harvesting birds with the owners son, Pat Giberson!  If you have a Facebook page I can share both stills & a video of that hunt.  For some reason this site won't let me share them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Then go to Giberson's where I was on a hunting party with a 9 year old girl last March!  She got to watch her mom harvesting birds with the owners son, Pat Giberson!  If you have a Facebook page I can share both stills & a video of that hunt.  For some reason this site won't let me share them.

I'm not on Facebook but I'll give Giberson's a look see. Thabks.

40 minutes ago, Danno said:

Wow. That's almost cheating. Did you have them for breakfast?

Lol. Well they were in the jeep while we ate some porkroll egg and cheese sandwiches..........tried to give some Taylor ham to the dog but he gave is the sign that he rather lick his balls instead

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 0:05 AM, Smokin .50 said:

• Like 2