USA123

Dogs

10 hours ago, Maximus said:

We lost a great friend and will miss him very much.

Losing a furkid is one of the most difficult things to deal with. Our pups give us their 100% love and attention and ask for very little in return.

Keep your spirits up @Maximus, the two of you will be back together some time in the future.

Rainbow-Bridge.png

Got a crappy story about the Monmouth SPCA...

I adopted Emma from them, so held them somewhat in high regard. Anyways, broke up with my ex and decided that her keeping both dogs was the right thing to do (she never would give up Hugo... her dog, and the two really got close; plus, I know Emma will have a great quality of life with her).

So, I went there to look at adopting my own. Main concern, wanted to have a dog that was good with kids (my new girlfriend has a 5 year old daughter; even though I’m not sharing this dog, I don’t want one that will hurt her daughter). Went there yesterday (5/25) after she got done with work, and the three we picked weren’t dogs that were recommended with kids. So the guy we were working with had one that he felt was good for us; Tommy, a one year old mix (resembled a Sato, and was small... 30ish pounds).

Dog was calm, and the three of us clicked. Told the guy I need to bring her daughter in, as that is my final deciding factor. Setup an appointment for today (5/26) at 12:00, to see how those two click. Her daughter was supposed to go to the boardwalk with up last night, wanted to stay with a friend, then decided at 5:00 that she wanted to go (is what it is). So, I suggest we meet the dog, just to see if he is a good fit. Call up, get the meet pushed up, and dog was awesome with her. There were two people working, so I happened to get the girl... and not the guy that we previously dealt with. Decided to adopt him, asked if we could pick him up Sunday... as we both are off and could get everything together. Only can hold for 24 hours. Ok, I’ll leave work early... and adopt him today at 4:00 (my girlfriend confirmed that it was pretty clear). So, go to the boardwalk, and on way home, stop at Target to get bowls, collar, leash, etc.

Went into work a little early, but stopped and got a crate from Monmouth Feed, as well. Was actually excited, and even my girlfriend couldn’t wait to see him tomorrow, as she worked tonight. Walk into the SPCA around 3:45, saying I’m here to adopt Tommy. Girl that was at the front desk had a puzzled look on her face, and remembered us from yesterday... “Tommy was adopted earlier today.” I was shocked... and even pulled a picture up on my phone to confirm it was the same dog. Yep!

I’m pissed around now, but looking out the door while I’m sitting there, I figured that he likely got a good home... so I’m happy for that. Pretty much the only thing that kept me from going off on the people there. Supervisors come in, tell them everything, find out the name of the girl that didn’t follow through with the stuff last night... and I will say they are very sympathetic. They also offered a discounted adoption fee, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way (it isn’t about the money... I’d have paid twice the fee for Tommy). Offered to look into other dogs that weren’t out, with one likely being a good fit. They actually are doing the evaluation tomorrow, and will have the dog held for us to meet (this was a phone call after I left... was very close to asking if she would be held like Tommy).

Right before this went down, I received a text from a private rescue about a hound that I was very interested in. Told her I found a dog from SPCA and said I was sorry... but not moving forward. Texted her while I was waiting in the SPCA to see if I could still meet that dog... said that she hates it when that happens. Took it as the SPCA has done this before, but I want to talk to her face to face before I confirm that. Luckily, she is still on board with me adopting the dog... which I’m trying to figure out a meeting either tomorrow or Monday.

So, my girlfriend isn’t happy with the SPCA... as she knew I was excited for the dog. Going to see tomorrow if she wants to check the second dog out... but even I’m not too keen on going back.

But figured I’d let members know to definitely watch out for stuff like this. We might not have got that close to the dog in the two meets... but when you start picking up stuff and deciding on a name, you really get pissed when some girl screws up a simple instruction, and a dog you wanted to bring home goes home with someone else. I’ll never not recommend going to the SPCA, as the dogs weren’t the cause of this... but definitely triple check things if you are coming back to pick up a dog.

A picture of Tommy...

97cd0ef949ae53b24d3464617252bc1f.jpg

Will post a picture when I adopt a dog.

47 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I adopted Emma from them, so held them somewhat in high regard. Anyways, broke up with my ex and decided that her keeping both dogs was the right thing to do (she never would give up Hugo... her dog, and the two really got close; plus, I know Emma will have a great quality of life with her).

So, I went there to look at adopting my own. Main concern, wanted to have a dog that was good with kids (my new girlfriend has a 5 year old daughter; even though I’m not sharing this dog, I don’t want one that will hurt her daughter). Went there yesterday (5/25) after she got done with work, and the three we picked weren’t dogs that were recommended with kids. So the guy we were working with had one that he felt was good for us; Tommy, a one year old mix (resembled a Sato, and was small... 30ish pounds).

