Bully

My New Pea Shooter

118 posts in this topic

I'll hopefully be able to document this build as it progresses.  

About 2 years ago I picked up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223.  16.5" barrel (9 twist if it matters).  It was a really fun little rifle and I enjoyed the hell out of it.  I wound up upgrading some parts here and there but just couldn't get it to shoot as well as I would have liked.  So, I pulled the barrel, cuz that's what you're supposed to do, right??  I've since gathered other parts and have sold a few things to make that happen.  Where we sit:
R700 S/A .223 bf---all stock

McMillan A3/5 fully adjustable

PTG AI pattern stealth bottom metal with a 10 round mag

Weaver picatinny rail

Harris bipod

Vortex Viper HS/T 6-24 VMR-1

Rock Creek AMU/MTU 1/7 that I'll finish at 24-26" and thread for a brake.  Barrel should be here today or tomorrow (11/20-21/17)

The plan:

I have a friend that has helped me with every phase possible in learning machine/metal work,  that he can from a distance.  He's located in Michigan.  Licensed GS.  Builds rifles on the side and works in a medical machine shop as his day job.  He's offered to have me head out to MI to build this rifle with me, every phase.  From truing the action to cutting the threads and chamber.  He's very good at what he does and meticulous as hell.  To say that I'm honored and thrilled is an understatement especially given that no one in NJ is willing to help a guy learn.  I'm heading out there in the middle of February as it's my slow time at work and I'll only need the one day off.  So there it is.  I'll grab some  pics of the components shortly and the barrel when it arrives.  

For ammo, I'll be loading up Sierra TMK 77's for the time being and looking to stock up on Berger 80.5 Fullbore's in the future.  This will be a paper plinker to 300 for most of it's time outside and hopefully to 750 on steel at least once a year.  

I'm currently in love with small caliber rifles.  I'm hoping to learn to work on them at home as well and am currently tooling up for that.  It's a very frustrating yet rewarding part of the hobby. 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reamer ordered today and on the way in the next few.  I went with JGS as per my friend's recommendation.  They seem like nice folks and quite willing to work with me in several different venues.  I'm a complete newb to this stuff and went with his recommendation:
Minimum SAAMI spec

Live Pilot

Oil grooves in the screw

I'm looking forward to this little adventure.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be keeping an eye on this.  I may be next for a small caliber either .223 or 6mm x 47.  .223 precision is getting more and more interesting given how cheap it is to produce and I have like 100k pieces of brass.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bully said:

Reamer ordered today and on the way in the next few.  I went with JGS as per my friend's recommendation.  They seem like nice folks and quite willing to work with me in several different venues.  I'm a complete newb to this stuff and went with his recommendation:
Minimum SAAMI spec

Live Pilot

Oil grooves in the screw

I'm looking forward to this little adventure.

Let me know how you find the Americans that reside in MeatChicken.

following this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Let me know how you find the Americans that reside in MeatChicken.

following this

I kind of wish I understood the joke that I think is there

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

All this talk and I see no gun.

Sorry, got busy working.  Will post in the AM.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zeke said:

@Bully you are milling the chamber on the barrel , correct? 

 

Yessir. 

Blueprinting the action  

Cutting the tenon, threading, chambering and crowning the barrel. 

Basically all the metalwork. I may send it out for Cerakote but am unsure. Also not 100% on adding a brake. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bully said:

Yessir. 

Blueprinting the action  

Cutting the tenon, threading, chambering and crowning the barrel. 

Basically all the metalwork. I may send it out for Cerakote but am unsure. Also not 100% on adding a brake. 

No brake, target crown or thread for suppressor, in case I take it from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

I like your carpet @Bully

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

No brake, target crown or thread for suppressor, in case I take it from you.

What's the best thread for supressor, in case I ever get to a free state?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bully said:

Yessir. 

Blueprinting the action  

Cutting the tenon, threading, chambering and crowning the barrel. 

Basically all the metalwork. I may send it out for Cerakote but am unsure. Also not 100% on adding a brake. 

Muscle!

I would like some play by play on this.

thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That will happen.  Unfortunately not until February. 

With my job I can't bail until after the holidays and we're pretty busy thru January so February it is.  I'll be grabbing some additional bits as well: Badger recoil lug and such.  I'll update as the last couple of buts roll in and will answer any questions posed that I can.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bully said:

That will happen.  Unfortunately not until February. 

With my job I can't bail until after the holidays and we're pretty busy thru January so February it is.  I'll be grabbing some additional bits as well: Badger recoil lug and such.  I'll update as the last couple of buts roll in and will answer any questions posed that I can.  

Beyond any questions I even know to ask.

a+++

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reamer showed up yesterday.  It's a 223Rem minimum SAAMI spec that I will throat for the 80's.

To say that February can't get here fast enough is an understatement.  Although Michigan in February...  oy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did PTG hit you for on the reamer?  Also, if you are going to build the entire rifle you must paint it yourself.  

When the chopper craze was a huge thing 10-12 years ago there was an interview with Joe Martin who was the only builder that painted his own stuff.  He made a comment that after all the work I’ve done how can I put it in someone else’s hands that will see my vision.  He learned to paint and turns out amazing work.  You should do the same. 

My sure fire 5.56 can has the same 1/2 - 28 threading as a brake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

What did PTG hit you for on the reamer?  Also, if you are going to build the entire rifle you must paint it yourself.  

When the chopper craze was a huge thing 10-12 years ago there was an interview with Joe Martin who was the only builder that painted his own stuff.  He made a comment that after all the work I’ve done how can I put it in someone else’s hands that will see my vision.  He learned to paint and turns out amazing work.  You should do the same. 

My sure fire 5.56 can has the same 1/2 - 28 threading as a brake. 

I got the reamer from JGS.  My buddy recommended against the PTG.  Good stuff but the JGS is better according to him.  At this point, he's the boss.  It was just over 170 to the door.  Ordered Monday, here on Wednesday.  No complaints.  

I will paint the stock myself.  I have a bit of experience painting.  Although not to Joe's skill level, I've done some motorcycle tins and have a good idea what it takes to do a decent job.  I was mostly a flake and flame guy so flat camo will be a thing but I'll get it figured out.  

Thanks for the can specs.  As always, much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happened yesterday...

308 bolt face that will be a “resto-mod” .243 in a 40x stock with an M24 7twist Rock Creek tube. Will feed from the BDL bottom metal. Calvin 2 stage. 

Ill start another thread as it gets more real. 

 

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

A89B557F-0C62-4C95-822E-D3C8E5763E81.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bully said:

This happened yesterday...

308 bolt face that will be a “resto-mod” .243 in a 40x stock with an M24 7twist Rock Creek tube. Will feed from the BDL bottom metal. Calvin 2 stage. 

Ill start another thread as it gets more real. 

 

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

A89B557F-0C62-4C95-822E-D3C8E5763E81.jpeg

This is for a different build correct?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now