Sign in to follow this  
Displaced Texan

The science behind smoking meats

41 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I use amazing ribs as well!!:D great site!

Agreed!   And thanks for the 'science' link you initially posted.  Some good info in there.  

Always looking for good info, thankx.  Been hanging out at AmazingRibs for a long time.  I have three different smoker types, wood/charcoal, propane, and electric.  Each has their areas where they shine for smoking. I also built a pit in the yard and cook on that as I have plenty of oak and hickory wood to burn.  Takes a while to figure out the best way.  Maybe time for a "Roundup" in the spring.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

@Ray Ray, I am by NO means an expert on the pit, but I can churn out repeatable, tasty meats on my humble little PBC. 

That being said, once you put MY meat in your mouth, you’re gonna want to swallow!!

• Like 3

I will be smoking a turkey for the first time on the PBC as our Thanksgiving dinner main course. Using the Alton Brown turkey brine prior to smoking over apple wood. Hope it turns out as good as chickens have in the past. I’ll start a new thread for that. 

Christmas dinner will be bbq brisket. Mmmmmmm!! Leftovers will be made into smoked brisket chili!

• Like 3

I'm opting for turkey in the oven again, partly because I like stuffing in the bird, I like the crispy skin, I have a really good bourbon  glaze recipe, and this year's turkey is on the large side for the smoker.    I'll probably cook my first whole smoked turkey some non-holiday weekend, though I've got a turkey breast and some turkey drumsticks in the freezer, and I always like how they turn out smoked.

Yesterday I scored a prime rib roast that I'm planning to smoke for Christmas, with a cherry glaze recipe I've had tucked away.   Been looking for a prime rib roast for months--they're hard to find around here, other than immediately before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I will be smoking a turkey for the first time on the PBC as our Thanksgiving dinner main course. Using the Alton Brown turkey brine prior to smoking over apple wood. Hope it turns out as good as chickens have in the past. I’ll start a new thread for that. 

Christmas dinner will be bbq brisket. Mmmmmmm!! Leftovers will be made into smoked brisket chili!

Are you going with (Kingsford) charcoal and apple wood chunks, or straight wood?

Where are you getting the brisket?  I can't find a whole packer brisket (including the point) around here, just flats.

3 hours ago, Handyman said:

The science is easy. You take a chunk of meat and fill it so full of carcinogens that any germs that try to grow in it die. 

But at least it's tasty.

From what I've read, grilled meats have higher carcinogen levels than smoked meats; the polyaromatic hydrocarbons form when fat drips directly onto hot coals or burner elements.  Smokers don't generally use direct heat, and they operate at lower temperatures than grills.

Smoked and grilled are both yummy, of course.   Moderation in all things.  Including moderation.

• Like 1