Dog was calm, and the three of us clicked. Told the guy I need to bring her daughter in, as that is my final deciding factor. Setup an appointment for today (5/26) at 12:00, to see how those two click. Her daughter was supposed to go to the boardwalk with up last night, wanted to stay with a friend, then decided at 5:00 that she wanted to go (is what it is). So, I suggest we meet the dog, just to see if he is a good fit. Call up, get the meet pushed up, and dog was awesome with her. There were two people working, so I happened to get the girl... and not the guy that we previously dealt with. Decided to adopt him, asked if we could pick him up Sunday... as we both are off and could get everything together. Only can hold for 24 hours. Ok, I’ll leave work early... and adopt him today at 4:00 (my girlfriend confirmed that it was pretty clear). So, go to the boardwalk, and on way home, stop at Target to get bowls, collar, leash, etc.

Went into work a little early, but stopped and got a crate from Monmouth Feed, as well. Was actually excited, and even my girlfriend couldn’t wait to see him tomorrow, as she worked tonight. Walk into the SPCA around 3:45, saying I’m here to adopt Tommy. Girl that was at the front desk had a puzzled look on her face, and remembered us from yesterday... “Tommy was adopted earlier today.” I was shocked... and even pulled a picture up on my phone to confirm it was the same dog. Yep!

I’m pissed around now, but looking out the door while I’m sitting there, I figured that he likely got a good home... so I’m happy for that. Pretty much the only thing that kept me from going off on the people there. Supervisors come in, tell them everything, find out the name of the girl that didn’t follow through with the stuff last night... and I will say they are very sympathetic. They also offered a discounted adoption fee, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way (it isn’t about the money... I’d have paid twice the fee for Tommy). Offered to look into other dogs that weren’t out, with one likely being a good fit. They actually are doing the evaluation tomorrow, and will have the dog held for us to meet (this was a phone call after I left... was very close to asking if she would be held like Tommy).

Right before this went down, I received a text from a private rescue about a hound that I was very interested in. Told her I found a dog from SPCA and said I was sorry... but not moving forward. Texted her while I was waiting in the SPCA to see if I could still meet that dog... said that she hates it when that happens. Took it as the SPCA has done this before, but I want to talk to her face to face before I confirm that. Luckily, she is still on board with me adopting the dog... which I’m trying to figure out a meeting either tomorrow or Monday.

So, my girlfriend isn’t happy with the SPCA... as she knew I was excited for the dog. Going to see tomorrow if she wants to check the second dog out... but even I’m not too keen on going back.

But figured I’d let members know to definitely watch out for stuff like this. We might not have got that close to the dog in the two meets... but when you start picking up stuff and deciding on a name, you really get pissed when some girl screws up a simple instruction, and a dog you wanted to bring home goes home with someone else. I’ll never not recommend going to the SPCA, as the dogs weren’t the cause of this... but definitely triple check things if you are coming back to pick up a dog.

A picture of Tommy...

97cd0ef949ae53b24d3464617252bc1f.jpg

Will post a picture when I adopt a dog.

I'm not surprised at all. The spca in general sucks but ive heard quite a cew bad things about monmouth specifically.  There are so many private rescues that are so much better. Still have to do your homework though. St. Hubert is not a good rescue either, they are a bunch of liars right up to the "female dog" that runs the show. If it does not work out with the private rescue your working with let me know and I'll see if I can get some recommndations of other good rescues in your area. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CageFighter said:

here's a pic of my 4mo of GSD.

Image may contain: dog, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, dog, grass, outdoor and natureImage may contain: Valor VomRohaus, dog, grass, outdoor and nature

what harnesses do you use?

@Screwball  if you're willing to come to south jersey....a good friend of mine(who passed at only 47) used to volunyteer most of his spare time at the almost home rescue in pennsauken. he always spoke very highly of them there.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys.

Yea, we do maintenance work there and the AHS in Tinton Falls. Told my boss about it, as he wanted me to stop by after I picked up the dog... was shocked. Talked to my girlfriend during her break, and she wants to go to both look at the other dog, as well as give them crap about it. Will have to see how tomorrow goes, but right now, leaning with not going back at all.

The rescue I am dealing with seems pretty good, as is the woman fostering the dog. The application/phone questions I got seemed like a worse investigation than the ones I did for the NJSP... but when I started talking to the people about the dog (and even talking about Emma), they understood that I’m far from a s***bag that shouldn’t be given a dog. I kind of respect them for that, but I also can see where it might get too confrontative for someone who just wants to adopt a dog.

Hoping this dog works out.

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Right before this went down, I received a text from a private rescue about a hound that I was very interested in.

Sorry to hear about that. I never adopted any dogs from them despite living down the road from them but never heard anything one way or the other.

