Zeke

T day plans, recipes etc

I’m going to try another beer can turkey this year. Only use the smoker box once this time. Brine the bird the night before. I’ve got some Larue dillo dust to try out as a dry rub. Grill and then mash the taters.

Whose frying, or that new thing out( no oil)

Or just traditional?

I’m smoking a turkey this year, on the Pit Barrel Cooker. 

We will be having my ‘famous’ cornbread and sausage dressing, green bean casserole (the Alton Brown recipe), my wife’s broccoli bake, mashed potatoes/gravy, and corn. I may make my mom’s homemade bread recipe. Mrs Tex might step in with one of her family’s traditional recipes....but she hasn’t told me which one yet. 

We are hosting dinner this year, having another couple we hang out with over to eat. He is on call on Thursday, so our dinner will happen on.  Friday. 

• Like 1

Smoking the 23# bird and homemade mac n cheese on my Rec Tec pellet pooper. Also making homemade stuffing, mashed taters, candied yams, corn, fresh green beans, coleslaw, homemade cranberry sauce, cheesecake and pumpkin pie. My favorite holiday of the year by far.

• Like 1

Brined, spatchcocked, smoked on the BGE.  I’ll make a couple of cast iron skillet baked corn breads that I’ll cut up for stuffing.  I’ll drink copious amounts of single malt while prepping than switch to red wine so I pass out cold for bed time. 

• Like 1

Googling spatchcock 

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’m smoking a turkey this year, on the Pit Barrel Cooker. 

We will be having my ‘famous’ cornbread and sausage dressing, green bean casserole (the Alton Brown recipe), my wife’s broccoli bake, mashed potatoes/gravy, and corn. I may make my mom’s homemade bread recipe. Mrs Tex might step in with one of her family’s traditional recipes....but she hasn’t told me which one yet. 

We are hosting dinner this year, having another couple we hang out with over to eat. He is on call on Thursday, so our dinner will happen on.  Friday. 

Isn’t that in the Christmas story?

20 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Isn’t that in the Christmas story?

Uhh, that was Christmas, not Thanksgiving. :D

My sister came through with my mom’s bread recipe. One of my favorite memories of my mom was her baking bread at Thanksgiving. I am going to carry on the tradition, and make it for our Thanksgiving dinner. 

• Like 5

This will be my first Thanksgiving off in a long time (Yay promotion!).

We are going to my Mom and Dad's for dinner. I'm going over early so she can teach me how to do everything.

She is one hell of a cook but her health is on a rapidly accelerating decline.

I want to make dinner for her and Dad next year at my house - because without some divine intervention, she won't be able to.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

This will be my first Thanksgiving off in a long time (Yay promotion!).

We are going to my Mom and Dad's for dinner. I'm going over early so she can teach me how to do everything.

She is one hell of a cook but her health is on a rapidly accelerating decline.

I want to make dinner for her and Dad next year at my house - because without some divine intervention, she won't be able to.

Awesome, HE! Learn the family recipes and keep them going. It will be VERY meaningful for your folks when YOU make them the traditional family dinner!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I am going to carry on the tradition, and make it for our Thanksgiving dinner.

18 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

We are going to my Mom and Dad's for dinner. I'm going over early so she can teach me how to do everything

Family traditions are often manifest through recipes .  Historically, holidays are the few times of the year time the whole family, near and far, gathers and celebrates.  The words festival and feast are very closely related.  It is only through the gathering and the festival that we can maintain the continuity of tradition.  It's kinda funny, I'm the only boy out of seven children and I'm the only one who knows most of my family recipes, both Sicilian and Irish.  I find it somewhat tragic when family traditions die out with passing generations.  I applaud you for carrying on the family tradition.  I believe It's important we all have a tangible link to our past.

• Like 4

Well in keeping with the new family traditions, the gang and I are headed up to try Rock Mountain Sporting Clays in Meshoppen, PA for an early round and then back in time for dinner.  Nothing big, just a simple turkey dinner with sides.  It's hard when most have to go to work on Friday, so decided years ago to cut back on the prep workload.

• Like 1

For the morning I'll be out hunting pheasants

Normally I fry the turkey outside while drinking as many beers as I can. There's only going to be 3 of us this year so fuck it we're going out for a buffet where I will continue the tradition of seeing how many beers I can drink in a short period of time LOL 

• Like 1

Changed from sparchcocked to completely deboned.   Scored myself a nice kamikoto boning knife and wanted to try it.  Brining it now and will lay the stuffing and roll and tie it.  

Baked my cornbresd in a cast irin skillet a this afternoon.   Yummy, I feel fat just thinking about it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Changed from sparchcocked to completely deboned.   Scored myself a nice kamikoto boning knife and wanted to try it.  Brining it now and will lay the stuffing and roll and tie it.  

Baked my cornbresd in a cast irin skillet a this afternoon.   Yummy, I feel fat just thinking about it. 

I’m gonna have to google spatchcock 

or sparchcocked.

:wacko:

Spachcocked is essentially butterflying the bird. Cutting it at the breast and laying it flat.

I have a specific cast iron skillet just for cornbread. It’s a 1920’s Wagner skillet. Don’t tell anyone, but sometimes I use Jiffy cornbread mix and jazz it up a little...

• Like 1

Just now, Displaced Texan said:

Spachcocked is essentially butterflying the bird. Cutting it at the breast and laying it flat.

I have a specific cast iron skillet just for cornbread. It’s a 1920’s Wagner skillet. 

Lol, of course you do.. jeebus you’re a machine.

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

You’re killing me giving it back to @Rob0115

It’s actually removing the backbone to flatten it.  It cooks quicker and much more evenly. Makes a great bird.  You can use good meat shears to do it.  I highly recommend it.  

This year I went a step further and deboned the entire bird.  I was hankering for a high quality boning knife, bought a filet too, so I went to the store bought and deboned it.  I’ll roll it full of stuffing and bake.  20 lb bird, less without skeleton will be about 11 mins per lb.  

I’m excited to try it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I have a specific cast iron skillet just for cornbread. It’s a 1920’s Wagner skillet. Don’t tell anyone, but sometimes I use Jiffy cornbread mix and jazz it up a little...

I have two I inherited from my grandmother.  I don’t know the make but they are just perfect.  I use them for meat searing and cornbread. 

I use basic recipe that’s never failed me. 

Cup each corn and white flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder and 1 baking soda, two eggs, 5 tablespoons butter, sugar to taste (1-4 tablespoons),1/4 tsp salt, 1cup buttermilk.  I make my own by using whole milk and the juice of a lemon, mix and let sit 5 mins. 

Melt a tablespoon of butter in your skillet and pour the mix in.  Bake at 400 15-20 mins. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I have two I inherited from my grandmother.  I don’t know the make but they are just perfect.  I use them for meat searing and cornbread. 

I use basic recipe that’s never failed me. 

Cup each corn and white flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder and 1 baking soda, two eggs, 5 tablespoons butter, sugar to taste (1-4 tablespoons),1/4 tsp salt, 1cup buttermilk.  I make my own by using whole milk and the juice of a lemon, mix and let sit 5 mins. 

Melt a tablespoon of butter in your skillet and pour the mix in.  Bake at 400 15-20 mins. 

I get my pan hot in the oven, rub it down with crisco (like my momma taught me), and pour in the cornbread batter. Makes a nice crispy crust on the bottom.