jackandjill

What NJ 2A organization runs seminars for Domestic Violence victims ?

Wondering if there is any NJ 2A organization that runs frequent seminars exclusively for Domestic Violence victims ? 

If its not done yet, what are some of the reasons ?  Are DV victims hesitant to reach out to 2A organization or go through ridiculous NJ firearm processes ? 

Are they worried about owning firearms in general ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackandjill said:

Wondering if there is any NJ 2A organization that runs frequent seminars exclusively for Domestic Violence victims ? 

If its not done yet, what are some of the reasons ?  Are DV victims hesitant to reach out to 2A organization or go through ridiculous NJ firearm processes ? 

Are they worried about owning firearms in general ?  

Wow, you and I are really aligned in our thinking! I've been noodling for awhile on the possibility of creating a relationship between one of the women's 2A groups/chapters in NJ - SAW or TWAW (or others I may not know of?) - and a local DV shelter. (Lordy, I wish I had more time!!)

Not EVERYONE wants to get a gun. But they could offer various services... first, a class on basic personal & home security - locks, alarms, lighting, dog, etc. Then, a class on the various self-defense options available - pepper spray, tasers, firearms - with the plusses and minuses of each - so that people can decide for themselves what they're interested in... and follow-up instruction from there. 

I have some familiarity with the DV system, and frankly, I CRINGE at the really infantilizing attitude directed towards these women --- oh, honey, you need to get a temporary restraining order --- as though a piece of paper provides any real security? It's B.S. Let me tell you, if a guy has you scared enough that you're sitting in a damn shelter, you need a helluva lot more than a TRO!!

And btw, for those who don't know, there's basically 2 kinds of DV shelters. Some are like prisons (but meant to keep people OUT) - no windows, remote location, cameras galore, bulletproof glass at the reception area, etc. Very intimidating when you think they need to be built that way! The other model is to have a series of homes in the community and women are rotated through them so that their S.O. doesn't know exactly which one they're at. It's pretty serious shit. (And yes, there have been MURDERS inside of DV shelters by determined ex's... so again... TRO, my ass!!) 

• Like 1

Thanks both. I can only imagine the challenges people in DV situation go through. But I am hoping there are people out there past the initial phases of fear, basic needs met and ready to exercise their right to 2A and avoid another Carol Bowne. 

I acknowledge that these people may need basic amenities met first, but I will be more than happy to donate money towards self defense training, basic firearms training, application processing, follow up with PDs etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, jackandjill said:

Thanks both. I can only imagine the challenges people in DV situation go through. But I am hoping there are people out there past the initial phases of fear, basic needs met and ready to exercise their right to 2A and avoid another Carol Bowne. 

I acknowledge that these people may need basic amenities met first, but I will be more than happy to donate money towards self defense training, basic firearms training, application processing, follow up with PDs etc. 

I think it would require your time, and travel as well

17 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@Mrs. Peel and

@jackandjill

I placed a call here:

http://www.njcedv.org/office-hours-contact/

waiting for a call back if the org is against the idea...

I would help in this endeavor....

Don't be surprised if you hear a "no" - those agencies tend to be full of very left-leaning progressives and (understandably) they are leery of men calling in claiming anything (because they think it may be a crazy ex trying to get the location of the shelter, yada, yada, yada).

So, let's see what they say. I'll be delighted if there's interest, but even if there's not... I still think it's possible for a local group (particularly a women's 2A group) to approach a local shelter. That might be a "softer" more effective approach. But we'll see! I'll be happy to be wrong... and appreciate your ready enthusiasm, Zeke. :D

And glad you opened the thread Jack & Jill. It really is such an overdue thing. The 2A community should take the lead on this - we're all about self-reliance, etc. - it's a natural fit.

And if someone chimes in and already IS doing this - so much the better!

• Like 2

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Don't be surprised if you hear a "no" - those agencies tend to be full of very left-leaning progressives and (understandably) they are leery of men calling in claiming anything (because they think it may be a crazy ex trying to get the location of the shelter, yada, yada, yada).

So, let's see what they say. I'll be delighted if there's interest, but even if there's not... I still think it's possible for a local group (particularly a women's 2A group) to approach a local shelter. That might be a "softer" more effective approach. But we'll see! I'll be happy to be wrong... and appreciate your ready enthusiasm, Zeke. :D

I’m fully on the same page... that’s why I called. I’m a man of action 

jus sayen 

Getting a foot in the door is the first big step.  Trust is a major issue.  Finances is another YUGE hurdle.  Most DV victims (especially those in a shelter in "the system") can't afford or aren't allowed to have weapons in the residence.  NJ laws disarm everyone under the same roof.  So a wife's gun registered to HER is confiscated the same time as the husband's.  And if you don't petition the court for its' return, you automatically lose your gun rights forever!

NJ's Domestic Violence laws are a mixture of feel-good legislation at best.  At worst, we have more Carol Bowne's stacking-up like cord-wood.  

Several women attend Tony Simon's "The 2nd is for Everyone:  Diversity Shoot" at Gun For Hire range.  $10 gets you range time, free ammo, free pizza.  The next one is in 8 days, on 11-30.  Starts at 6pm.  Open to EVERYBODY!  

Zeke, thanks for trying!  If they ever call back I'd be interested in what they have to say so we (CNJFO) can offer educational support.

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

Getting a foot in the door is the first big step.  Trust is a major issue.  Finances is another YUGE hurdle.  Most DV victims (especially those in a shelter in "the system") can't afford or aren't allowed to have weapons in the residence.  NJ laws disarm everyone under the same roof.  So a wife's gun registered to HER is confiscated the same time as the husband's.  And if you don't petition the court for its' return, you automatically lose your gun rights forever!

NJ's Domestic Violence laws are a mixture of feel-good legislation at best.  At worst, we have more Carol Bowne's stacking-up like cord-wood.  

Several women attend Tony Simon's "The 2nd is for Everyone:  Diversity Shoot" at Gun For Hire range.  $10 gets you range time, free ammo, free pizza.  The next one is in 8 days, on 11-30.  Starts at 6pm.  Open to EVERYBODY!  

Zeke, thanks for trying!  If they ever call back I'd be interested in what they have to say so we (CNJFO) can offer educational support.

Talk to @jackandjill.... I’m jus a helper.

personaly feel SAW is a better choice 

16 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Talk to @jackandjill.... I’m jus a helper.

personaly feel SAW is a better choice 

Will do Zeke.  The SAW ladies are great people.  I'm friends with most of them.  They have a knack for this kind of thing.

Yanno, maybe my acquaintance at pro-tec is not the person you want.  Some of the training is ... Well... Violent. Many of the women in the shelters are traumatized and having a guy do the training could freak them out.  He probably knows female trainers though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Yanno, maybe my acquaintance at pro-tec is not the person you want.  Some of the training is ... Well... Violent. Many of the women in the shelters are traumatized and having a guy do the training could freak them out.  He probably knows female trainers though.

Seek that. I’d appreciate it