If you are interested in hounds, I used to volunteer with a local beagle rescue (some are random hound mixes). http://pennyangelsbeaglerescue.com/ The owners and volunteers are fantastic. It's a non-profit that constantly rescues from the south and high-kill shelters to prevent sad stories. Once we get a fence and doggy door, we'll probably foster. It's where I got my beagle-mix from. If you ever see a dog from them online you are interested in, I can talk to the owner to get your more details. Prices are very reasonable and include vaccinations/microchip/spay or neuter. Adoptions are at PetSmart in Mays Landing (about an hour or so from Monmouth County) on Saturdays. There were just some puppies through that were adorable as hell.

My pup is below.

14xpkqg.jpg

• Like 1

Really sorry about Max, all us long time pet owners know the pain of parting with furry family members.  In a word—it sux. Take comfort in knowing you provided him a great life.  

• Like 1

Went to the SPCA, as well as the foster family for the rescue... adopting the one from the SPCA. I’m even shocked saying that.

Called them around 12, said that the three of us (girlfriend and her daughter) were thinking about heading over. Supervisor who told me to contact her said she will be there to meet us. Everyone was extremely nice, and we didn’t bring anything up while meeting the new dog. The supervisor apologized to both myself and my girlfriend... and hoped that this dog would be a great candidate.

Dog is a female lab mix. Very calm dog, and was awesome with her daughter. She actually loved the dog, even more than the previous (had to talk to her about what happened in the car). The dog is being spayed on Tuesday, so would pick her up on Wednesday. Told the girl we were also checking the other dogs, who said that she will make sure she is ours if we get back to her today.

Went to the foster family, and they had three dogs. The one I originally was interested in (hound) was too crazy and constantly nipping our hands. Beautiful dog, but wasn’t a good fit. One of the two others was another I looked at online... but thought she was younger. Turned out to be just under a year old (tan Australian Cattle Dog... or so I was told), but was absolutely perfect with her daughter. Just a nice dog... but was told she had some issues from her upbringing. Working on walking with a leash, issues getting into cars, and would be scared of new settings. Considering that, I called the supervisor from the SPCA back when we left, and said we would adopt the dog.

I feel that the people at the SPCA will make sure this dog will be there on Wednesday... and bringing my girlfriend and her daughter to bring her home. If something happens, going to definitely be an eventful visit... but the rescue’s dog will be my next dog (she has stuff to work on, but I would do my best to get her comfortable... as I would see her being an awesome dog).

Didn’t take a picture of her prior to leaving, so will on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Dog is a female lab mix. Very calm dog, and was awesome with her daughter.

Can't go wrong with a Lab mix, great dogs. What is it mixed with?

Why was this dog at the shelter if it was this nice and calm? Who gave it up?

Why was this dog at the shelter if it was this nice and calm? Who gave it up?

Don’t remember the details, as we looked at a few dogs over the past week. Brought up from the south...

The other dog, who I’ll link if someone is interested, came from a hoarder in Brown Mills. Again, very calm... but definitely had a crappy start to life.

60d451e25489cd8f2655be3604657bab.heic

9439e20f6bab1b0b353bfd3eda910960.heic

Picked up Sharpie yesterday. Very happy with her, as she is an awesome dog. While I’m still annoyed with the previous screw up, without their complete incompetence, I wouldn’t have Sharpie today.

With that being said, I’ll never use the Monmouth SPCA again. Nothing bad happened with the actual adoption (I did get her), but their handling of the situation and then how they handled Sharpie’s adoption (misspelling name, when they have my license/application right in front of them... had to call up the microchip company and sit on hold to change that; bringing her out literally filthy; and a follow up call today about the rabies tag, which wasn’t answered at all, even though the person acted like they did when I requestioned her), I won’t walk back in there. The only nice thing I can say about them was they took $50 off the adoption fee... and to be honest, I couldn’t really care less about that (spend more than that on the original dog, prior to walking in to pick up an already adopted dog). Staff has gone very downhill since I adopted Emma...

Good looking Dog! If she does not tolerate the cone get a blow up collar from the pet store. Dogs tolerate them allot better. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0725C3RJX/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527797507&sr=8-1&keywords=blow+up+cone+for+dogs&dpPl=1&dpID=519sVSi8ygL&ref=plSrch

She likely doesn’t need it, but will make her wear it when in the crate (two more days of anti-inflammatory, so will follow the instructions and stop using it in three days). I had her with me majority of today with it off, and might have licked the incision once...

It is more annoying for the fact she catches every door jam with it.

• Like 1

It is more annoying for the fact she catches every door jam with it.

I had that same issue when I had my pup neutered. The blow up version was the solution. So much better.

• Like 1

Yet another reason why to stay away from dog "breeders" in and around Lancaster. I would not be surprised if the so called breeder is amish/ Mennonite. Hopefully the AG dosent let PSPCA take the lead. 

• Like 1