Rob0115

What do you guys think of the 250/2500 series pickups

I will say the ride of the Raptor (gen2) is a lot more like a 3/4 ton truck. Nothing like a half ton imo. All half tons feel like they are cars compared to 3/4 + ton trucks. 

Ive had all kinds but wouldn’t buy another 3/4 ton truck unless I absolutely needed it for towing or plowing. They aren’t cheap, fuel mileage is usually crap unloaded. Depends on your needs really. 

That being said, the Fords look the best imo. Haven’t been up on the diesel wars lately but i think the 6.7l is a ford motor and not Navistar. Assume Dodge is still using a Cummins and Chevy still using that Isuzu motor/ Allison trans combo?

I’m actually tossed up between two classes when I go for a new vehicle... but little different needs.

My first choice is actually similar to the OP; diesel 2500 Silverado or Sierra. I would consider a 3500, but still single wheel.

Second choice is a diesel Colorado or Canyon.

Both trucks would be crew cabs, with as long of a bed without turning it into a pain to drive (not a super short bed that I’ve seen on some Silverados).

For me, I don’t have a use for towing. Only application I could see is the move South, but I’m actually considering getting the truck after the move. I am also considering if my girlfriend continues to work with horses, she would have an option for towing a trailer (not getting a long bed, so no fifth wheel; dogs take precedent, so crew cab is more important).

But mileage is also a consideration. I’m likely going to be commuting, as I’ll be working on the border... but rather not live that close. That is kind of where the Colorado/Canyon fits in, being they do get pretty good mileage... with decent power.

I stick with GM mainly for one reason... my father worked there for 30 years. Employee discount really is worth it, especially when you get something fully loaded. Fords work, but with all the ones I see, older pickup have a lot of rust issues. Being I keep vehicles upwards of 10 years, I don’t like seeing work trucks having a bed rust apart, and friends say that they have a similar rust issue in their personally owned Ford pickups.

2 hours ago, bry@n said:

Wow. Didn’t know that. I heard some great things about that diesel. The JGC people raved about them. 

I know somebody getting good mileage in an express with the 8 speed trans. 20mpg +\-

I drove mine from Montville to university park pa at 80+ mph and got 29 MPG in a 2016 JGC summit diesel.