Zeke

T day plans, recipes etc

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

I get my pan hot in the oven, rub it down with crisco (like my momma taught me), and pour in the cornbread batter. Makes a nice crispy crust on the bottom.

I like greasing with crisco as well but mostly I’m lazy and throw butter in a hot pan and move it round. 

Nothin beats crisco. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2017 at 8:17 PM, High Exposure said:

This will be my first Thanksgiving off in a long time (Yay promotion!).

We are going to my Mom and Dad's for dinner. I'm going over early so she can teach me how to do everything.

She is one hell of a cook but her health is on a rapidly accelerating decline.

I want to make dinner for her and Dad next year at my house - because without some divine intervention, she won't be able to.

Very touching and if you need some help just give me a ring.  Trust me, I can cook. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

When I make cornbread to go with chili, I’ll finely dice some jalapeños and add a bit of shredded Monterey Jack cheese. 

Damn, now I want chili and cornbread. 

Never tried the cheese but have done the jalapeño.  I made jalapeño cornbread last week for my tailgate.  Smoked a pork butt, pulled it real nice.  Smoked pulled pork on cornbread is one of my favorites. 

Gonna have to try the MJ cheese though. Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

It’s actually removing the backbone to flatten it.  It cooks quicker and much more evenly. Makes a great bird.  You can use good meat shears to do it.  I highly recommend it.  

This year I went a step further and deboned the entire bird.  I was hankering for a high quality boning knife, bought a filet too, so I went to the store bought and deboned it.  I’ll roll it full of stuffing and bake.  20 lb bird, less without skeleton will be about 11 mins per lb.  

I’m excited to try it. 

Is that sparchcock or spatchcock 

asking for a friend 

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Cast iron is the ONLY way to make cornbread! Awesome!!

Yep.   I've got Grandma's (or maybe Great-Grandma's) cast iron.  Griswold skillets and a dutch oven.   A good bit over 100 years old.    Which means they're almost broken in.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zeke said:

Is that sparchcock or spatchcock 

asking for a friend 

Spatchcock. I make a boatload of typos on this efffffing iPad. 

Going to my daughter's for Thanksgiving.

My contribution to the meal is my bacon wrapped asparagus.  For those who are health conscious I make some with 4 stalks of asparagus.

I had some asparagus left over so I decided to make some...ready for this...pork roll wrapped asparagus!  Not to raise any further arguments I made it with Case's not Taylor so it is pork roll.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Like 3

Ham, cooked it last night, turkey is in oven, stuffing, sweet potatoes, reg potatoes, coleslaw,potato salad, apple pie,pumpkin pie and lemon Morang. so you know what we will be eating for the next week, all the kids and others are coming. Will bring mom and pop plates later today mom just got home from hospital so they cannot come today.. 

My wife and I are down at our beach house on the OBX of NC.  This year it is just the two of us since the family is scattered all over the U.S. right now.  Last night for dinner I made our traditional fresh crab imperial with bits of salty Virginia ham, along with my hot and spicy chili, all washed down with several local craft beers.  For Thanksgiving dinner my wife is cooking a turkey breast along with the key fixings.  My dish is the family recipe for creamed onions.  Cocktails will include rye Old Fashions during the football games, followed by a nice Australian Shiraz with the turkey.

Wherever you are and whom ever you are with, I wish all of of you a very happy Thanksgiving, sharing a delicious meal and enjoyable conversations with family and friends.

AVB-AMG

P.S. - Last night I should have made Displaced Texan’s delicious sounding jalapeño corn bread to accompany my chili.   Oh well, next time...

Sorry for the double post....

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Going to my daughter's for Thanksgiving.

My contribution to the meal is my bacon wrapped asparagus.  For those who are health conscious I make some with 4 stalks of asparagus.

I had some asparagus left over so I decided to make some...ready for this...pork roll wrapped asparagus!  Not to raise any further arguments I made it with Case's not Taylor so it is pork roll.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Why, is bacon unhealthy?

2 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

My wife and I are down at our beach house on the OBX of NC.  This year it is just the two of us since the family is scattered all over the U.S. right now.  Last night for dinner I made our traditional fresh crab imperial with bits of salty Virginia ham, along with my hot and spicy chili, all washed down with several local craft beers.  For Thanksgiving dinner my wife is cooking a turkey breast along with the key fixings.  My dish is the family recipe for creamed onions.  Cocktails will include rye Old Fashions during the football games, followed by a nice Australian Shiraz with the turkey.

Wherever you are and whom ever you are with, I wish all of of you a very happy Thanksgiving, sharing a delicious meal and enjoyable conversations with family and friends.

AVB-AMG

P.S. - Last night I should have made Displaced Texan’s delicious sounding jalapeño corn bread to accompany my chili.   Oh well, next time...

Sorry for the double post....

Rye old fashioneds sound good right now. I like to serve Turley Red Zinfandel with my turkey.  It’s a bitter of a peppery zin, goes well with bird.