Sign in to follow this  
Njsarge

Refurbished dell latitude laptop

I was looking at some of these on tigerdirect for my daughter for Christmas. Was looking the e7440 it had some nice features for under $400 such as 8gb ram i5 processor and 256gb ssd. Anyone have any experience buying one of these? I am open to suggestions. Was looking at this because it is an ultrabook, she wanted a Mac book air but couldn’t find anything in this price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's certainly better computer jockey's on here than me, but I bought a new latitude good while back and was pleased with it. If you like Lenovos, you can find them pretty cheap on Amazon.

If she is just doing some internet, word processing and powerpoint for school you don't need much horsepower.

• Like 1

I have not purchased a Dell in a while, but I've owned several over the years and build quality was never their strong point.  They fell apart after a couple of years of use.  I didn't mind at the time because I was buying a new one often, but if I wanted something to last I wouldn't consider one.  

Have you looked into chromebooks?  I have a $150 chromebook which is one of the best portable machines I've owned as far as usability, only thing better is a much more expensive mac.  Chromebook is the name for laptops that run Google Chrome OS.  The one I have is manufactured by Lenovo.  

A chromebook requires a google account and uses their services for things like spreadsheets, word processing, large file storage, etc.  It's not meant for high intensity CPU activities like games or media editing, but handles internet browsing and media consumption like a champ.  

If you want something that will run Windows I will second the Lenovo comment.  I have a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2009 that is still trucking along.  Built like a tank. 

20 hours ago, Njsarge said:

Thanks for the suggestions. A family member offered to sell us their older Mac book air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will not be disappointed. I resisted the idea of spending money on Mac for about 15 years. I used to buy windows / pc computers / laptops. Last one being a HP ultrabook, nice metal shell etc. But most of them physically fell apart with my usage. 

About 3 years ago I bought a Macbook Pro used from Criaigslist (I know..). Its still looks and works the way I bought it. Operating System upgrades are free, no virus infections, no UI changes every year.