antimatter

I like it and i want one!

11 hours ago, sota said:

as soon as you can get a determination installing a MEAN makes a formerly removable magazine be considered "fixed" or "non-removable" such that it removes it from the evil feature list in NJ, you let me know.

This is from their product description:

MLock replaces the spring and magazine release push button.  The operator removes the magazine push button and spring to replace with MA Lock.  Operator installs the bushing then threads the hex shape onto the magazine catch in place of the button.  The hex shape is then tightened until the head shears off to permanently mount the magazine catch.

That would appear permanent to me. 

56 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

This is from their product description:

That would appear permanent to me. 

I would tend to agree based on logic, but we're dealing with illogical lawmakers. The fact that you can insert a detachable magazine into it after the fact may be a sticking point. You could theoretically keep the rifle around without a magazine in the rifle and insert a loaded mag into it prior to shooting. Of course, if the magazine is already locked in it...

We need a baseline definition of what is meant by a "fixed magazine", "detachable magazine", and "ability to accept a detachable magazine". Of course, the legislature loves keeping things vague to trap good people trying to comply with the law, so good luck with that.

With that said, I might get one now anyway. It's only $25 shipped, which is way cheaper than a new non-pistol grip and new barrel/upper.

I’ll be sure to insert my mag on a stripped pistol lower before installing the MEAN lock and get it on video so nobody can ever tell me it accepted a detachable magazine after being constructed into a semi-auto.

By your logic, a 14.5” threaded barrel with a muzzle brake pinned and welded on would still be an AW/SBR in NJ because technically the threaded barrel still exists but is not readily usable. 

I agree that it could cause some head scratching but I think you’d be hard pressed to find a prosecutor that would persue a case where you can not possibly remove a magazine from a lower without either destroying the lower or destroying the mag lock product.

25 minutes ago, UMP45 ENTRY said:

By your logic, a 14.5” threaded barrel with a muzzle brake pinned and welded on would still be an AW/SBR in NJ because technically the threaded barrel still exists but is not readily usable. 

I agree that it could cause some head scratching but I think you’d be hard pressed to find a prosecutor that would persue a case where you can not possibly remove a magazine from a lower without either destroying the lower or destroying the mag lock product.

I would disagree. The 14.5" barrel was pinned and welded either prior to you taking possession, or prior to you having a firearm that it can go onto. My thinking is around constructive possession, which we all know that NJ loves.

I would like the MEAN device even more if it required the action to be open and required the use of a tool to insert a magazine the first time.

20 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

I would disagree. The 14.5" barrel was pinned and welded either prior to you taking possession, or prior to you having a firearm that it can go onto. My thinking is around constructive possession, which we all know that NJ loves.

I would like the MEAN device even more if it required the action to be open and required the use of a tool to insert a magazine the first time.

I hear you, but, if the first thing you do on the virgin stripped lower pistol receiver is slide the magazine into the well and install the MEAN lock - then at that point, the AR pistol lower has never been made into a semi-auto pistol/rifle/anything at that point. From whatever point after, If you make it into a semi-auto pistol/rifle, it would then at that point be required to have a permanent fixed magazine or else it would fall under the laws of an assault pistol and the list of characteristics that come along with that status.

:facepalm: You go in such circles Ray.

You change the subject then your new point rests on the fact that the subject has changed....

You never look at the why of the design - it's always "I don't like it, they should have done this."

You wanted to know why the design of the SCR was the way it was and not different.

"Why not make it a piston gun" - because then you can't use the AR uppers you already own with it and the whole reason this was conceived was to work with standard DI AR uppers. 

It is not designed to work with a SCAR.

It is not designed to work with an AK, Sig, CZ or Beretta.

It was not designed to be a anything other than an option for people that need an AR type rifle without a pistol grip that don't want one of those freaky paintball looking featureless lowers.

It is designed to work with AR uppers. As such, the design incorporates the bolt carrier with a tail and an action spring in the stock. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sota said:

The bigger problem is no FFL in NJ will transfer a stripped lower as a pistol.  If one would, even with the requirement of installing the mag and that lock at the time of transfer, that might make it worth doing.

I'm missing the part that says I need to do it that way. 

A lower receiver starts as an "other". It then becomes either a rifle or a pistol. You require a permit to purchase a pistol, which a receiver is not.

A lower receiver starts as an "other". It then becomes either a rifle or a pistol. You require a permit to purchase a pistol, which a receiver is not.
In NJ, the laws only allow you to acquire a long gun or handgun by use of a COE or P2P. If you use a COE, you are basically saying that the receiver will be built into a long gun.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, PK90 said:
11 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

In NJ, the laws only allow you to acquire a long gun or handgun by use of a COE or P2P. If you use a COE, you are basically saying that the receiver will be built into a long gun.

Okay thanks Paul. I forgot about the COE. 

I forgot to check the administrative code :facepalm::

13:54-3.13 Requirements for sale of a handgun or frame

(a) Every purchaser, other than a licensed or registered retail or wholesale dealer or manufacturer, or law enforcement agency as provided by this chapter, must present a valid permit to purchase a handgun to the dealer who is required to confirm the identity of the purchaser. A permit is valid for the purchase of one handgun or receiver.