Rob0115

What do you guys think of the 250/2500 series pickups

I’m thinking of getting a HD pickup.  I haven’t really considered the Ram but who knows.  My first two choices are Powersrroke F250 Platinum and the Duramax GMC Denali.  Let me tell you my use case/purpose.  Er, uhm I have none.  I’ll drive it on the beach by my house, go shopping, gun range and hunting. My real purpose is I’m like a 12 year old and love big pickup trucks. I’m also a huge diesel whore, all my SUVs are/were diesel.  I love the power and miss my V10 twin Turbo Touareg.  I have my full-size MB suv diesel which I want to get rid of. I’m thinking these nearly 1k lb/ft of torque monster can replace the hole in my heart that my touaregs left, only more reliable, more space and more comfortable.  

I really prefer the gmc Denali styling and interior, what I don’t like is the squared off wheel wells.  The Ford has more power but is a bit slower.  Where the Ford seems to have biggest edge is the technology. 

So which to choose, I’m at a loss.  I’m sure the GMC vs Ford thing will spark some religious debate.  The vehicles are virtually the same price so that’s no deciding factor either.  

Ok NJGF, let’er rip if you want. 

No diesel in half tons. Ford says late 2018 using the same diesel as the Range Rover has, Ford developed it. I’m really looking for monster diesel power, that’s the most important thing. I look forward to burning more than my fair share of oil and piss all the friggin’ tree huggers. 

• Like 1

i'm not much of a diesel guy....but i think the ford diesels have issues. unless they've gotten them squared away. if you were talking a 7.3 power stroke, i'd say the ford hands down. my only experience with the new gm suv's is a 016 tahoe that my pd fleet uses. that's gas powered though.

your best bet........drive examples of both. not a short "round the block" drive. drive the crap out of it. see which one you feel better in.

57 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Love my F150. But if you have money to burn, get a Raptor.
Loads of b&w, drinks gas and a great chick magnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no use for a pickup but if I were interested in spending that much I'd buy a Raptor.  A few friends have one and that is one impressive truck!

@Rob0115 a Raptor would satisfy that 12 year old in you.  It would mine!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

No diesel in half tons. Ford says late 2018 using the same diesel as the Range Rover has, Ford developed it. I’m really looking for monster diesel power, that’s the most important thing. I look forward to burning more than my fair share of oil and piss all the friggin’ tree huggers. 

Now is NOT the time to get into Diesels .....  They need to work out the DEF / Emissions systems, right now it is a band aid fix and they have many issues. I am currently employed at Penske, and trust me, they are a long way off from figuring out this DEF issue and trying to keep these trucks on the  road without clogged catalyst and DPF filters....

To give you my comparison..... Todays diesel emissions are equal to the debacle we had in the mid 80's with gas engine cars..... total nightmare... 

4 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Jus depends on needs. 

I just needs me some diesel.  I have 3 other diesel SUVs.  I like oil burnin'  

16 hours ago, bhunted said:

Love my F150. But if you have money to burn, get a Raptor.
Loads of b&w, drinks gas and a great chick magnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm already a chick magnet.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

No love for diesels in here, eh?

while i respect what they're capable of........i don't care for them as they are now. thanks to epa regs, they're so $^^$ over complicated it's scary. they were intended to be just a plain old engine that would run on peanut oil. then esso(i think?) found that they could market the waste produced from refining gasoline as fuel for the diesel engine...thus diesel fuel. so now, you get to pay as much for a gallon of waste(diesel fuel) as you do for a gallon of the product which produced said waste.

• Like 1

while i respect what they're capable of........i don't care for them as they are now. thanks to epa regs, they're so $^^$ over complicated it's scary. they were intended to be just a plain old engine that would run on peanut oil. then esso(i think?) found that they could market the waste produced from refining gasoline as fuel for the diesel engine...thus diesel fuel. so now, you get to pay as much for a gallon of waste(diesel fuel) as you do for a gallon of the product which produced said waste.

Diesel use to be a lot less than gas. Now its usually the same or more. Dang sludge runners.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Lol!Then get a diesel! Almost 400k on mine.

when I purchased it, diesel was cheaper than regular. 

Back to the original question of Denali v Ford Platinum or aptly GM vs Ford in HD luxury cruiser trucks. 

And to everyone that suggested it I am going to be driving a Raptor Friday at the dealer.  It isn't there yet or I'd have tried it out.  However, I'm mostly up for a luxury oil burner--cuz they make'em.  

17 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Back to the original question of Denali v Ford Platinum or aptly GM vs Ford in HD luxury cruiser trucks. 

And to everyone that suggested it I am going to be driving a Raptor Friday at the dealer.  It isn't there yet or I'd have tried it out.  However, I'm mostly up for a luxury oil burner--cuz they make'em.  

GMC.

I have a friend who has a 2017 F450 King Ranch dually.   It gets about 18mpg when it's not in the recycle charge phase or whatever you call it when it gets shitty gas mileage(like 9) for 20 miles every 150 or so miles.

He tows a 26,000lb trailer about twice a year.  The rest of the time he's driving around an $80,000 luxury truck that gets about 14mpg combined.  As far as I'm concerned, that's insanity, defined.

I have a dodge 2500 that I have hauled countless yards of stone, firewood, plywood, construction materials and to plow in the winter.   It has the snow plow package and it tends to rattle your kidneys out after a while since it rides so stiff.   It also has 33 inch tires and wheels so you're above just about everything but big trucks.

When I have a need for refinement, quiet, comfort and power, I get into my Acura that has nearly as much HP as the truck but does a 5.1 0-60 and will hit the speed limiter in about 20 seconds from a dead stop.

Everything has a purpose as far as I'm concerned.   I'll never understand short-beds in pickups.  All the inconvenience of a truck and can't haul anything either!

You’ll break. You will come over to the Dark Raptor side. You will feel orgasmic the minute you get in. So no snail marks on the seats hey? [emoji23]

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Diesel use to be a lot less than gas. Now its usually the same or more. Dang sludge runners.emoji23.png

I remember. so was heating oil, and kerosene.....which are essentially very close to the same thing......

given the choices.....ford.

• Like 1

I have had quite a few trucks. 

My personal preference is Ford. Dodge gives you best bang for your buck. Chevy is shite imo. 

Yiu may like oil burning but you’ll pay dearly for it. Dodge has a diesel in the 1500. Heard it’s great. 

6 hours ago, fishnut said:

You should defiantly try this during your test drive............I think the guy in the video went to slow, try it with more speed!

And make sure to flim it please 

Tanner Mays, the race car driver in American Top Gear, was running a Raptor across the desert at 80 mph.  The desert, no road, at 80 mph, in complete control due to the suspension travel built into the truck.

My friend (who's on his second Raptor because he wanted the latest tech) had no reservations letting me drive his Corvette but hesitated letting me drive his Raptor.

6 hours ago, bry@n said:

I have had quite a few trucks. 

My personal preference is Ford. Dodge gives you best bang for your buck. Chevy is shite imo. 

Yiu may like oil burning but you’ll pay dearly for it. Dodge has a diesel in the 1500. Heard it’s great. 

The eco diesels are gone in the small ram trucks. I have that same in engine in a Jeep GC Summit edition and it is terrific.