nondisclosure

Club/Range

Hi,

I've shot at a few ranges and I've done the regular paper shooting. When I go to Vermont a few times a year, I get to shoot steel and am able to shoot outside on the side of a mountain on private property.

Here in NJ, it seems nearly impossible to join a club or range that has pits, steel targets and is outside. I do know fort dix has outside shooting but was also considering being able to bench shoot or go prone. 

Are there any clubs that don't charge $1000+ on membership, have pits, and allow shooting in a variety of manners along with steel targets? I am in Union county and don't mind driving within an hour or so to enjoy shooting at steel, while benched or prone. Also looking to do said shooting with both pistol and rifle, so I was also hoping 50-200 yard distances were available. 

Are there any ranges within these parameters anywhere in central to north jersey or am I asking for too much? 

Thank you in advance!

Cherry Ridge up in Sussex cnty is a huge outdoor range but no pits. What they do have is a handgun range with a few fixed plates at 35 yds but you can set your own paper target anywhere out to 25 yds and I believe there is a 50 out there also but other than compitionss never see it used. They have 2 rifle ranges, 50/100 w a few plates (again your own paper targets) at 100 and other range is 200/300 and can go prone. Also a rimfire plinking range full of random plates. And a sg range with 5 stand. Best part is price- $261 initial yr then renewals at $186 http://www.anjrpc.org/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1563621 said:

What is the fee to join CJ now? 800?

I think it's 300 for dues and 400 for amortization.  Last I knew they would let you pay the amortization fee in payments.  You can also pay off your dues for the next year with meeting attendance and work credit.  NRA membership required.

It may be higher priced than other places but it really offers more.  Pits, steel plates in pits for practice, 200 and 300 yard rifle, skeet. Bullseye pistol, indoor range open 24/7,  and archery range. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Old Bridge is $300 initiation (capital) fee and $384 annual dues.  http://www.obrpc.org/

Central Jersey is $600 capital and $300 dues.  http://www.cjrpc.org/index.cfm?wpid=21

Not too bad. I saw the CJ layout and it looks cool.

The prices are right and that's a good thing! 

Danno, I may take you up on that offer but that may have to wait until after Thanksgiving. I would be interested in signing up for the 2018 year. 

Suprised nobody mentioned Shongum, I think it may be in your driving "range" of about an hour, perhaps a little more.

There is a 100 yard maximum rifle range with covered bench area where you can shoot steel, a 20ish yard pit for handgun/shotgun where you can holster draw and shoot steel as well, a clay range, and a indoor pistol range as well.

Fees aren't nuts.

http://www.shongum.org/

4 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

Suprised nobody mentioned Shongum, I think it may be in your driving "range" of about an hour, perhaps a little more.

There is a 100 yard maximum rifle range with covered bench area where you can shoot steel, a 20ish yard pit for handgun/shotgun where you can holster draw and shoot steel as well, a clay range, and a indoor pistol range as well.

Fees aren't nuts.

http://www.shongum.org/

Thought there was a big waitlist for Shongum?

22 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

Not too bad. I saw the CJ layout and it looks cool.

The prices are right and that's a good thing! 

Danno, I may take you up on that offer but that may have to wait until after Thanksgiving. I would be interested in signing up for the 2018 year. 

CJRPC prorates your dues so if you join in July you'll only pay 150 for dues.  All dues come up for renewal in January.  I don't know how the other clubs do it.

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Thought there was a big waitlist for Shongum?

I waited about a year and a half.  Month by month they continuously let in a fixed amount of new members, as far as I know, so it may be awhile but you DO get in.  Which as you know isn't the case for other clubs like SCFGPA.

Just now, Pew Pew Plates said:

I waited about a year and a half.  Month by month they continuously let in a fixed amount of new members, as far as I know, so it may be awhile but you DO get in.  Which as you know isn't the case for other clubs like SCFGPA.

SCFGPA is open right now (via referral)

4 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

SCFGPA is open right now (via referral)

Ok, well, the points still the same.  With patience, Shongum is easy to get into :D

I haven't been to SCFGPA in ages, but I keep renewing because I'm afraid of wanting a membership again in the future and not being able to rejoin!

Keep in mind that OBRPC holds a lot of events -- This is good and bad 

If you like to shoot the events then members shoot for $5 -- non members are $20

It's bad because every weekend  the range is closed for events -- Can't shoot "on your own" till 3 or 4 pm

This is irrelevant if you have free weekdays and can shoot then

CJRPC is the best range in NJ that I know of. They also have one of the longest ranges at 300 yds. Finally they don't bother you to do anything but if you choose to go to meetings and volunteer then you get a discount on the yearly fee.

Speaking of longer ranges whatever happened to the 1,000 yd range that was supposedly being built in NJ? I thought it was in South Jersey.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, capt14k said:

CJRPC is the best range in NJ that I know of. They also have one of the longest ranges at 300 yds. Finally they don't bother you to do anything but if you choose to go to meetings and volunteer then you get a discount on the yearly fee.

Speaking of longer ranges whatever happened to the 1,000 yd range that was supposedly being built in NJ? I thought it was in South Jersey.

If you can get over the very steep initiation fee, cjrpc is probably the best value going IF you do a lot of shooting and different types of shooting and plan on doing it for the long haul...  Rifle, pistol, trap, archery, bonus if you are a deer hunter.  They have a tremendous amount of acreage that you are allowed to hunt on.

If you can get over the very steep initiation fee, cjrpc is probably the best value going IF you do a lot of shooting and different types of shooting and plan on doing it for the long haul...  Rifle, pistol, trap, archery, bonus if you are a deer hunter.  They have a tremendous amount of acreage that you are allowed to hunt on.
Or be like me do a lot of shooting the first year then get there a couple times a year if lucky. Hoping I'm caught up with work by Mid December and I can get in two solid weeks before indoor soccer starts. This way it will make up for the rest of the year.

7 hours ago, capt14k said:

gotta go to PA. 

Im a member at NHRPC and it goes out to 735yds incase u wanna try it out.